DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT Crew Lonestar
Color: Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:21
Bluetoof is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 5.7 First Oil Change

Just did my first oil change (followed the owner's manual break in instructions) then dropped the oil at 1,000 miles. I wanted to share how it went incase someone here could benefit.

Buying the Filter:
I went to Autozone and got the Mobile 1 Synth special with the Mobile 1 filter. They looked up the 2013 with 5.7 Hemi and gave me the M1-210 filter. When I got home I got under the truck and compared the filter... The one they gave me was way bigger. I wrote down the part number on the Mopar stock filter 04892339aa and then went back to return the M1-210. When they cross referenced the stock number it came back with M1-113. This looked much closer in size so I got it. (Note: I recommended they update their database, but I got the impression that wasn't going to happen).

The Work:
I pulled the truck up on my ramps (if you don't have a beer belly you can probably do it without lifting it, lol). The drain plug was a 1/2" socket. It took awhile to let all the oil drain out, and when that was done I put the plug back in. This part was simple.

The stock filter was on tight, I had to use the large plier oil filter wrench with the claws on it to loosen it. Then I got my large plastic bag (thanks to the forum members suggestion!) and wrapped it around the filter. I started turning it and the bag was catching all the oil, awesome! Then I ran into some issues, it was hard to keep turning the filter inside of the oily bag, I seemed to be turning it forever. Thinking I had caught most of the oil, I removed the bag and finished it with just a shop towel. I was careful to keep the filter upright when I pulled it down, but oil started dropping everywhere, all over my chest, all over everything haha! Messiest oil change ever. I think next time I'll drop a paper towel or shop rag into the plastic bag so I can get a better grip. My mistake was removing the bag.

I poured oil into the new filter, lubed up the o-ring and the threads and put the new one on. (Fingers crossed that it was the correct filter). The threads grabbed fine and after it touched I cranked it another 3/4 turn.

I added a 5qt and two 1 qt of mobile 1 5w/20 full synthetic (7 quarts). Started the truck and checked for leaks, all good. Dip stick shows full. One tip, if you have the truck on ramps it helps to stand on something so you're up higher when you pour in the oil.

Notes:
I read in the manual that it would be normal for the new motor to consume some oil. I would say I got the full 7 quarts back out, though hard to be exact since I spilled some removing the filter. I checked this by pouring the old oil into the empty bottles (also not an exact measurement but close enough). This also makes it easier for me to take it to the recycle place.

I read the debates on this forum over when to do the first oil change, but based on how dark and smelly the oil in it was I'm glad I did it at 1,000.

That's it, hope this is helpful to someone.
Sponsored links
Old 08-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetoof View Post
Just did my first oil change (followed the owner's manual break in instructions) then dropped the oil at 1,000 miles. I wanted to share how it went incase someone here could benefit.

Buying the Filter:
I went to Autozone and got the Mobile 1 Synth special with the Mobile 1 filter. They looked up the 2013 with 5.7 Hemi and gave me the M1-210 filter. When I got home I got under the truck and compared the filter... The one they gave me was way bigger. I wrote down the part number on the Mopar stock filter 04892339aa and then went back to return the M1-210. When they cross referenced the stock number it came back with M1-113. This looked much closer in size so I got it. (Note: I recommended they update their database, but I got the impression that wasn't going to happen).

The Work:
I pulled the truck up on my ramps (if you don't have a beer belly you can probably do it without lifting it, lol). The drain plug was a 1/2" socket. It took awhile to let all the oil drain out, and when that was done I put the plug back in. This part was simple.

The stock filter was on tight, I had to use the large plier oil filter wrench with the claws on it to loosen it. Then I got my large plastic bag (thanks to the forum members suggestion!) and wrapped it around the filter. I started turning it and the bag was catching all the oil, awesome! Then I ran into some issues, it was hard to keep turning the filter inside of the oily bag, I seemed to be turning it forever. Thinking I had caught most of the oil, I removed the bag and finished it with just a shop towel. I was careful to keep the filter upright when I pulled it down, but oil started dropping everywhere, all over my chest, all over everything haha! Messiest oil change ever. I think next time I'll drop a paper towel or shop rag into the plastic bag so I can get a better grip. My mistake was removing the bag.

I poured oil into the new filter, lubed up the o-ring and the threads and put the new one on. (Fingers crossed that it was the correct filter). The threads grabbed fine and after it touched I cranked it another 3/4 turn.

I added a 5qt and two 1 qt of mobile 1 5w/20 full synthetic (7 quarts). Started the truck and checked for leaks, all good. Dip stick shows full. One tip, if you have the truck on ramps it helps to stand on something so you're up higher when you pour in the oil.

Notes:
I read in the manual that it would be normal for the new motor to consume some oil. I would say I got the full 7 quarts back out, though hard to be exact since I spilled some removing the filter. I checked this by pouring the old oil into the empty bottles (also not an exact measurement but close enough). This also makes it easier for me to take it to the recycle place.

I read the debates on this forum over when to do the first oil change, but based on how dark and smelly the oil in it was I'm glad I did it at 1,000.

That's it, hope this is helpful to someone.
Great write up Bluetoof, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:56 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Nice writeup!! Reps for that

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 09-21-2013, 02:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 5.7L
Trim Level: Express
Color: copperhead
Rep:10
rawls is on a distinguished road

I just completed my first change too. 2013 5.7 with 885 miles. Mine used the 899 style filter, and thats what was on it from the factory too.

I looked over the forums to see the easiest way to get the filter off without the run-over going all over the steering assembly and into places that you cant wipe off. My motor was hot, because I wanted make sure that the drained oil had all the particles in suspension (being the first change after break-in).

Mine came loose reasonably easy. I used a band/lever style wrench (old school), working from the radiator side, and it was not a problem at all. Tight, but it wasn't so tight that it was aproblem. My wife's jeep patriot was too tight. that sucked the filter was all but destroyed and crushed trying to get enough on it so it would break free. But the overall oil change on the patriot 2.4 is pretty tidy, unlike this ram w/5.7.

I tried the bag, it caught most of it from the initial run-over, but once the filter was actually removed it went everywhere.

I have been changing oils on my vehicles and family's since 1979. I have seen some messy ones, and this truck ranks up there with the messiest.

Next time, I am going to use the bag, but I am going to drive the hole into the bottom (after the filter is partially loosened) and let it fully drain into the bag. then I will remove the filter and not get that huge splash, hopefully. or at least thats the plan.

its easy to remove the filter, but it seemed pretty hard to get a good position to tighten it. And there is a casting edge or oil pan edge right there. I cut myself pretty well on it.

I dont cuss jobs, they are what they are. But for such a large open engine bay, there were problems that really should not have been encountered. They could have used an oil filter adpter to position it for proper maintenance. In the world of cad modeling, I am not so sure it is not making things harder. It looks nice on the screen, but its a pain in real life.

Last edited by rawls; 09-21-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram LongHorn 1500 4x4 5.7
Trim Level: Long Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
vfrav8r is on a distinguished road

This is the oil filter is from hell. First oil change on my 2014 Ram 1500 5.7, and I blew out my plastic oil filter wrench. It's way too tight and zero clearance. I'm now off to the hardware store to find more tools. The zip tie on the electric power steering unit is now bloody from trying to turn the filter. . If I'm ambitious, lucky and stop bleeding i'll make a video...

--I found the strap wrench worked, crushed the filter. Oil was everywhere. Found out the PH2 Fram no longer works on the 2014 Hemi 5.7 and now it's the 10060 Fram. Good luck.

Last edited by vfrav8r; 08-13-2014 at 11:41 PM.