DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-19-2013, 01:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
Ram-Airhead is on a distinguished road
Default No acceleration, can't climb hills

Okay. First off, new here so hi everyone! Anyway...

So a few weeks ago my Ram started to accelerate poorly when I give it gas (like to pass someone on the interstates). Didn't think anything of it after it went away the next day. Fast forward to this past weekend, I took it on a 300-mile trip. About half way there, I'm climbing a slight hill on the highway, and once it downshifts and the RPMs rise, I start to slow down instead of accelerate. A second later the CEL (which was not already lit) starts flashing. To explain further, it was like driving a standard with the clutch half way down.

I pulled over and checked everything out, only issue I saw was that the trans fluid was a little over 1/2 quart low, so I topped that off. No change at all.

Once I got where I was going (college), I got the codes scanned at Advance:
- Random multiple cylinder misfire
- Cylinders 2, 4, 5, and 7 misfire

The plugs and wires were replaced after the problem started, but before the trip. Since getting the codes read and cleared, also replaced the cap, rotor, and coil, as well as a rotted vacuum connector coming off the throttle body. The problem persists and the CEL flashed again.

What scares me is I noticed earlier today that there's what appears to be oil in my coolant reservoir (no sign of any oil in the radiator). There is no sign of antifreeze in the oil, and with the radiator cap off, the coolant does not move or bubble inside.

Some more details:
- The truck runs fine when I'm cruising or idling. It only acts up when I'm accelerating or climbing a hill.
- It's not slipping out of gear as far as I can tell, and seems to shift when it's supposed to.
- The trans fluid looks and smells like brand new.
- The radiator had a slight leak about a month ago, my dad (it's his truck) put Prestone stop leak in and I haven't seen any puddles since.
- Temp gauge is normal, only warning light is CEL.

Someone help.. please.. Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 09-19-2013, 02:11 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram-Airhead View Post
Okay. First off, new here so hi everyone! Anyway...

So a few weeks ago my Ram started to accelerate poorly when I give it gas (like to pass someone on the interstates). Didn't think anything of it after it went away the next day. Fast forward to this past weekend, I took it on a 300-mile trip. About half way there, I'm climbing a slight hill on the highway, and once it downshifts and the RPMs rise, I start to slow down instead of accelerate. A second later the CEL (which was not already lit) starts flashing. To explain further, it was like driving a standard with the clutch half way down.

I pulled over and checked everything out, only issue I saw was that the trans fluid was a little over 1/2 quart low, so I topped that off. No change at all.

Once I got where I was going (college), I got the codes scanned at Advance:
- Random multiple cylinder misfire
- Cylinders 2, 4, 5, and 7 misfire

The plugs and wires were replaced after the problem started, but before the trip. Since getting the codes read and cleared, also replaced the cap, rotor, and coil, as well as a rotted vacuum connector coming off the throttle body. The problem persists and the CEL flashed again.

What scares me is I noticed earlier today that there's what appears to be oil in my coolant reservoir (no sign of any oil in the radiator). There is no sign of antifreeze in the oil, and with the radiator cap off, the coolant does not move or bubble inside.

Some more details:
- The truck runs fine when I'm cruising or idling. It only acts up when I'm accelerating or climbing a hill.
- It's not slipping out of gear as far as I can tell, and seems to shift when it's supposed to.
- The trans fluid looks and smells like brand new.
- The radiator had a slight leak about a month ago, my dad (it's his truck) put Prestone stop leak in and I haven't seen any puddles since.
- Temp gauge is normal, only warning light is CEL.

Someone help.. please.. Thanks!
There are several issues that could cause this. Your coil could be going bad and not able to keep up with demand. That goes for the distributor as well. Could have a plugged cat. Can't pull in more air if you can't push what's in there out. I don't think it's tranny related. I'm leaning more towards the spark issue, or lack thereof.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Replaced the coil, cap, and rotor the day before yesterday, as well as a rotted vacuum hose coming off the throttle body, and cleared the codes out... It sounded a little quieter when I started it, but as soon as I took it up a hill, it did the same thing and the CEL started flashing again.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:17 PM
Former Senior Member

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Random multiple misfires is basically a generic code for mis-detonation. Double check the routing on the new wires. Pay close attention to 5 and 7. There was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) on this subject that subjected the two cylinders to cross detonation.

2 & 4 could also be experiencing the same problem since you're referring to opposite sides of the engine. Under a load (as in hill climbing) it may be more evident since there is more strain on the engine. RRJ does raise probable issues, but since it started after the replacement I'd start with the wires. When it gets dark out, open the hood and grab a test light. Ground it, and trace the wires with the probe end. If you notice a spark or a white powdery residue where the wires cross each other, re-route them and see if it'll make it up Mt. Washington or Pikes Peak...depending on your location.

Just some food for thought. Clogged injectors don't deliver a proper fuel spray and can cause a detonation issue. Sure, the plugs may be firing, but spurts of fuel will cause poor cylinder detonation and the ecm won't be able to discern between the two. I'd try some premium and some injector cleaner in it also.

Keep us updated.

(Is the oil in the expansion tank dark and on the surface, pretty rainbows, or a white milky sludge?)

Last edited by Warlock III; 09-19-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I had an extra set of new wires, so I replaced them just to be on the safe side, double checked that everything was going to the right place. To clarify, the problem was starting before I replaced anything, but has been getting worse over time, with the repairs thus far not doing anything.

I threw a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in with a tank of 89 (the gas points I had weren't good on premium), I've probably driven around 15-20 miles since, no noticeable change thus far.

I cleared out the trouble codes, next time I went up a moderate hill, the light came on again (flashing then solid), and when I checked it, I got:
Random multiple cylinder misfire, Cylinder 2, 4, and 7 misfire. So it's staying on the same cylinders at least...

Also, when I give it throttle on the move, it's LOUD, like a really loud fan or something. As soon as I get up to speed or level off and start cruising, it quiets down and all is normal again.
Old 09-21-2013, 10:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Update: well the muffler rusted clean off thepipe today, but now I can hear something i didn't before. When I accelerate, it makes a loud whirring noise, like a strong wind in the woods. By loud I mean LOUD. It only does this when I'm moving, in park or neutral it does not make this sound. It's tied to engine speed, not wheel speed. Since this truck has to take me 300 miles next weekend, i'm starting to really worry about this one...