DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires

Notices

Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires General discussion related to wheels and tires.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 3/4 Wagon
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:39
Quasimoto is on a distinguished road
Default 16.5 Humvee Wheels Can Fit 2500 & 3500's

I had a 16.5x8.25 12 bolt Humvee wheel and 37x12.5R16.5 Goodyear kicking around the shed so I figured I would see if it would fit. I can tell you that from a previous experiment, I found out that the stock wheel with 7" backspacing would not clear our brakes and using a couple of 2" wheel spacers, that 5" backspacing will fit on the back, but on the front I needed both 2" spacers to create 3" backspacing to fit. Being as there was no way that I would stack spacers on a vehicle, I started looking around for some other options. After quite alot of research into modifying Humvee wheels I going into contact with Trail Worthy Fab for advice on what to do. (I am not putting them up here as an ad, as there are alot of other companies that also work with the 16.5 wheel they just happened to be the first one I talked to and they answered all my questions).
After talking to them, I found out that I could cut the center out of the outer rim and weld in a new center into the inner rim and if I used a pressed center (strongest) it bottoms out in the rim at 3.25" backspacing. So I had them send me a cut outer, 8x6.5 pressed inner, PVC beadlock and a refurbish kit.
So when the package got here it was time to get to work.

Here is the stock 12 bolt wheel, as you can see it is 2 piece with an O-ring between the halfs.

Here is the cut outer beside the stock one.

This is the back half showing how the new center will sit down in it.

Here is the mock up to see what is going to look like.

So enough playing around:
To put the new center in the inner half I started with removing the paint where I would be welding. I then taped some shims to the inside so that the new center would be centered and tapped it in untill it was seated on the ridge that is there. To make sure that it was fully seated I used a couple of C-Clamps to pull it down tight. I then put 4 tacks around the edge of the center.

To Be Continued
Sponsored links
Old 09-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I then bolted the wheel up to the rear of my truck to check for runout. Because I was planning just to use this wheel as a spare and while spinning it I found out that it had been dropped sometime and had an slight dent in one spot,I just used a square and a screw to make sure it was farely close. For an accurate measurement use a dial indicator and 20 -30 thousands is what you are shooting for. It was real close on the first try so I left it there and didn't have to cut any tacks to move the center.

Next before I welded it up I figured I would check for brake clearance. There was enough front and back.
Back

Front

Then it was time to weld it up.

Then paint.

To Be Continued
Old 09-20-2013, 06:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

While I waited for paint I started to put the tire together.
I use balancing beads in all my tires so I threw in a 10 ounce pack. The bag busts up as soon as the tire spins at any rate.

Lots of lube.

Drop tire over beadlock and push it down untill it is kind of in the center.

Then push the tire up against something and push forward on the beadlock with your foot and it rotates into the tire nicely. I just had to use a couple of screw drivers to get the beadlock the last little bit into the tire. Then just center the bead lock as close to possible inside the tire (help's with balancing).

To assemble the tire and wheel I started by placing the inner wheel on a 5gal bucket.

I lubed the tire, rim and beadlock up good and had a buddy help me place the tire over the rim, making sure the air hole in the beadlock was centered between 2 studs.

The new o-ring that came in the kit is slightly small so I stretched over my shop vac while I got the rest of my stuff together. I installed a new o-ring on the valve stem fitting. I then tested the o-ring to see how long I would have before the o-ring pop'd out of the groove, so I would know how long I had to get the outer bolted down (3min). If that doesn't sound like long don't worry only 3 nuts are need to get it pulled up tight enough so the o-ring stays.

When I got the outer ready to be placed on the inner I placed 3 pilot washers evenly spaced around the holes. The pilot washers are needed to center the outer to the inner half. I then got all my flange nuts ready as well as 3 regular nuts that I was going to use for the seating of the outer. I then lubed the wheel up again and put the o-ring in place and put the outer on the studs lining up the valve stem fitting with the air hole in the beadlock. I placed the 3 regular nuts on the studs that had the pilot washers. I then used an impact to suck down the nuts evenly untill the outer was seated. I then threw on the flange nuts on and sucked them down. Before I replaced the regular nuts with flange nuts I torque all the nuts to 50 lbs.

I then torqued up all the nuts to 80 lbs then 110 lbs. The last thing I installed was the valve stem and then I aired up the tire. Because the tire is being squished there is no trying to seat it.

Now time to install on truck. Because this was a test to see if I was going to order 4 more wheel/tire assembles, I put it on the front to see if my 5" lift was enough to run these 37's on 8.25"wide wheel with 3.25" backspacing. When I cycled the stearing it just touched my flare and the bumper valinse would have to be trimmed. So I would need a 6" or 8" lift or a grinder to make enough clearance. The other thing I checked was the wieght of the Beadlock assembly (145 lbs) vs my 35's on aluminium wheels (75 lbs). I probally would have done more mods to make these fit but at that wieght they would be sucking the fuel and power on the highway. So I am going to go with 37 BFG AT's which are only 1 lbs more then what I am running now and with no more mods.
But I did a splice picture to show what they would look like on my truck.

Hope this helps someone thinking of going to 16.5's.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

Can't believe I'm the first person to comment on this!

Nice write up!

Those actually look really cool. Shame they dont fit!

plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 09-21-2013, 11:10 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Fantastic write up! Don't know how this one slipped by me either! Reps for this!

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Engine: 2010-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 383hp 400lb/ft (2500/3500)
Rep:82
APSTRAM will become famous soon enough

Nice write up. Truck looks great.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:14 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:123
1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough

thats awesome...great work...reps

MODS in profile
Old 09-22-2013, 02:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1101
LowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud ofLowUFO has much to be proud of

Shit son. That is the most serious bit of modding I've read about in a long time. Well done! (Rep points pale by comparison, but here's some for you anyway.)