DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge RAM pickup
Trim Level: Big Horn - Pkg 26Z
Color: Blue Pearl Coat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:39
Jackdashack is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ram Man 01 View Post
Keep the foot off of the floorboard !!!!!!!!!
Ya! That's a good one. I said that above. But, that's the way I've driven for years. Thanks for the reinforcement. Shall I put and egg under the pedal! ":-DDD thanks again! Jack
Old 09-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, its been said that if you can keep the rpm's below 2000 you will optimize your fuel economy, you could also get a Watchdog engine monitor from Bully Dog (the Tuner has this also but if your not interested in using an engine tune this will give you everything else), it monitors your engine and you can use it to check for engine codes etc but it has a Driving Coach that will help you pull the most MPG out of your truck, Something to think about.

http://www.bullydog.com/product.php?ID=1
Old 09-24-2013, 09:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Actually, its been said that if you can keep the rpm's below 2000 you will optimize your fuel economy, you could also get a Watchdog engine monitor from Bully Dog (the Tuner has this also but if your not interested in using an engine tune this will give you everything else), it monitors your engine and you can use it to check for engine codes etc but it has a Driving Coach that will help you pull the most MPG out of your truck, Something to think about.

http://www.bullydog.com/product.php?ID=1
Wonder if it would trouble the warrantry? Maybe if the dealer installed it? I'm thinking they would not care for add-ons. BTW, this truck monitors a lot like that, exact water and oil temp/pressure. A host of other crazies. You can text and email by voice. Silly really, it just came with it.

This device sounds great as long as it's pretty user friendly to operate and the dealer oks's it! ":-D
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 BIG HORN
Trim Level: BIG HORN
Color: WHITE
Rep:16
RAWRAMZ is on a distinguished road

I'm at 3k miles and average mpg for all of 3k miles is 17. That's with some towing with my 4k lb boat.

5.7 hemi Quad
8 speed
Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWRAMZ View Post
I'm at 3k miles and average mpg for all of 3k miles is 17. That's with some towing with my 4k lb boat.

5.7 hemi Quad
8 speed
Wowza Rawramz! That's not bad at all, I'd live with that. I have the same engine but right now it's very new, not broken I guess, and about half the miles have been intown miles and it's averaging 13.5mpg. But again, it's very new.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Copperhead Pearl Coat
Rep:12
DanU is on a distinguished road

Use the Cruise Control at every opportunity.
Anticipate the Stops and Lights and coast there. The sound of the 8 speed downshifting provides entertainment while you do this. Sounds great on my Sport.
I've had my Ram for over 2 months. I have a 23 mile round trip for work, 16 of it is highway cruise, 2 laner with the cruise set at 55-57 depending upon conditions. Some in-town driving during the week also. Weekends involve a trip or two out of town to neighboring or nearby towns.
I'm averaging 18.5 MPG. Loving it! Hemi, 8 Speed, 3.29 axle, Trifecta bed cover.
Old 09-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanU View Post
Use the Cruise Control at every opportunity.
Anticipate the Stops and Lights and coast there. The sound of the 8 speed downshifting provides entertainment while you do this. Sounds great on my Sport.
I've had my Ram for over 2 months. I have a 23 mile round trip for work, 16 of it is highway cruise, 2 laner with the cruise set at 55-57 depending upon conditions. Some in-town driving during the week also. Weekends involve a trip or two out of town to neighboring or nearby towns.
I'm averaging 18.5 MPG. Loving it! Hemi, 8 Speed, 3.29 axle, Trifecta bed cover.
DanU, wow! 18.5!!! I would kill, well nearly, for that mpg. I've only got about 120 miles on this truck but I'm averaging 13.5. That's a little disheartening. How did you break your's in. I have a feeling I ought to break mine in like you. However, I do about as much town driving as straight road, so I suspect that knocks mine down. I also have the 8 speed automatic. Someone here said it takes a few thousand miles before it improves. Was that your experience? Thanks Jack ":-D
Old 09-24-2013, 03:27 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Copperhead Pearl Coat
Rep:12
DanU is on a distinguished road

Jack, I have 1825 miles on it. I should mention that mine too started out around 14. There's a lot to be said about the break-in. Your MPG should get better.
I don't drive like a dud all the time - I passed a slowpoke the other day going about 40. I goosed the Hemi and I was guessing "OK probably doin' 60." I looked down and I was at 82. What a ride!
Old 09-24-2013, 03:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanU View Post
Jack, I have 1825 miles on it. I should mention that mine too started out around 14. There's a lot to be said about the break-in. Your MPG should get better.
I don't drive like a dud all the time - I passed a slowpoke the other day going about 40. I goosed the Hemi and I was guessing "OK probably doin' 60." I looked down and I was at 82. What a ride!
haha! That's rich! After Jeeps and the last year or more my Mother's Sunfire so low to the road this thing does seem like you're crawling at 55mph. Well I take that into account then. Improve with age ... like us old geezers. Well I'd better speak for me and let you speak for yourself. I was always told I drove my Jeeps like and old grandpa. I suspect they were right. Every once in awhile the CHECK ENGINE light would come on. I knew all I had to do was goose if for a day or so and the light would go out. I guess I'm driving the RAM like that too. I should give it a little goose now and then. Don't most ladies appreciate that! And she is my new "babe" ... ":-D jack
Old 01-28-2014, 11:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:10
Contadino is on a distinguished road
Default Any Tips for Improving Gas Mileage

another idea is to drive 10% less. probably most of us could cut our driving by 10%. that would be the same as increasing our mpg by 10%.