DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubrunner View Post
worth the time and money spent is, well, a matter of opinion..... and mine probably doesn't matter right about now.
It isn't about opinions and you are right on course. First off, is there an issue with the transmission over-heating? Not that I am aware of. Since Chrysler has to warranty the transmission I am sure they have done exhaustive research and if a heat shield was needed, it would have been included.

Looking at the pictures and reflecting back on physics 101, the transfer of heat in this area would be at best, difficult. The only result of the OP's modification is a feel good. If transmission temperatures were taken before the modification and over heating was an issue and the modification proved to reduce the transmission temperature to operating specification then the modification would be justified but this data is was not made available. More importantly, Chrysler would be facing a design defect.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:09 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright Silver Mettalic
Rep:159
mineralram has a spectacular aura aboutmineralram has a spectacular aura about

If the OP thinks this going to work then so be it as long as he feels it making a difference then leave him alone, Personally i pull a 33 ft trailer with my truck and the worst thing i could do is insulate a line with hot fluid going thru it this is going to put more stress on the Tranny cooler. The lines are already made of aluminum which disappates heat very well. I crawled under my truck in my drive way after reading this on the weekend after a long highway drive and was able to grab those lines with my hands mind you they were hot but nothing that would make a difference to me. Bear in mind if anybody does this to there truck i would remove the insulation before taking in for service.
Old 09-23-2013, 05:03 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:106
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

Looking at the pics, I agree it looks as likely it will insulate the hot lines from the cool air and make the tranny hotter, as it will help cool from shielding from cat heat. Sice the tranny is really working when it's moving- I score it 40/60.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:11 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport Crew Cab Hemi
Color: White
Rep:10
rraulston is on a distinguished road

I notice most of you live in Canada....Then I'm sure this is of no consequence to you. I doubt that any of you would be able to match my gauge readings up there. Different story down here. I will take every degree I can get. I do value your opinions however. The 40/60 would have merit , in my eyes, if I had spent any money on the mod. I didn't. Therefore I rate it 50/50. Maybe it helps, maybe it don't. and 100/0, it can't hurt. I guarantee I keep out more heat than what I keep in. I only covered about 10" worth of line. The other 5 feet are still exposed. Go Cardinals!! (NFL)
Old 09-23-2013, 06:37 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Where is Sahuarita?

Grub out!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:22 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport Crew Cab Hemi
Color: White
rraulston is on a distinguished road

18 miles south of Tucson...60 degree days in the winter, over 100 days of 100 degree plus summers. We have 2 seasons here: Summer and construction....you ALWAYS get one or the other.....I think I would love the trees and snow in Canada....we just don't get/have that here. The last time it snowed, it melted off by 10am. Set a record at an inch!!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:07 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Crew Cab
Color: Black
dodgeitri is on a distinguished road

Wasn't that by design? I thought I read the 8 speed runs so efficiently they use to exhaust to help heat it up or it would never get to optimal running temp.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:54 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeitri View Post
Wasn't that by design? I thought I read the 8 speed runs so efficiently they use to exhaust to help heat it up or it would never get to optimal running temp.
He has the 6-speed, not the 8-speed. And while some 8-speeds do have a fluid heater, it does not involve the exhaust system; it operates off the engine coolant. And its purpose is to quickly get the trans up to operating temperature, since it is more efficient when warm than when cold. Without the heater, it would still get up to temp, but it would take longer.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:04 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:106
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
He has the 6-speed, not the 8-speed. And while some 8-speeds do have a fluid heater, it does not involve the exhaust system; it operates off the engine coolant. And its purpose is to quickly get the trans up to operating temperature, since it is more efficient when warm than when cold. Without the heater, it would still get up to temp, but it would take longer.
I'm glad I saw you post this same explanation as you did last year when you explained why the TQ isn't allowed to lock up for some miles in winter. it's been bugging me to ask and clarify you saying "it's more efficient". Maybe you mean to say "it shifts better"?
What doesn't make sense to me, is that 100% of transmission losses convert to heat energy, and nothing else (unless there is noise energy), so a cold "inefficient" tranny will self heat from slippage. Why use precious needed heat( for engine efficiency) from a cold engine, or slip a TQ? Seems like you are just stealing needed energy from one area to feed another. I know my mileage suffers in the winter when the TQ doesn't lock, which makes the engine run faster turning the un-needed mechanical fan faster etc...
Old 09-25-2013, 04:38 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Stripe View Post
I know my mileage suffers in the winter when the TQ doesn't lock, which makes the engine run faster turning the un-needed mechanical fan faster etc...
You also lose MPG in the winter because the air to fuel mixture is richer to help bring and keep the catalytic converters at temperature. In my climate, I see about one and a half miles per gallon between the summer and winter with winter being the lower.