DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Product Reviews

Notices

Product Reviews Have you found a great product, or a really bad one and you just need to tell someone about it! Post up a review for the benefit of all!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-21-2013, 10:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 dodge power wagon
Trim Level: power wagon
Color: black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:68
mb power wagon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmedic View Post
ok so I`m going to play devils advocate here (well kinda) I find it funny all the people that are saying they want to get rid of there tuner or smash it with a sledge hammer. While I think it is a stupid policy it doesn't affect me or most of you at all unless you plan to sell it. As for myself I know I don`t go out to buy a $400+ with plans of selling it. If I get rid of my truck the tuner will go with it but I don`t see that happening anytime soon. So again I`m not sure why people are getting upset and want to get rid of something that works fine and they like it because someone has to pay to unlock it. I am still going to buy one on the 1st unless someone that is so upset over this wants to give there's away for free I would be happy it pay the 250 to unlock it
well i know of one reason that most people would be pissed off. what if they buy it with plans of using on either the next vehicle they buy or have a couple of vehicles they can use it on but now they have to pay BD every time they want to use it on a different vehicle they already own or plan to buy.
Old 09-21-2013, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4362
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion about this is I bought the unit knowing that if I did not want it anymore I could put my truck back to stock and sell it, recover some of the money I invested, also, If I want to try it on a buddies truck I could, or if I changed my truck I could move it over to that one. And when I bought this unit, they said, no problem, you can do this, even the installation manual says you can do this. But they decided without telling anyone about it to implement this new policy. Make you download an update that now blocks you from doing so, without your knowledge. So now a product that I was told was allowed to use as indicated they locked on me and I lost that right. To me that is bad business. Fraudulent enterprise and just plain illegal. There is also no information on there web site stipulating this and there manuals still say that you can still do the move from one vehicle to another. That is deceiving to the customer. Now, if the want to implement this new policy on all new units being sold, fine, indicate it and good luck with sales. Anyone that bought the unit before this implementation should have the same rights they had when purchased. Being held hostage by a company purely for profit is BS in my books. I am not agree enough to bash a working product on my truck and loose all my investment, but I sure as hell will try and get them to clear it when I sell it. There is a large chance that will happen.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:31 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Color: Black
Rep:211
Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwracing65 View Post
i just found this post tonight. Which I would have gotten on the board last night before buying a used ( GT tuner ) one yesterday. Found out today that BD charges $250 to clear it... Now I've got one that I cant use. Anyone wanting to buy it for what I have in it ( $140.00 ) ? It's not that I needed it .. Just couldn't pass up the price at the time... But now I don't have the extra $250.00 to send it off.
Not sure about this but you might be fine because yours isn't for a 4th Gen (I'm assuming because of what you have listed) Again I may be wrong as I don't have a BD tuner but I was under the impression that this was for the 4th Gen tuners not 3rd Gen.

Have you tried it yet?
-Full Custom Dual Exhaust by Big Power Racing - Inertia Crazy Jay Plus Cam -Pacesetter LTs - BFI Composite #83 - Inertia Custom Tune - Dual DMH Cutouts - 87mm TB - 180* t-stat-
Old 09-22-2013, 03:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: tan
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
vwracing65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
Not sure about this but you might be fine because yours isn't for a 4th Gen (I'm assuming because of what you have listed) Again I may be wrong as I don't have a BD tuner but I was under the impression that this was for the 4th Gen tuners not 3rd Gen.

Have you tried it yet?
I found out by BD that I couldnt use it for the tuner since I have a 3rd Gen, but could go ahead and use it for a watchdog.. After buying it and taken it home I couldnt do anything with it because it wasn't " unmarried" from the last truck. So the next day I called BD back and now they said that its $250 to send it in to clear it.. So with $140 plus extra $250 equals $390 isn't worth it for just using it for a Watchdog. Cheaper to buy the watchdog. Now if I had a 4th Gen yes it would be cheaper to send it than buying a new one.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:05 AM

Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Here is the real information, I just got off the phone with BD, she call the powers that be and check the information that I have given her.

Any Hemi GT + tuner that is installed and linked to some 2011-2012-2013 truck ECU's that when you look at the Bully Dog tuner information in the tuner that gives the ECU info and you see under the VIN# line there is another line that says

"VIN H"

This Tuner is Locked with the ECU, and requires to be Hacked by Bully Dog to get it removed and un-linked to the ECU of your Vehicle. Even if you put the vehicle back to stock the tuner is still linked to that ECU, this has something to do with the encryption of the ECU.

If you want to move it to another Vehicle or sell it, and you have under the VIN# that line that says "VIN H" you will need to pay a hacking fee (not a reset fee) but a hacking fee to hack the tuner clear of the ECU data of the vehicle it was on.

This is only Tuners that have this "VIN H" there, any other Tuner synced to a Vehicle that does not have this "VIN H" or is not a 2012-2013 Chrysler product Does not have this Issue and you can move it to another Chrysler Vehicle or sell it after putting the current vehicle back to stock.

To locate if your tuner is linked to a vehicle and its a "VIN H" unit, go into menu, got to show settings and then scroll down to see the VIN# info. If Under your VIN# there is not another Line that says "VIN H" you are ok to put to stock and move it over to another vehicle or sell it.

If you do Have the "VIN H" your stuck and will need to fight this one

I am lucky, I just checked my unit and I do not have the "VIN H"

Here is a confirmation email from BD about this that just came in.

Hey Al,

This is the response I got when asking about it.

Under the vehicle info on show settings there is a spot for a Vin, and a Vin H. The vin H is the vin number that this tuner has “HACKED”, or unlocked. If there is a Vin in the Vin H on show settings, it needs the $250 transfer fee. If the Vin H is blank, there is no fee required. This mostly applies to the 2012+ Chrysler vehicles. Some 11’s, and not all 12’s, just depends on the ecm.

She is new so she may not be %100 familiar with the policy or heard incorrect info. The above is %100 correct though.

Bully Dog
Major Accounts Manager

Last edited by Asur; 09-24-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:09 PM

OK everyone check this out, after spending hours on the phone with Bully dog and telling them that they would be shooting themselves in the foot for implementing this new policy, this is the email I got tonight.

Hey Al,

Good news!

Transfer unlock fee is now known as void to switch applications. The Gt for Hemi will be transferable between trucks from today on. If you could do me a personal favor please spread the good news throughout the forums. I have always felt customer service is our best aspect and hope this proves we are committed to keeping a happy customer base :-)

Thanks and have a good night!

Bully Dog Technical Support

So everything is back to normal, and you can now move the BD Hemi GT+ from one vehicle to another. Hope this helps.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:24 PM
Vaguely exact

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:3148
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh, So they found out negative PR was spreading like wildfire & reversed their policy? What the hell were thinking in the first place? Way to stay on their asses though, Al! I think you spearheaded the policy reversal!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:17 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Color: Black
Rep:211
Gecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura aboutGecko has a spectacular aura about

It's amazing how fast things can change when people speak up and show their displeasure. Nice work Asur! I'm thinking you deserve the credit for this!
-Full Custom Dual Exhaust by Big Power Racing - Inertia Crazy Jay Plus Cam -Pacesetter LTs - BFI Composite #83 - Inertia Custom Tune - Dual DMH Cutouts - 87mm TB - 180* t-stat-
Old 09-26-2013, 12:49 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Rep:563
PappaJohnRam is a name known to allPappaJohnRam is a name known to allPappaJohnRam is a name known to allPappaJohnRam is a name known to allPappaJohnRam is a name known to allPappaJohnRam is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
I'm thinking you deserve the credit for this!
Without a doubt!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Thanks everyone, Think its a credit also to all that posted on the thread, I sent them the link lol so they could follow what everyone was saying, all those comments allowed BD owners a moment of thought, "maybe we took the wrong decision" everyone makes mistakes, this was one, But they fixed it and that whats important. I still like my Tuner and now I know I can move it to my next truck or car. Thank you to everyone who made this happen. Cheers