DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Team Drew/Captain

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

^ Not a thread jack at all ^

I see it as Point-Counterpoint. I appreciated the input of someone presently employed in the field of topic as on-topic. I realize that without saying that there are still knowledgeable people employed in the field. I also feel that most people do their best to take some measure of pride in what they do.

The difference is probably that you enjoy what you are doing and have become more familiar with the position over the last 3 years, and I in no way intended to make it sound like all parts stores employed slow blinkers. I just haven't been able to find a store in my area that has personnel that are knowledgeable in the field.

Just by stating your position Dana I can see that you are an asset to your company and most assuredly take pride in your work. Now if we can just persuade you into conducting a local seminar up here maybe it'll catch on.

I am getting somewhat familiar with one of the locals who has the same determination and attitude as you...now if he just hangs in there long enough to get a little more experience...

Counter-Point also approved

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 09-26-2013, 11:51 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Patriot Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:1900
gonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant futuregonefishin776 has a brilliant future

I agree with Drew and Dana.

Stupid people on both sides of the fence, as with everywhere.

And I wasn't mad at those guys at all, I just thought it was kind of funny, and how they got all offended that I went to their competitor to buy the part.

I do rely on those guys for some help, and they have helped me in the past.

I give respect when it's due
JVC Arsenal KD, Bilstein 5100 adjustables [maxed], aFe Stage 2 Air Intake, Superchips 3865, Husky Floor Mats, Saddleman Camo Seat Covers, Flowmaster 40 Series Muffler SI/DO, 20 % Tint. 35x12.5x17 Federal Couragia M/T, 17x8.5 VTEC Warlord wheels, -12mm offest.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Nitro
Color: Electric Blue
Rep:3930
BlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond reputeBlueJet has a reputation beyond repute

What you guys may or may not know is there was an extensive test she had to take prior to employment. It wasn't just filling out an app and getting hired for the position she was hired for. She HAD to be knowledgeable before they would even consider her.

Like what you see? Support this fine site!

Go here for great how-to's and make sure you know the rules!

Make sure you show off your Ram by posting pics in the GALLERY!!

L.O.B.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Team Drew/Captain

Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJet View Post
What you guys may or may not know is there was an extensive test she had to take prior to employment. It wasn't just filling out an app and getting hired for the position she was hired for. She HAD to be knowledgeable before they would even consider her.
I did not know that. But It does reflect the experience and knowledge she has. If I can put my position a little more clearly.

I wish we had more people that want to do what they're doing (like Dana) and not just doing it because it's what they could get.

I worked in scrap yards for most of my life, and I actually enjoyed doing it. I believe that it was reflected in my work. I also had many, many, customers and accounts that refused to deal with my boss, and would only deal directly with me. So I can relate.

I also know that dealing with the general public isn't always the easiest thing to do and can be overwhelmingly frustrating at times. Moreover, there's the old adage that the customer is always right, which would have been applicable in Kyle's situation. I'd offer a suggestion, but learned never to talk a customer out of what they were asking for because if I was wrong it'd come back and bite me.

So in short, I wasn't chastising the industry as a whole. Dana seems to enjoy her job which makes her an asset...Kyle let 'em talk him out of what he asked for which makes him an ass (I'm really really sorry Kyle...I didn't mean that but it just fit so well). Kyle shrugged it off and went where he could get what he asked for.

They both have the right attitude in their situations and that's why I personally approved BOTH Point and Counter-Point
They were both absolutely right.

DISCLAIMER

Last edited by Warlock III; 09-26-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:2538
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock III View Post
^ Not a thread jack at all ^

I see it as Point-Counterpoint. I appreciated the input of someone presently employed in the field of topic as on-topic. I realize that without saying that there are still knowledgeable people employed in the field. I also feel that most people do their best to take some measure of pride in what they do.

The difference is probably that you enjoy what you are doing and have become more familiar with the position over the last 3 years, and I in no way intended to make it sound like all parts stores employed slow blinkers. I just haven't been able to find a store in my area that has personnel that are knowledgeable in the field.

Just by stating your position Dana I can see that you are an asset to your company and most assuredly take pride in your work. Now if we can just persuade you into conducting a local seminar up here maybe it'll catch on.

I am getting somewhat familiar with one of the locals who has the same determination and attitude as you...now if he just hangs in there long enough to get a little more experience...

Counter-Point also approved
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin776 View Post
I agree with Drew and Dana.

Stupid people on both sides of the fence, as with everywhere.

And I wasn't mad at those guys at all, I just thought it was kind of funny, and how they got all offended that I went to their competitor to buy the part.

I do rely on those guys for some help, and they have helped me in the past.

I give respect when it's due
Me too, I agree with both. Dana presents a nice perspective from behind the counter. No question, there are excellent, good & bad apples in every bunch. Sometimes this gets lost with the frustration the OP experienced, myself included.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
I definitely understand the rant about the counter workers at some auto parts stores, I've seen it myself and, sadly there are more automotive know-nothings behind the counter than most of us parts salespeople would like to admit and they do tend to give us knowledgeable people a bad name but they do not represent all of us. Granted I have only been in the business for 3 years combined between 3 different chains, 2 large ones and one relatively small by comparison, but I like to think when I give a customer advice or recommendations, it's based on experience rather than guesswork. If I want to guess at a customer's problem, I should be in the fortune telling business, not selling parts.

Speaking for myself, there are some of us that don't just sell parts, we also trouble shoot, help diagnose the problem accurately and make sure the customer has what they need to do the job right the first time. That is based on my own experience, nothing worse than having the only vehicle you own torn down only to discover you were sold the wrong dang part! Some of us do take pride in what we do and I also like to think I have earned the respect and trust of the mechanics in my area. Why else would they call and ask for me or look to see if my truck is in the parking lot so they know I'm working? Sure, as parts salespeople, we're out to make money, but me, I'd rather take a smaller sale over none at all and I tell customers all the time, if I can save you money, I will, and I do want to see you back, just for something else because I want and value your business and I will do what I can to keep you in my store over the competition.

I do understand the frustration but, if I may speak from behind the counter, if only customers realized how frustrating it is when they come in knowing absolutely nothing about their vehicle! How simple is it to know year/make/model of what you drive? If you need a fuel pump or starter, YES, I need to know what size motor you have. Honestly, some days, I just want to look across the counter at the person standing in front of me who expects me to know (my response is my crystal ball is broken lol) or tells me it's my job to know what they drive......duh, it's your car!

Sorry for the thread jack, just had to speak my mind on this one.

- Cajun
Well, I'm glad I didn't use the word "all" LOL

Definitely true, good and bad everywhere you go. Seems like where I live it's mostly people that don't have a clue at the part stores.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:12 PM
effortless enunciator

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:3215
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

In my first post in this thread, I should have been clearer as to what kind of parts stores and people I was referring to. People like Dana work at the kind of place where they not only sell you parts, but try and give you some helpful advice and know-how. I WISH there was a place like that around me. Where I am, and what I originally referred to, there are "parts only" places with real dopes who just blurt out nonsense because their "buddy had that kind of problem back in '98, and this fixed it." Dana had to take and pass a test. The guys in the stores by me just have to show up half the time and be able to turn on the lights & the computer.

Last edited by PaulMys; 09-26-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Team Drew/Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
In my first post in this thread, I should have been clearer as to what kind of parts stores and people I was referring to. People like Dana work at the kind of place where they not only sell you parts, but try and give you some helpful advice and know-how. I WISH there was a place like that around me. Where I am, and what I originally referred to, there are "parts only" places with real dopes who just blurt out nonsense because their "buddy had that kind of problem back in '98, and this fixed it." Dana had to take and pass a test. The guys in the stores by me just have to show up half the time and be able to turn on the lights & the computer.
Speaking of dopes just blurting out nonsense...no one ever said she had to pass the test.

KIDDING< KIDDING! (I have to make that clear)

I forgot about the "my buddy" stories. At least your guys don't call 'em electric candles and the smart box.

DISCLAIMER
Old 09-26-2013, 07:56 PM
effortless enunciator

Vehicle: 2012 1500 reg. cab 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Rep:3215
PaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond reputePaulMys has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock III View Post
Speaking of dopes just blurting out nonsense...no one ever said she had to pass the test.

KIDDING< KIDDING! (I have to make that clear)

I forgot about the "my buddy" stories. At least your guys don't call 'em electric candles and the smart box.
Lmao. Well, I call them that. I was just using the new-fangled smart people words!