DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-07-2013, 05:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RekTek View Post
I though of that and checked but its definetky the M1-210. I put the old filter back on and I guess I'll just pay to have it done. This has really turned me off the Ram. I've always done all my own changes one every car I've owned and never had an issue. Just seems like such a ridiculous issue.
It's not Ram's fault imo, more Mobil's if I am reading your post correctly??

Just get the proper filter like AirborneSilva posted below and your problem is solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSilva View Post
This is the filter I got, it's close to 3 times the size of the dinky filter the factory put on and it fits just fine

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...899_0392785265
Thanks for the link, hopefully the Car Quest filter is basically the same size, or close to it as I too would rather run a larger one than the factory installed small one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
I don't know about y'all but I can't buy 7 quarts of 5w20 and a filter for the $20 that the dealer charges. I like changing my own oil as much as the next guy, but some of these service specials are just too good.
I got 2 free oil/filter changes from my dealer and haven't used them yet but if their regular price is cheaper than what I can do one for then I will definitely be letting them do it, time permitting.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:10
Savage02 is on a distinguished road

I use the k&n gold filter pt# HP2010 on my Ram and the Challenger I had before it with no issues. Its atleast twice the size but the gasket is the same and seals up just fine. Just have to add about another .5 quart of oil and its good to go.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:09 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:74
AirborneSilva will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
If you actually buy the special it still comes out to under $80 for 4 changes tax included though. I have read the fine print, I have also gone to the dealer with my dad (my ram is too new to have needed a change yet) when he has gone to do the special and it is still much cheaper than doing it ourselves. His truck has the 5.7L hemi.

I don't know, maybe the dealer isn't charging us the supposed additional charges that are stated in the fine print, maybe its a regional thing or something, but this has been my experience. Not trying to call anyone a liar or anything, just saying I would at least recommend that y'all ask your service departments how much it would be for your truck before assuming that it won't save you money.
What dealership do you use, I may have to check them out if I'm in a hurry and can't order oil or if I get lazy. Even if they do an oil change for $20 bucks I'd still rather put Amsoil in at 3 times the price but that's just me I guess...

2013 Ram Sport
1976 Corvette L82

Old 08-07-2013, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:474
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

We go to Ancira for service. Or I should say he does, I haven't needed service yet.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:43 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:74
AirborneSilva will become famous soon enough

Yeah Ancira is my choice as well, will have to take a closer look at their fliers but I know I've seen the fine print before say that Hemi's were an extra charge.

2013 Ram Sport
1976 Corvette L82

Old 08-11-2013, 01:11 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Steel Blue Metallic
Rep:136
ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default I have to agree, this is somewhat childish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneSilva View Post
Because of an oil filer you're turned off on the Ram!!! Just get the right filter or a ford Sorry but I find that petty
Airborne - I have to agree. There are so many oil filters that will fit the RAM. Then we have two board members post up exact oil filter numbers, perfectly good oil filters to boot, but yet he still seems confused, when other people were trying to simplify the oil filter selection.

The thread pitch (standardized) and the gasket interface (size) - it could be measured with calipers.

Never seen this in all the people I've taught how to change their oil. And the FIRST thing I show: remove the filter FIRST and verify that the gasket detached with the filter.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:59 AM

Vehicle: 2013
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Black Gold Pearl
Rep:11
firemarshallvin is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to update this post as it popped into my head as soon as I got to my filter. Went to do a change this weekend and noticed the same, the Stocker was smaller then the Royal Purple filter I was installing. At first I was worried, because it was significantly larger (RP), but after removing the Mopar and comparing the seal dimensions, they were identical. Seems that the aftermarket filter, and I'd imagine even the designated Mopar (besides factory installed) filter are larger and extend well beyond the rubber seal washer, where the factory unit basically stops there. New filter installed fine and was able to get a wrench on it for snugging. I will say too, that location is horrible!

Add-ons:
14" Magnaflow, BAK FiberMax Tonneau, Misc Whelen Emergency Lights and Switchpak.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:03 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010renegade View Post
Found this cross reference chart for the Mopar 4884899AB.

http://www.oilfilter-crossreference....SLER/4884899AB
Great link.

Thanks.

Grub out!
Old 09-19-2013, 03:19 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Steel Blue Metallic
Rep:136
ValleyRacer will become famous soon enoughValleyRacer will become famous soon enough
Default Gasket interface is what matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemarshallvin View Post
Just wanted to update this post as it popped into my head as soon as I got to my filter. Went to do a change this weekend and noticed the same, the Stocker was smaller then the Royal Purple filter I was installing. At first I was worried, because it was significantly larger (RP), but after removing the Mopar and comparing the seal dimensions, they were identical. Seems that the aftermarket filter, and I'd imagine even the designated Mopar (besides factory installed) filter are larger and extend well beyond the rubber seal washer, where the factory unit basically stops there. New filter installed fine and was able to get a wrench on it for snugging. I will say too, that location is horrible!
Firemarhshallvin - lots of people don't quite comprehend it's the rubber gasket that seals the filter to the engine, even If the oil filter "can" dimensions are different.
I ginny pigged two Royal Purple filters - you'll find that the RP filters, even if a touch pricey, do a fabulous job of keeping the oil clean
Old 09-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express QuadCab 4x4
Color: True Blue Pearl
Rep:44
GEOPYR8 is on a distinguished road

Rektek
The mobil M1-210 fits just fine I've got it on my truck right now. So what if the edge is wider that is not what seals, its the rubber gasket. The M1-210's gasket is the same size as the factory one. Mine has not leaked one drop of oil, it works perfectly & I have the 6 speed also.