DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
13Laramie is on a distinguished road

I am by no means an expert on this but have been given the royal run around for 4 months so I know a little.

I had the same issues with my 2013 tundra and switched radios as a result to an aftermarket kenwood DNN-770HD with a "SiriusXM" tuner.

Same issues now with the ram. It cuts out all the time with even the littlest twig near the road. In our 2013 Grand Cherokee we never lose signal but that's because it operates off the Sirius platform vs the XM on the Ram and Tundra.

So the line of, " the are the same company and the same signal" is bull. I wouldn't care much if it cost $2/month or similar but for the prices they charge, it should just WORK.

My theory is that if I only get signal 65% of the time, I should only pay 65% of the bill. Obviously this is not going to work, but this issue is very frustrating because like other people said, no one owns up to it.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: White
Rep:14
kev12345 is on a distinguished road

mine cuts out when i turn... i will not be renewing once the free year is up.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Prarie Pearl
Oldfatman is on a distinguished road

Same problem, been back to dealer twice. New firmware download helped it very little, but still cuts out, even when passing a cornfield.
I did discover when waxing my truck, I bumped the antennae and it moved. I wiggled it to what could only be described as the "center" position in it's mounting hole, and the reception has drastically improved. If that's the issue, they have to pull the headliner to gain access to the antennae! I believe the antennae and/or coax may have shorted out to the body. I suggest checking yours and see what happens
Old 09-25-2013, 05:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn Crew Cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:122
Socalgordon will become famous soon enoughSocalgordon will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Laramie View Post

Same issues now with the ram. It cuts out all the time with even the littlest twig near the road. In our 2013 Grand Cherokee we never lose signal but that's because it operates off the Sirius platform vs the XM on the Ram and Tundra.
Ummm... The Ram and Grand Cherokee has SirusXM.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram crew cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Red
rustysfan is on a distinguished road

I have an update, I called the Ram owners page contact and he told me, and I quote
"its because all the sats. are at the equator!!!" I all most choked on my water. I told this "clown" that in my work car I have a $49 unit and a magnetic ant. and almost never lose the signal. But my $42,000 truck does!!We need to band together on this and force them to fix it. If you agree send me a note at rustysfan@atlanticbb.net
Old 11-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Long Horn
Color: Black/Gold
PlymGTX is on a distinguished road

I am pretty darn frustrated with this radio. I too have the "drop out" issue and its very annoying. My last RAM never lost a signal, and both my Challengers have been excellent as well. I have been back to my dealer 3 times for a "flash" all with no success. Last night I had an upgrade that was supposedly the correct fix. Radio is worse today. Even the FM is bad. Reminds me of an old AM station. I absolutely LOVE this truck. But one would think if you spend this kind of $$, the High-end radio should work. I wish there could be a solution here. Be real interested to see how the 2014 models are..
Old 11-12-2013, 07:32 AM

Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:40
Big Al23 is on a distinguished road

My wife's Grand Cherokee has a taller antenna than the one on my Ram and it gets better reception. Both vehicles are better than it was on our old 2005 Gr Cherokee.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
gp2011ram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlymGTX View Post
I am pretty darn frustrated with this radio. I too have the "drop out" issue and its very annoying. My last RAM never lost a signal, and both my Challengers have been excellent as well. I have been back to my dealer 3 times for a "flash" all with no success. Last night I had an upgrade that was supposedly the correct fix. Radio is worse today. Even the FM is bad. Reminds me of an old AM station. I absolutely LOVE this truck. But one would think if you spend this kind of $$, the High-end radio should work. I wish there could be a solution here. Be real interested to see how the 2014 models are..
2014 not great either. Had a 2011 and it was much better. Mine drops quite a bit.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:38 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:117
Rusty289 will become famous soon enoughRusty289 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalgordon View Post
Ummm... The Ram and Grand Cherokee has SirusXM.
The Ram does indeed have Sirius XM, however just try calling the Sirius number and see what they tell you... Lol

They will tell you to call XM, they will say that they are the same company but they are still separate... Bla bla bla!

And if you're in Canada and call the Sirius or XM number in the USA then you are getting another number to call Sirius XM Canada..... Bla bla bla!

Long story short, the older Rams had a Sirius radio in them, the new ones have an XM version of the Sirius XM radio. The difference being that the signal and satellites are different. Anyone that had an XM radio in the past should be able to verify that they constantly dropped signal while the Sirius radios rarely did. My 09 Ram had Sirius and it worked great, the new one loses signal constantly and in places I never did before because the satellites are in different positions and there is only one for XM while Sirius has 2 up there all the time.

I think I posted some info on this a while back, I googled it and got a very interesting explanation as to how the 2 systems work.

Bottom line in I think Sirius XM is pushing the XM version of their equipment on everyone now, my guess is its somehow cheaper for them to operate or maintain. They are one messed up company to say the least, and its a shame because I love their programming but get so frustrated with the signal loss that its very unlikely I will renew when my free trial is over.

Also don't get Howard or Nascar now as part of the free trial, I called and they told me that its not included in the free trial and is part of their premium package which is another $5 a month. I am beyond annoyed with these morons!
Old 11-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2015 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: sport
Color: blue streak
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
bobohio is on a distinguished road

same issues here...I had a portable sirius sportster in my 06 jeep and rarely lost signal....I however lose signal regularly on my 13 ram 1500 crew cab....talked to both the dealer and xm and neither of them have solutions!! I will not renew when my free trial is up.