DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
swiater is on a distinguished road
Default 05 Hemi concerns

Hey, new username because I could not for the life of me figure out my old one or email that I used. I have had a 99 ram 1500 4x4 for quite a while now and am looking to upgrade. A 2005 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 with 101,000 miles has come up for sale in my area but I have some concerns. I am mechanically inclined and have always done all the work to my vehicles. What concerns me is that this thing was wheeled, how hard i do not know. It has a 6" rcd lift, 35" nittos, jasper rear end, and a replaced front end, heavy duty tranny and steering pump cooler. From what I could tell after two test drives and a long inspection is that the previous owners did not skimp out on anything. But, that doesnt mean it wasnt beat on in the woods. The current owner does not know anything about it as he bought it at an auction. Did a carfax and everything panned out just as he said it did with the auction and the dealership that got it as a trade in. Im just not familiar with how much abuse a hemi can really take. If i bought it I would probably bring it to over 200,000 miles so I dont want to get screwed in a year. Any input would be amazing!! Thanks for any insight
Sponsored links
Old 09-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Inferno Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:2008
Arth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond reputeArth has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiater View Post
Hey, new username because I could not for the life of me figure out my old one or email that I used. I have had a 99 ram 1500 4x4 for quite a while now and am looking to upgrade. A 2005 Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 with 101,000 miles has come up for sale in my area but I have some concerns. I am mechanically inclined and have always done all the work to my vehicles. What concerns me is that this thing was wheeled, how hard i do not know. It has a 6" rcd lift, 35" nittos, jasper rear end, and a replaced front end, heavy duty tranny and steering pump cooler. From what I could tell after two test drives and a long inspection is that the previous owners did not skimp out on anything. But, that doesnt mean it wasnt beat on in the woods. The current owner does not know anything about it as he bought it at an auction. Did a carfax and everything panned out just as he said it did with the auction and the dealership that got it as a trade in. Im just not familiar with how much abuse a hemi can really take. If i bought it I would probably bring it to over 200,000 miles so I dont want to get screwed in a year. Any input would be amazing!! Thanks for any insight
I can't comment on the Hemi as my 2005 had the 4.7. That being said overall the 2005 I had was perfect. Never had any electrical issues or anything else of the sort. Last I checked that truck has climbed well over 100k.

I personally think that it doesn't matter, as long as it wasn't abused, how it was driven as long as someone has done the maintenance!!

Spark plugs, transmission fluids/filters, rear/front diff fluids, and anything else that will help keep the truck running strong. I have seen many of the older(03-05) Hemi engines climb into the 200k range but those have been cared for.

See my old Mod thread and it's Journey here

Current Mod thread here
Old 09-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I agree, the Hemi will be fine. I'm not saying there can't be problems but I would be more worried about the rest of the truck, rust, front end parts etc. Lifts don't really help the front ends of these trucks out.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

I have a 2005 hemi qc and i beat the heck out of it on a daily basis (not off roading but driving aggressively)... I drag race it and tow my boat with it. Has over 244k miles on it on the original bottom end...they can take a beating..
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Old 09-26-2013, 02:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
swiater is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input. Everything felt good on both test drives and I caught the seller off guard both times so he had no time to clear any cel or anything. Front end work I don't mind too much bit would I have to go to the lift maunufactorer to get replacement parts like ball joints and wheel bearings? It appears to have been part of the lift kit
Old 09-26-2013, 11:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Color: Black
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 235hp 460lb/ft (manual and auto)
Rep:177
richmond has a spectacular aura aboutrichmond has a spectacular aura about

I just acquired the wife an 05 HEMI and could not be more pleased. It is 4x4 crew cab but everything on it is OEM. I don't believe it's ever been off road. I acquired hers with about 123,000 on it. We are well pleased with it. I purchase ball joints, pitman arms, track bars for non-lifted vehicles from time to time (pretty standard stuff). Best of luck. R...