DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-21-2013, 12:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 1500 sport dodge ram
Color: Gray
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
wareagle is on a distinguished road
Default 2002 dodge ram electical problems

I have had my dodge since 2002 and bought it new. about a year ago everything messed up bad. please help with how these problems can be fixed.
Only the driver side can control windows. window lock is off.
radio will turn off if I open the rear doors for at least a week.
rear auto locks don't work.

also my truck has 166,764 miles on it. what is the average price on a new engine. 1500 sport 4x4 4.7L V8
and can I put a new hemi in without changing stuff to it instead of putting a new 4.7 in it.
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2013, 01:50 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

So, you bought your truck when you were 11?

Wareagle, I see that you are new. So, welcome to the Z. I also see that you're having some issues with your '02 Ram. And we are here to help, but much of what you said doesn't make sense. And, as far as the windows, have you done any trouble shooting at all? Do you know how to trouble shoot? You need to help us help you. Be as detailed as you can. There are several issues that would cause the windows to only work with just the drivers side switch. We need to know what you have checked.
The radio will turn off if you open the door for at least a week because you will run the battery down.
Rear auto locks? I have no idea what you are talking about. You really, really need to be specific.

As far as the engine goes, a rebuilt is about $2000. A new engine is about $3500. No, you can't put a Hemi in it without changing just about everything except the transmission.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 quad cab 1500 4.7
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Burgandy
aguynamedmike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRamJet View Post
So, you bought your truck when you were 11?

Wareagle, I see that you are new. So, welcome to the Z. I also see that you're having some issues with your '02 Ram. And we are here to help, but much of what you said doesn't make sense. And, as far as the windows, have you done any trouble shooting at all? Do you know how to trouble shoot? You need to help us help you. Be as detailed as you can. There are several issues that would cause the windows to only work with just the drivers side switch. We need to know what you have checked.
The radio will turn off if you open the door for at least a week because you will run the battery down.
Rear auto locks? I have no idea what you are talking about. You really, really need to be specific.

As far as the engine goes, a rebuilt is about $2000. A new engine is about $3500. No, you can't put a Hemi in it without changing just about everything except the transmission.

Roger-
Would you mind elaborating on exactly what has to be swapped to go from a 4.7 to a 5.7 hemi?
I would assume the wiring harness and PCM is a given but what else?
I am a new owner of an 02' 4.7 4x4 and I loved the truck before I bought it. Unfortunately the lot sold it to me with no coolant and its been non stop problems since March. I have had one head machined, the other head replaced/gaskets. I have had the timing chain replaced with faulty parts 3 times in a row now, the radiator and bypass reservoir, along with the engine oil intercooler and tie rod ends and drivers side cv axel. Had the wheels rotated an balanced twice now and it still shakes at 60mph . And its still rattles when cold for 15 minutes.
Not to mention the electrical problem that is causing fuse #39 to heat up and literally melt the slot in my TIPM and makes my condenser fan stop working.
When I test drove I only took it up to 50 mph and had no idea how gutless this truck was. I am literally forced to drive it while its not running right. I have $1,700.00 and 26k miles left on my powertrain warranty and can probably scrape together another 2k.
Im wondering if my best bet is to upgrade to a hemi. From everything I have read this 4.7 is sh*t.
Sorry for rambling. Guys at the tavern are sick of hearing about it too
Old 09-26-2013, 11:01 PM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Rep:2918
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Wiring harness and PCM for sure. You'll have to change out the exhaust and probably the motor mounts too. Tranny should be the same.
I love my 4.7 and it has plenty of power. I have a Magnaflow catback exhaust along with a SC tuner on it. So power is not an issue and it is much, much, much easier and cheaper to work on than the Hemi.
If you're going to spend the money on getting a 5.7, plus the wiring harness, plus the PCM, plus the labor, you might be better off just getting a low mileage '04 or '05 for around 6K.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 1500 sport dodge ram
Color: Gray
wareagle is on a distinguished road

my dad bought in 2002 new, and he sold it to me here recently.
Old 09-30-2013, 08:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 quad cab 1500 4.7
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Burgandy
aguynamedmike is on a distinguished road

Every truck I have ever owned had better than 300 HP and gave me 15-18 mpg. Im not used to having way less power with half that mileage...
I really love this truck though, I would like a chance to drive it with nothing being wrong with it and I cant seem to do that!