DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-24-2013, 01:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 13 Hemi Ram Sport
Rep:10
HeMi BosS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
my tire store, told me to rotate at 10,000 miles
16093.44 kilometers, i believe is the correct conversion

10,000 kilometer = 6,213.7 miles

you will get varied answers to the oil & filter change times

when you go to synthetic oil, it depends on when YOU want to do it
i finally switched over when i had 42,000 miles on the Ram
some people do it after they reach around 3,000 miles

I change my oil & filter at 5,000 miles & i take my own oil & filter to the dealership to get it done, i buy the oil at the local Walmart, 5 quart jugs are $25 USD + tax, for my choice of motor oil, Mobile One synthetic, i buy a good quality oil filter, in my case that is a WIX product

others will use different mileages, like 8,000, etc.

my air filter gets checked for cleanliness about every 10,000 miles, i have found that mine lasts around 20,000 - 25,000 miles

im going to get my oil changed tommorow ,, but i called my local dodge dealer and spoke to the service center,, he said if im not really hauling anything i should stick to regular motor oil until 30/40xxx kms. Then switch to synthetic,, and also he said i could switch now aswell but it might leak.

so should i use synthetic tommorow or regular motor oil ?

if i use synthetic or regular oil what intervals should i do oil changes ?

last question is i called a local oil change place and they'll do a oil change for $36 with tire rotation and a bunch of other stuff like check brakes, fluid levels ect... so should i rotate tires now or just wait..

thanks for the help.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:07 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2640
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know anything about your independent oil change places up there in the North

but down here, i would not trust them to check anything on my vehicles
i took my last vehicle to one called JIFFY LUBE down here
i told them that i wanted a wanted a certain brand of oil & i be darned if they didn't use their own company brand of oil
i watched them do it, because i don't sit in their office watching tv, i stand right outside of their bay doors

i take my own oil & oil filter to the Dodge dealership & i pay them about $17 to change the stuff that i bring in
mostly because i know that they will do it right & know what else to check on the Rams.
that also insures that they have a permanent record of everything that was ever done to the Ram & they would have a very tough time proving that i did something that could VOID the Warranty
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 09-24-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 02:16 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:69
The Hemster will become famous soon enough

What the heck is KMS? 'Merica!
Old 09-24-2013, 06:58 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:62
tattwo98 will become famous soon enough

FYI Rebate for Mobil 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture7.jpg (108.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: White
ferret is on a distinguished road

Follow your owners manual. It states,change oil when system indicates to. It also notes under no circumstance should you exceed 16,000km or 1year which ever comes first. I just did my first oil change. Truck is 4 months old and when system indicated oil change required odometer read 15,458km. Don't fret, as long as you follow owners manual and your truck you'll be fine.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST w/SXT pkg
Color: Black Gold Metalic
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
dparise is on a distinguished road

Chrysler employs a lot of very smart, well paid people who's job it is to come up with the maintenance intervals. They spend a lot of money and time making sure they have those right. Follow the book, I'm not going to get into my usual rant, but lets just say, I have 2 points, firstly, when's the last time you heard of someone spinning a bearing? Burning a valve? needing a ring job?
Secondly, I can guarantee that all these people telling you that they do their oil changes at 1/2 or less than recommended intervals don't do their other maintenance at 1/2 intervals.(shocks, struts, trans fluid, coolant, etc...)
Old 09-27-2013, 06:25 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram SLT LONESTAR
Trim Level: 1500 SLT LONESTAR QC
Color: White
Rep:99
aepowell will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparise View Post
Chrysler employs a lot of very smart, well paid people who's job it is to come up with the maintenance intervals. They spend a lot of money and time making sure they have those right. Follow the book, I'm not going to get into my usual rant, but lets just say, I have 2 points, firstly, when's the last time you heard of someone spinning a bearing? Burning a valve? needing a ring job?
Secondly, I can guarantee that all these people telling you that they do their oil changes at 1/2 or less than recommended intervals don't do their other maintenance at 1/2 intervals.(shocks, struts, trans fluid, coolant, etc...)
Well said. I'm going to use my hard earned money for a better cause. If Ram is happy with it so am I.

Aepowell Sherman,TX.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:45 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 QC 4x4 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Rep:49
Tcon is on a distinguished road

Just my 2 cents:

The owners manual does state that the evic will let you know when to change your oil but don't let it exceed 16,000km.

I think I changed out my factory oil from conventional to synthetic at the 500Km mark (or was it 250km). The reason for that was to get that conventional oil out along with any factory debris.

The negative side effects of changing to synthetic early is a myth. Most performance engines come with synthetic from the factory.

My last truck (2003 Hemi) had synthetic since the 250Km mark and is still going strong at 250,000KM (never a single repair either).