DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 ram 1500
Color: white/gray
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
eddied1 is on a distinguished road
Default for experts only

Hey all. I have a few problems with my Ram. So here is the readers digest version:
About 2 months ago, my truck started acting up, wouldn't run, continual backfiring & stalling. Checked with a computer and bad cam shaft sensor was the code. So after new cam shaft sensor, new crankshaft sensor, new plugs & wires, still no go. Someone suggested to check fuel pump pressure. Was only 17 lbs, so purchased an aftermarket pump/sending unit, cleaned tank and installed and only was getting 23 or 24 lbs of pressure. The truck would idle but still backfired and didn't run great. That is when I noticed that I most def have a short somewhere. When brakes are applied the truck stalled, when I put it into reverse, the truck stalled. Without turning on the lights of any sort, the brake lights(or parking lamps) are on softly. When I pulled the fuses for the brake lights and the reverse lights, it didn't stall. I'm told its probably a ground. I have checked every ground i can find but to no avail. I did have the truck on the expressway at 70 mph but I had to accelerate slowly, if I gunned it, it would backfire and almost want to stall. So I'm about $800 in parts and labor(labor was done by a friend) its still not running right. I also bought a different aftermarket pump and installed it but got the same reading for fuel pump pressure, 23 - 24 lbs. Please, please, please help!!!! Any ideas and/or suggestions so greatly appreciated. Thanks all.
Sponsored links
Old 09-13-2013, 10:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 95 & 98 1500 Ram 4x4s
Trim Level: SLT & Sport
Color: 1 Blk,1 Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:36
Screamintrashcan is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I ain't no expert, but do you have a lift on that unit? The reason I ask, is I had a harness chafe thru on my 95, many years ago, and that caused a ton of grief, I have a 4" body lift on it. on a dark night, with help, you need a taillight observer and a creeper and a good flashlight, and start wiggling wires, you may get a spark, or you may get flickering dim taillights. You are definitely not receiving 13v at the fuel pump, and the cylinders are starving, at less than 35 PSI. I also had a left front t/s illuminated, and dim taillights, continuously. One other thing to do is pull your add on trailer plug, they connect behind the taillight lenses, the hoppy plug may be all green internally. Good luck!
Old 09-18-2013, 12:35 PM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I'm no expert either, but I did stay at a Quality Inn Express recently.

I'd personally check the ground to the rear lights and inspect any trailer wiring/harness that may be installed.

Unplug the rear lights and check the sockets for a melted connection. The wiring runs down the driver's side of the frame above the fuel tank. There may be corrosion or the wires may have gotten pinched if the tank was dropped instead of the bed being lifted for the fuel-pump replacement. It could be as simple as a rear bulb cross connecting in a melted socket. Pull the lights out of the rear and take it down the block and back.

If they don't return any results, I'd lean towards a neutral safety switch.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi
Trim Level: 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:177
brondondolon has a spectacular aura aboutbrondondolon has a spectacular aura about

i had a back fire issue and when id give it gas it would want to die on my 96 i had about 7 years ago. my issue turned out to be reverse polarities on my msd ignition though.

i wonder though maybe some one with more experience can tell me im wrong. hes saying that when he pushes on the break and puts it in reverse it stalls. could his coil be going out and giving just enough power to keep the truck running at idle but when there is a draw in power even though its only a little bit it causes an insufficient amount of spark to the distributor?

this seems like one of those issues that you could spend a ton of money on and in the end having to take it to a shop. one thing that i used to do when id be having trouble and couldnt figure out an issue is drop it off at a dealer for a $90 diagnosis the run some tests figure out the problem and then tell you exactly what it is then you go home and replace the bad part. thats what id do at least and its a lot cheaper haha hope you figure every thing out and let us know what you come up with.
S&B CAI, Y-pipe muffler delete, Diablo intune, Hemifever, custom tune, 180 thermostat, BT oil catch can, smoked, tail light and 3rd breaklight, 5000k retrosolutions 55w HID headlights and fog lights, LED in all exterior lamps, red calipers. Future mods: 87mm TB, 3000 stall torque converter
Old 10-30-2013, 03:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram
Color: burgendy
Rep:10
doctorg is on a distinguished road

Check out your fuel pressure regulator to be sure it is not stuck in a part open condition.