DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2
Trim Level: Lariat
Color: Gray
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
apensity is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Heat/No Heat/Heat/No Heat... grrrrr

So sometimes my '01 1500 318 will blow hot through dash, then get cold, then get hot again, then cold... I can hear gurgling behind the dash quite often, but not necessarily when temperature of air changes coming through vents. Also, my temp gauge goes up quickly to like 3/4 (even when it is like 50 degrees out) and then it will drop to less than 1/2 in a matter of a few seconds, then the hot air comes out of the vents. Totally confused here. Have checked MANY posts, but none describe this issue that I have seen, so sorry if it is a duplicate.

Sponsored links
Old 09-23-2013, 09:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 sport
Color: BLACK
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:51
Nemmisis1 will become famous soon enough

It's your tstat... Sounds like it get stuck and when your engine ges hot it builds pressure (higher) and blows open the stuck thermostat.. Replace it or open it up to inspect it.. Maybe corroded if dirty flush your whole system out
Old 09-23-2013, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Green
Rep:107
eight-bit will become famous soon enougheight-bit will become famous soon enough

Heater core.

They leak, let air into the system, causes gurgling noise. The noise seems to come from right against the firewall, slightly to the passenger side, right?

Notice your windshield fogged up from the inside in the mornings?

Massive fluctuations on the temp gauge are caused by the air in the system from the leaking heater core.

Source: went through the exact same thing with my '00 Dakota.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:27 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:1266
Stump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud ofStump3r has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemmisis1 View Post
It's your tstat... Sounds like it get stuck and when your engine ges hot it builds pressure (higher) and blows open the stuck thermostat.. Replace it or open it up to inspect it.. Maybe corroded if dirty flush your whole system out
Quote:
Originally Posted by eight-bit View Post
Heater core.

They leak, let air into the system, causes gurgling noise. The noise seems to come from right against the firewall, slightly to the passenger side, right?

Notice your windshield fogged up from the inside in the mornings?

Massive fluctuations on the temp gauge are caused by the air in the system from the leaking heater core.

Source: went through the exact same thing with my '00 Dakota.
Both of these!!!! I'd do both being as you have to dump all your coolant to do the heater core anyway.

Big Red my old 2011 Sport

Enjoy big benefits with a subscription to RamforumZ, become a site supporter today!

Don't forget to upload pics of your Ram in the Gallery!

Great how to's and lets not forget the Rulez.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1997 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brown
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
melon8657 is on a distinguished road

just saw this thread so not sure if you have the problem fixed.

I had the same problem on my '97 Ram w/360 when I bought it last November. Replaced t-stat, and heater core but still had the problem. Took the water pump off to look at it and the vanes on the pump were gone, so when I was stopped the engine temp would heat up but going down the road the temp would drop.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:15 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Ram ORE 4x4 5.9L
Trim Level: Laramie SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:55
Wh1t3nukle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by apensity View Post
So sometimes my '01 1500 318 will blow hot through dash, then get cold, then get hot again, then cold... I can hear gurgling behind the dash quite often, but not necessarily when temperature of air changes coming through vents. Also, my temp gauge goes up quickly to like 3/4 (even when it is like 50 degrees out) and then it will drop to less than 1/2 in a matter of a few seconds, then the hot air comes out of the vents. Totally confused here. Have checked MANY posts, but none describe this issue that I have seen, so sorry if it is a duplicate.

Yup, it has nothing to do with the tstat.

if you don't have any leaking fluid on the passenger side floor, then the heater core remains intact so far.

What you have is a combination of or separately a thing called "wild vents" or the "Heater blend" door is broke. These are both vacuum related.

Do a search for "wild vents". For this one, you may just have a broke vacuum line. Easy places to check first is passenger side of the engine. Find a vac line coming out of firewall. Is it intact? Follow it to the intake manifold as you'll find more lines, 1 going down behind the engine and 1 going back over to the under the battery. Are they intact? Is there a larger union of these lines connected to the intake manifold on the passenger side? Another place is getting on the ground and looking at your front axle, assuming this is 4x4. There are 2 lines that connect to the passenger side of the axle tube. Again if 4x4, look at the passenger frame rail above the axle to find hard lines that take those same vacuum lines to the tcase. Are the intact?

For heater blend door, this is responsible for mixing the hot/cold air. The unit is located under/behind the glove box. The door resides on a pivot made of awesome plastic and this thing degrades/breaks. A little actuator motor rotates it when you adjust the temperature rheostat on the dash. Search "Heater Treater" for a cheap fix. Search YouTube for videos on how to replace it.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wh1t3nukle View Post
Yup, it has nothing to do with the tstat.

if you don't have any leaking fluid on the passenger side floor, then the heater core remains intact so far.

What you have is a combination of or separately a thing called "wild vents" or the "Heater blend" door is broke. These are both vacuum related.

Do a search for "wild vents". For this one, you may just have a broke vacuum line. Easy places to check first is passenger side of the engine. Find a vac line coming out of firewall. Is it intact? Follow it to the intake manifold as you'll find more lines, 1 going down behind the engine and 1 going back over to the under the battery. Are they intact? Is there a larger union of these lines connected to the intake manifold on the passenger side? Another place is getting on the ground and looking at your front axle, assuming this is 4x4. There are 2 lines that connect to the passenger side of the axle tube. Again if 4x4, look at the passenger frame rail above the axle to find hard lines that take those same vacuum lines to the tcase. Are the intact?

For heater blend door, this is responsible for mixing the hot/cold air. The unit is located under/behind the glove box. The door resides on a pivot made of awesome plastic and this thing degrades/breaks. A little actuator motor rotates it when you adjust the temperature rheostat on the dash. Search "Heater Treater" for a cheap fix. Search YouTube for videos on how to replace it.
Never heard of "wild vents". Quite an interesting phenomenon. Thanks for the education and the great post.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:39 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Dark Cherry
Rep:162
anothernewb has a spectacular aura aboutanothernewb has a spectacular aura about

the blend door issue was real common on both of my old GM's. (99 and 03) the darn automatic climate control system commanded the doors to fully cycle each time it started up. Well... the problem there was that over time the gears would wear and the program couldn't compensate for the slack, so it either cranked the door over spec - stripping the gears, or paused the door, jamming the system. PITA. had mine replaced twice.

the gurgling sound indicates air or boiling in you coolant system. something there needs to be addressed. bleed the system, water pump, heater core, tstat. something is out of spec.

Livin life one truck payment at a time.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2
Trim Level: Lariat
Color: Gray
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
apensity is on a distinguished road

Leaking freeze plug and water pump, filled the fluid back up and it is fine. So now I just need to JB Weld the freeze plug (quick fix, hard to get to freeze plug) and replace the water pump. Should be good to go then!
Old 10-21-2013, 04:27 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Voonderbar! Thanks for the update. GL with the fixes. Keep us posted as to how it goes.