DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500 & 2011 Wrangler
Trim Level: ST
Color: white
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:35
Wandell is on a distinguished road

Yeah, and there are still a few XRT Pro and Mini Max "race tuners" out there, but they are becoming scarce.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 2500HD
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:563
Iqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to all

Anything you do to the truck for performance they are going to tell you that it voids the warranty (even if you install a K&N to replace the factory filter by the way don't waist your money on that). with that said I have a CAI from Bill Custom Intakes and have not had any issues at all. The tube that goes from the filter to the turbo has a diffuser in there you can remove that. cheep mod.
Tuners I am using a H&S Miny Max and again very happy with it if you want to eventually de-filter your truck look around there are still companies with them on the shelves and there is ways around it (the trans reprogramming is also worth it). I am removing my filters tonight when I get out of work EGR and cooler delete will be done next week.
Also I have heard that there a company called Green Filter they are supposed to be very good here are some sites to help you.

http://www.billscustomintakes.com/

http://www.greenfilterusa.com/

http://www.hsperformance.com/mini-maxx/

Research, Research, Research that is the key by the way all these guys are right if you want power you either have to go all out to get true power and performance

To many mods to list ask and I shall give you all the information, and help I can.
Everything from outside to interior.

Last edited by Iqudayo; 10-03-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Rep:1962
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRQC View Post
There are ways to get emission minus tunes, but it's not going to be directly from H&S. They can sell "street" tuners and "low sulfer calibrations" but to get the "low sulfer" you need to provide documentation that it's not a street driven vehicle.........So you are left with the street tuner.........but..........
Tuning is out there......
I'm thinking you meant high sulfer tunes, not low. Highway diesel is already ultra low sulfer.

Up here in Canada I don't have to worry proving that it's not a street driven vehicle. We don't have the same EPA standards restricting that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandell View Post
Yeah, and there are still a few XRT Pro and Mini Max "race tuners" out there, but they are becoming scarce.
I just talked to a supplier up here in Canada and apparently they are still producing H&S tuners capable of deleting for countries other than the US. Prices have definitely skyrocketed up here because of the EPA issues in the States though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqudayo View Post
Anything you do to the truck for performance they are going to tell you that it voids the warranty (even if you install a K&N to replace the factory filter by the way don't waist your money on that). with that said I have a CAI from Bill Custom Intakes and have not had any issues at all. The tube that goes from the filter to the turbo has a diffuser in there you can remove that. cheep mod.
Tuners I am using a H&S Miny Max and again very happy with it if you want to eventually de-filter your truck look around there are still companies with them on the shelves and there is ways around it (the trans reprogramming is also worth it). I am removing my filters tonight when I get out of work EGR and cooler delete will be done next week.
So my first question.... you can run an H&S MiniMaxx race tuner without having done the DPF delete right off the bat?? I thought you had to delete the DPF as soon as you installed the tuner. Or is that a setting when you tune it?
Second question, what exactly does the transmission tuning give you? Firmer shifting and better shift points I'm assuming? Will it give me any problems down the road on a completely stock 68rfe tranny?

I have a line right now on a MiniMaxx Race Tuner, Flo-Pro downpipe and DPF delete pipe, and a Sinister EGR delete kit for $1800. I figure that's not a bad deal for all 3 of those seeing as the tuner itself is $1600 anywhere you look online. I'm just trying to get the guy to include the shipping in the $1800 and then I'll probably buy the set up.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 10-03-2013, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonjansen View Post
I'm thinking you meant high sulfer tunes, not low. Highway diesel is already ultra low sulfer.

Up here in Canada I don't have to worry proving that it's not a street driven vehicle. We don't have the same EPA standards restricting that.

I just talked to a supplier up here in Canada and apparently they are still producing H&S tuners capable of deleting for countries other than the US. Prices have definitely skyrocketed up here because of the EPA issues in the States though.

So my first question.... you can run an H&S MiniMaxx race tuner without having done the DPF delete right off the bat?? I thought you had to delete the DPF as soon as you installed the tuner. Or is that a setting when you tune it?
Second question, what exactly does the transmission tuning give you? Firmer shifting and better shift points I'm assuming? Will it give me any problems down the road on a completely stock 68rfe tranny?

I have a line right now on a MiniMaxx Race Tuner, Flo-Pro downpipe and DPF delete pipe, and a Sinister EGR delete kit for $1800. I figure that's not a bad deal for all 3 of those seeing as the tuner itself is $1600 anywhere you look online. I'm just trying to get the guy to include the shipping in the $1800 and then I'll probably buy the set up.

Yes thank you! I do mean HIGH sulfer.

Have you looked into H&S's MCC tuning? It might(will) save you some money! There are some good custom tuners out there.

Last edited by NWRQC; 10-03-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:33 PM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Yes you can run a "race" tuner on stock truck. When setting it up it asks if the DPF is present or not, if so just select yes and it loads different tuning.
The OD tuning offers firmer shifts, extended shift points ( no more lugging in 6th at 40mph). You can select the settings that suit you best. The transmission is completely changed and performs way better. I could never go back to not having it.. It's designed to prolong the life of your stock transmission and is very similar to the tuning that RevMax uses on their aftermarket transmissions. It's well worth the money spent.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:57 AM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Quote:
Yes thank you! I do mean HIGH sulfer.

Have you looked into H&S's MCC tuning? It might(will) save you some money! There are some good custom tuners out there.
Yes I've been talking to Dave at Draconian Diesel a little bit to get some more information about his custom tunes and transmission tunes. Through him it's $1850 for just the MiniMaxx (with 3 or 4 SOTF custom tunes) and transmission tuning.... If the deal for the tuner, EGR delete kit and DPF delete kit falls through then I'll be dealing with Dave for a custom tuned one.

Quote:
Yes you can run a "race" tuner on stock truck. When setting it up it asks if the DPF is present or not, if so just select yes and it loads different tuning.
The OD tuning offers firmer shifts, extended shift points ( no more lugging in 6th at 40mph). You can select the settings that suit you best. The transmission is completely changed and performs way better. I could never go back to not having it.. It's designed to prolong the life of your stock transmission and is very similar to the tuning that RevMax uses on their aftermarket transmissions. It's well worth the money spent.
Oh okay, awesome! Thanks for the info! I was definitely a fan of the transmission tuning on my 1500 so I'm sure it would be that much better on my Cummins.

8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Old 10-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Iqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to allIqudayo is a name known to all

Quote:

1. Yes that's how I ran it as a Gauge pod at first for a week
2. Then I installed the tuner without any deletes. after 2 months now (last night) I did the delete deleted the EGR and the cooler. the truck is riding like a different truck the Torque was 1,100 and my mileage on the way into work today was 23.2 MPG. tomorrow the PDF comes off and clean from the turbo back. all I had to do last night was re install the tuner and walla a new truck.
I also changed the intake horn parts used was BD horn, and inter-cooler pipe, H&S EGR / cooler delete, exhaust is MBRP turbo back, Tuner H&S Miny Maxx with the Trans Package. And as you said it does all that to the trans you can read everything on the website.

Tuner with Trans 1,400.
BD Horn with inter-cooler pipe 375.
H&S EGR delete 50.
exhaust 400.
The smile on my face when I hit the pedal PRICELESS ..

To many mods to list ask and I shall give you all the information, and help I can.

Last edited by Iqudayo; 10-04-2013 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
1. Yes that's how I ran it as a Gauge pod at first for a week
2. Then I installed the tuner without any deletes. after 2 months now (last night) I did the delete deleted the EGR and the cooler. the truck is riding like a different truck the Torque was 1,100 and my mileage on the way into work today was 23.2 MPG. tomorrow the PDF comes off and clean from the turbo back. all I had to do last night was re install the tuner and walla a new truck.
I also changed the intake horn parts used was BD horn, and inter-cooler pipe, H&S EGR / cooler delete, exhaust is MBRP turbo back, Tuner H&S Miny Maxx with the Trans Package. And as you said it does all that to the trans you can read everything on the website.

Tuner with Trans 1,400.
BD Horn with inter-cooler pipe 375.
H&S EGR delete 50.
exhaust 400.
The smile on my face when I hit the pedal PRICELESS ..
Nice! Thanks for the info. I just read your post in your build thread and like I said in there, it's got me even more stoked to do this!
By the savings in fuel alone the tuner/deletes will pay for themselves within 2 years. Plus the added power and knowing my engine is running that much better and cleaner, it doesn't make sense not to do it. The only risk is the fact that if anything happens to the engine it's on my dime rather than the dealers.... That's the one part that worries me a little bit.

That's a really good deal for all those parts! I'm assuming you bought your tuner a while ago before the issues with H&S and the EPA that jumped the prices way up? Where'd you get your parts?

Old 10-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Nice! Thanks for the info. I just read your post in your build thread and like I said in there, it's got me even more stoked to do this!
By the savings in fuel alone the tuner/deletes will pay for themselves within 2 years. Plus the added power and knowing my engine is running that much better and cleaner, it doesn't make sense not to do it. The only risk is the fact that if anything happens to the engine it's on my dime rather than the dealers.... That's the one part that worries me a little bit.

That's a really good deal for all those parts! I'm assuming you bought your tuner a while ago before the issues with H&S and the EPA that jumped the prices way up? Where'd you get your parts?
I bought the tuner in May I lost track of time sorry. But you still need to check and call different places If you have an issue finding it send me a pm and I'll hook you up with the guys where I got mine.
BUT first check with Bully Performance my guys are here in Jersey.

Last edited by Iqudayo; 10-04-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Quote:
I bought the tuner in May I lost track of time sorry. But you still need to check and call different places If you have an issue finding it send me a pm and I'll hook you up with the guys where I got mine.
BUT first check with Bully Performance my guys are here in Jersey.
Ya I have been looking around quite a bit and checking out prices. From what I've seen it was early August when the prices jumped $400 overnight. Nothing the vendors could do about it, their cost went up so they had to increase the price of the tuner.
I've emailed Eric at Bully's about it so he's looking into it. Haven't heard anything back in a couple days though.