DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:42
GasHole is on a distinguished road
Default Vararam 'proof'(?)...for skeptics like me

For those considering a new 'cold air' intake for their truck and possibly the Vararam, or those who already have one and are wondering if it is really doing what it is supposed to....
I am probably one of the biggest skeptics when it comes to anything modding, performance, etc.. I almost always take the path less traveled and don't submit to what the 'crowd' is doing. Same thing when I first looked into an intake for my new 2013 Sport. I looked at the reviews, looked at the data available, read all these posts....but who really knew? For all I know, the posts could be written by folks who work for Vararam, right? Well, I went ahead and got one, installed it, and after several miles of the truck 'relearning' the new air input, I actually did notice a harder pull under full throttle. But....was it really pulling in colder air, or was it just my imagination?
Well, here is something I found interesting just recently as the mornings have gotten cooler: when I go out to start my truck in the morning leaving for or returning from work, there is now usually a thin film of moisture (dew) across the entire hood and roof, right? Just like yours, too. As I leave, and eventually get several miles down the road on my trip, that film of dew will eventually always 'burn off' of the entire hood from the heat that the engine directly beneath it is generating.......all except an almost perfectly traced area directly above the semi-square shaped area where the Vararam unit sits! I have noticed this every morning now, and even by the time I arrive at my destination some 35 miles and about 45 minutes later, that same thin film of condensation is almost entirely intact directly above the Vararam. Now, I am no scientist, but common sense would tell you that the area where that moisture has stayed is still that much relatively cooler than the rest of the hood.....meaning to me, that the Vararam really is drawing in truly 'colder' or 'cooler' air to the throttle body...
Just an observation. Pay attention to it, I am sure mine is no different than yours....same design, same truck basically. And it's mute testimony and kind of comforting that it was money well spent on something doing actually what it was supposed to. Let me know your thoughts/observations on this, too.
Sponsored links
Old 10-07-2013, 06:07 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:123
1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough1stRAM2012 will become famous soon enough

and hats to keep me from thinking you don't work for vararam...
I noticed the same thing after I installed mine

MODS in profile
Old 10-07-2013, 09:21 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport
Color: Black
Rep:35
Zixxer is on a distinguished road

Sounds great, but pull the filter cover in a thousand miles and see if you have dirt/girt everywhere. I loved the look, but could never get really solid filter performance...and yes, I checked everything including adding better weather stripping to the base for the filter to seal. Just be sure to check this and service the filter properly.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:08 PM

Sounds good, will do, thanks.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stRAM2012 View Post
and hats to keep me from thinking you don't work for vararam...
I noticed the same thing after I installed mine

Yeah.....no,....my full time job is plenty enough for me already, thanks!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:14 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

The reason your hood doesn't completely 'burn off' is because you have a massive void of air between the engine heat and the hood, which acts as insulation, it doesn't necessarily mean you're getting cold air. However, the Vararam does the best of most CAI's that I've seen/worked with of supplying the closest to ambient temperatures. Where it falls flat on its face and is an abject failure as an intake, is its inability to increase your intake flow velocity like a proper short ram intake does.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:15 PM

Vehicle: 2013Express,2014 Charger R/T
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:39
roo is on a distinguished road

And why would the air be colder than from the fender well of the stock setup?
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 PM
I push the skinny pedal

CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Because the vararam has a 'scoop' that goes over the rad and pulls air directly from the front grille in the 4th gen. The 3rd gen is a horrible corrugated tube setup and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy's wife. The 4th gen has a much more direct air flow to the filter.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: 2013Express,2014 Charger R/T
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:39
roo is on a distinguished road

It was the 4th Gen I was referring to. Air supplied is ambient on both stock and with the Vararam, not saying though that the Vararam might not give you a small performance boost due to better flow.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:01 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Actually, a short ram intake will always give you better flow, it's a characteristic of their design. Intake air temps aren't the same as the ambient air temp except at highway speeds in the short ram intake design because of heat soak. It's a minimal change, <10 deg, but a change none the less.

The Vararam just gets closer to ambient intake temps because it's a shorter travel distance and you see less heat soak into the intake air pocket compared to most short ram CAIs that use a plastic or aluminum mid-tube. If you want the best mid-tube heat characteristics you want to look at a carbon fiber tube, they don't heat soak and don't pass that heat into the intake air charge.