DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Bighorn
Trim Level: 1500 Bighorn
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:54
MrPiper will become famous soon enough

Forgive my ignorance but what is NSS? (and very nice stripes by the way!)
Old 10-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1761
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiper View Post
Forgive my ignorance but what is NSS? (and very nice stripes by the way!)
dark purple with lavender stripes...But I should say...yours are very appealing

The NSS is the Neutral Safety Switch. I've replaced a few in Jeep Liberty's with the exact same problem. It has another name now that's in one of the threads I posted I think the third one.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 10-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Rep:10
Hemi12 is on a distinguished road

The NSS was in my case, the issue.....When the truck is in Park, it grounds the switch and allows the truck to start...A faulty switch will cause the truck to think it's not in park and therefore not start...which is why people are only hearing 1 click when the key is turned. In my case, they added a grounding wire straight to the starter and I believe, bypassed the NSS all together...Not exactly sure tho...But I have not expereinced the starting issue since they did that.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Help cure Paulzheimer's

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1761
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I posted some of the links, but they're scattered all over the forum. I've requested that they all be moved here for the sake of convenience. Except maybe the 2011 that is posted in the 1st Gen section. Maybe yes, maybe no. JacksonsNorth's thread pertained to his 2012 so I asked the Newly employed Canadian Hemi Pride to move 'em.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 10-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:94
Northernhawk will become famous soon enough

curious if you guys are getting any warning lights on the dash with these issues??? new here and just posted a long winded story of my issue, but it sounds different without the dash lights etc.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Rep:10
Hemi12 is on a distinguished road

Nope, no warning lights, no nothing....Just 1 click and done....But like I said, my issues are non-existent now....thank god, cause I have zero tolerance for dealers and their "Not our concern" attitude.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:32 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl View Post
A couple of weeks ago my truck wouldn't start. After several times trying to turn the key, it finally started. But I took it to the dealer and they basically did nothing. Said it was probably a fluke and would never happen again. Well last Thursday, it wouldn't start with first time turning key that morning. Then 2nd time it cranked right up. Then that afternoon I went out to start it to go home and I tried 5-6 times and nothing. I turned the key to the on position and took truck out of park and put it into drive then back to park. Turned the key and she started right up. I promptly took it to a mechanic that does all my oil changes. He put a machine on it and checked the battery, alternator and then tried to start it. He said it was using way too many amps to start. He said it read 500 amps. He said starter should only pull around 275-300 amps. He said more than likely it was the starter. I called dealer and the manager got on the phone. He said they can't do anything until they can get it to reproduce what it's been doing. He also said that 500 amps didn't mean it was starter problems.

When it doesn't start, it does one click and then nothing. Any thoughts or ideas? Also is there a certain amount of pulling amps that is considered too much?
Any updates on this Texasgirl? Any resolution yet?