DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion > Other Vehicle Discussion

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-09-2013, 01:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:481
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light
Default Jetta TDI and the fuel pump grenade

Just thought I'd share a story that happened to my older brother a couple of weeks ago:

He drives a 2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDi with just over 20k miles on it. He filled up his car after work one day but had trouble starting it to go home. He finally got on the road, but lost power a few minutes later and ended up getting it towed to a local dealer.

At first he thought that the gas station had accidentally put gas in the diesel tank, but after the dealer took a look at it they told him that the high pressure fuel pump had essentially disintegrated, sending pieces of itself into the fuel system and destroying 2 auxiliary fuel pumps as well. Apparently, after reading about it on several internet forums he found out that this is not an uncommon problem with these vehicles. It actually turns out that he was lucky because often times the engine needs to be replaced as well which was fortunately not the case for him.

Fortunately, the repairs were covered under warranty, and the dealer said that Volkswagen acknowledges the design flaw in the fuel pump so they are repairing vehicles that are out of warranty as well, so kudos to them for that. They told him that if it were not covered by Volkswagen it would have cost about $10k to fix, because the fuel lines and all the pumps had to be replaced as well as some other things. They gave my brother a Mazda 3 to drive around for the 2 weeks it took to get it fixed, so the dealer took care of him pretty well.

Regardless, I think he has lost confidence in the vehicle. He has been thinking about getting something else after this and because the roads in College Station are so bad that he scrapes his front bumper sometimes just driving around town. Honestly, I didn't feel great about driving on some of those roads in my Ram last time I visited him. I tried to talk him into getting a Ram but he says its too big for him. Now I'm trying to talk him into looking at a 2014 Cherokee trailhawk- not too big, plenty of clearance, and I don't think it'd be too bad MPG wise. He makes fun of me because his car gets better city MPG than my Ram does highway(Joke's on him though because my gasser has more torque than his diesel

Last edited by Thunderhorse; 10-09-2013 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2013, 02:02 PM
Paulinating the *****

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I like a story with a happy ending.

Which one was this?

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name