DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:24
Fabtech1500 is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission issues

Hey folks, I have an 02 Ram 1500 4dr 5.9L auto SLT trim. I have been to 4 tranny shops and all have said that my tcu is causing the issue I am having. I have a solenoid valve code, and the truck likes to stick in 3rd gear. And by stick, I mean stick. When you come to a stop, you will be leaving in 3rd. But if you shut the ignition off and re-fire the vehicle, all of the forward moving gears magically re-appear. Reverse, park and neutral all work fine. When I am rolling and get above 40mph, if it hangs in third, I can turn the ignition back enough to kill the system and return it to the on position and OD and lockup come back. And all is well from the next light in first and second. Tranny shop says that the transmission mechanically is working perfect. Pressures are great and shift patterns are fantastic. It just likes to hang in third.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

If anyone knows where the tcu is located in an 02 5.9L 4dr 2 wheel drive, I would appreciate that info very much
Old 10-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:246
HemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura aboutHemiLonestar has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Should be over on the passenger side.

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition
Mods list in profile
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 10-11-2013, 11:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Ok guys. Thanks for that Hemi! I know that on the 4.7 and 5.7 Hemi trucks it is on the passenger side firewall. The 5.9/360 truck I honestly don't know where the TCM is located. My ECM is on the firewall on the passenger side in the engine bay. I have seen the problem I am having on many other sites. And it seems no one knows the location of the TCM for this vehicle, even though they are sold by many different dealers. My truck has 168k miles, it has been great to this point. I cant see giving up on it over this, but I have been trying to solve this issue for over six months. And taking off in second gear is eventually going to cause major issues. I dont want to hurt the vehicle anymore than what it has been, even though this Truck is a true testament as to Dodge Trucks being "workaholics" and having the ability to be put through hell and back with no major mechanical issues. And with the local Dodge Dealers around here, they want to be douchebags and not give any information unless you bring the vehicle to them to work on it. I am forced to go this on my own. I am mechanically inclined, but refused to deal with trans issues on anything but my own. And this just so happens to be the first tranny electrical issue I have ever encountered. I have owned 5 Dodges since 2000. I am a converted GM owner. Everything I bought up to 2000 was GM. That's when I bought my 98 Ram 1500. Drove it from 94k to 240k cross country towing and only one tranny. Then an 05 Ram 1500 4.7. Then a 01 R/T Durango. Then a 1500 Van, and now my 02 1500. Anyhow, point is, I can't find this dammed TCM and it is driving me nucking futz. LOL. I apologize for the overly long rant folks. I just know I have a lot more miles to squeeze outta this truck.

Last edited by Fabtech1500; 10-11-2013 at 11:47 PM.