DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-11-2013, 02:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:91
Kelevra will become famous soon enough
Default MDS? Eco indicator?

Ok, few questions here. I've come across conflicting info as well as I have some concerns with MDS/Eco

First, is the Eco light in any way dirrectly related with the MDS coming on or going off? if eco is on is MDS on and vice versa or will the eco light sometime be on and not MDS or Eco be off and MDS be on?

The reason I ask is when I'm cruising (cruise control on) on the highway at 65-70 MPH the Eco light is seldom on. Does this mean my MDS is off when cruising at those speeds?
Sponsored links
Old 04-11-2013, 03:32 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:99
TexasBorn will become famous soon enough

when you see the ECO light/icon come on, that means MDS is active. inversely, when it's not on, you're running on all 8 cylinders. it's based off of throttle percentage and how much power the truck needs to either accelerate or keep speed. the reason it goes in and out when cruise control is on, is because of various road conditions: hills, strong winds, turns, etc... the engine has to work a little harder to maintain the speed when these arise. a good way to test it, or to see this happen on command, accelerate like you normally would, and then come off the accelerator and you'll see the ECO light come on as you coast. it's a good concept, but it's not perfect. the whole idea of MDS is roughly "power when you need it, economy when you want/can". it takes some getting used to and you'll see when your truck will and won't activate MDS. hope this helps!
Old 04-11-2013, 09:39 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:26
Moose612 is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure it actually means that MDS is on. It does have to do with throttle percentage yes, I turned MDS off with the trinity and the eco light still comes on.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 AM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Eco light is just an indicator to indicate you are presently driving your vehicle in the most Ecological manner possible, that being said, it can be with MDS on or off. that being said again that your MDS will engage also when the truck sees there is no need for all 8 Cylinders to be running, and that would be usually when your driving the truck in the most ecological way. If you down shift to 6th gear disabling the MDS, and be nice on the pedal you will see the Eco light comes on when it feels your driving her the most ecological way.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab 4x4
Color: Black
Rep:10
rdrnr1963 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Eco light is just an indicator to indicate you are presently driving your vehicle in the most Ecological manner possible, that being said, it can be with MDS on or off. that being said again that your MDS will engage also when the truck sees there is no need for all 8 Cylinders to be running, and that would be usually when your driving the truck in the most ecological way. If you down shift to 6th gear disabling the MDS, and be nice on the pedal you will see the Eco light comes on when it feels your driving her the most ecological way.
Forgive the ignorance here. I'm a former (older ram) owner from years back and a new 2013 owner, and have been doing a TON of reading on the MDS / ECO features of the new Rams. I have yet to EVER see an ECO light come on anywhere in the instrument cluster, and I can't find any options in the EVIC system (both instrument cluster AND UConnect Apps / Settings mentioned in other threads) for turning the ECO mode/indicator On or Off. Can someone please elaborate on how those settings are accessed? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:22 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Sport Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:76
Radak04 will become famous soon enough

I turned mine on in the settings on my nav system. Not at my truck now, so not sure exactly what menus I went through.

When it's on, the green ECO light comes on the bottom of my dash a little left of center.

It's bright green when it's on and hard to miss.
Old 10-11-2013, 05:34 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

+1 with Asur's explain, spot on.
Old 10-11-2013, 07:50 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RAM1500 Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:260
CrazyCanuck is a jewel in the roughCrazyCanuck is a jewel in the roughCrazyCanuck is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
I've got a '12 with hemi. When driving in 6th in ERS mode, I've never seen the ECO indicator come on. As soon as I shift to D under same conditions it will often come on.
Old 10-12-2013, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:106
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevra View Post
Ok, few questions here. I've come across conflicting info as well as I have some concerns with MDS/Eco

First, is the Eco light in any way dirrectly related with the MDS coming on or going off? if eco is on is MDS on and vice versa or will the eco light sometime be on and not MDS or Eco be off and MDS be on?

The reason I ask is when I'm cruising (cruise control on) on the highway at 65-70 MPH the Eco light is seldom on. Does this mean my MDS is off when cruising at those speeds?
Mine's the same way. The cruise's closed loop is programmed too aggressive to try and keep the truck speed within 1mph of the setpoint, so it too frequently exceeds the maximum TP. Try driving with it off, and hold the pedal steady, and you should see the "eco" stay on much more often.