DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 ram crew cab
Trim Level: Larmie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
crew 2012 is on a distinguished road
Default center dash speaker

I'm installing the Infinity 32cF in the dash was advised by the people at Crutchfield to use them. Now after reading these post do you just disconnect the center speaker and insulated the wire ends and leave the oem speaer in place? Thanks Bobby
Old 10-06-2013, 03:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram CC Sport
Trim Level: 1500 Sport CC
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
mr.jason is on a distinguished road

The sad fact is with CHY using the CANbus electronics you can do very little to improve the stock system, by switching out to different 2ohm speakers, the Hamon Kardon 2,000.00 stock system in my 13 SRT Challenger is not much to brag on either and not worth what I paid.

The PAC Audio Gizmo to use different amps & speakers to retain your steering and all radio controls IS NOT a good choice, I have done this in the past with other SRT CANBUS electronics you will loose all control of Base, Mid, Trebel built into the head unit....it zeros out all control...but it does work.

Best option is the 360 from Rockford Fosgate it allows you to totally tune and adapt any amps and speakers and has a plethora of xross-over and equalizer settings...it will keep all of the factory nav,steering and everything else to control....but it is expensive....

The 2nd option is the JL Audio clean sweep, I have used this in 2 cars it's cheaper but has a few drawbacks and limitations...

If you want to truly do it right the first time you MUST get the 360 from Rockford Fosgate, that's what I'm doing, buy it then when you have extra money get the amp, then speakers and so forth....

Jay
Old 10-06-2013, 03:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram CC Sport
Trim Level: 1500 Sport CC
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
mr.jason is on a distinguished road

Also when you get the Alpine System with these Trucks as I just did, I'm waiting for my 2014 CC Sport to be built, the order sheet shows "sport group" 9 amplified speakers and subwoofer...

The upgraded speakers including the sub is 300.00 which tells you how cheap and crappy the materials used on this Alpine system is...

i figured for 300 bucks I'll put up with the sub par music until I can piece quality components together and the 360 Rockford Fosgate sound processor.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
MikeM2 is on a distinguished road

guys I'm adding a 5 channel amp with 2 sets of R Fosgate components (front and rear) to my 2014 crew sport with the 8.4 AN. thinking of going with a 3sixty. if i mount behind the rear seat can i pull front and rear speaker level inputs off the stock wiring at one front door and one rear door and run back to the 3sixty then run new wires (heavier gauge) off the amp back to the doors or do i have to pull speaker level inputs right at the back of the head unit?
Old 12-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Western Brown/gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
buddy110 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM2 View Post
guys I'm adding a 5 channel amp with 2 sets of R Fosgate components (front and rear) to my 2014 crew sport with the 8.4 AN. thinking of going with a 3sixty. if i mount behind the rear seat can i pull front and rear speaker level inputs off the stock wiring at one front door and one rear door and run back to the 3sixty then run new wires (heavier gauge) off the amp back to the doors or do i have to pull speaker level inputs right at the back of the head unit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefRam View Post
Brother,

It is finally done. Last week I finally went ahead and purchased everything. Here is the set-up listed below:

Dash (Left, Right, & Center)- JL Audio TR350-CXi: 3.5-inch Coaxial Speaker

Front Doors - JL Audio TR650-CSi: 6.5-inch 2-Way Component Speaker

Rear Doors / Headliners- JL Audio TR650-CSi: 6.5-inch 2-Way Component Speaker (Woofer in the door & tweeters in the headliner)

Under rear seat - 2 JL Audio 10W1v2-4

All powered by the JL Audio HD900/5: 5 Ch. Class D System Amplifier, 900 W

Didn't have time to install the remote control knob because I am out of town, but it is waiting on me when I get back home. Also, the ChiefRam is getting new shoes (tires and rims) for Father's Day.

I mentioned earlier I was thinking about doing it but, after doing my son's truck it was not in my future. I had a local shop do it and it came out great. Driving up I-95 I was like a kid in a candy store. No wife and kids to tell me to turn it down.

Also, two weeks before this install I installed the NAV-TV with backup camera. I purchased the AV harness and installed my 30GB Ipod in the upper glove box. The truck also has a console vault (safe) under the middle passenger seat in the front. It's a nice place to lock my carry weapon when it is not on me.

All this came about when I bought my wife a new diamond setting for her 2.5 carat that she got when I retired from the Navy. She was so happy she didn't care what I did to the truck.
ChiefRam

Am I missing something here? How did you amplify the signal without using a signal processor?
Old 04-29-2014, 05:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 CC Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Dark Cherry Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
jimmerz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.jason View Post
Also when you get the Alpine System with these Trucks as I just did, I'm waiting for my 2014 CC Sport to be built, the order sheet shows "sport group" 9 amplified speakers and subwoofer...

The upgraded speakers including the sub is 300.00 which tells you how cheap and crappy the materials used on this Alpine system is...

i figured for 300 bucks I'll put up with the sub par music until I can piece quality components together and the 360 Rockford Fosgate sound processor.
I'm going to chime in on that note ^

I recently bought a 2014 CC Big Horn. Mine is sort of one of a kind with the options i wanted. Long story short we finally worked out the deal and my dealer located 1 and only 1 within a 300 mile radius. I was excted because it just so happened to be the color I wanted. Anyway it arrived and I was in love...UNTIL I noticed the sweet 8.4N system I had was without the $300 Alpine and sub. So I made my salesman listen to an alpine they had in a Laramie and went back and forth. Personally I thought my stock one sounded better than the Alpine, but neither was to my liking (but tolerable until I can change). I played it off like I was really upset and in a way I was because I was expecting one thing and felt like I had to "settle" for the other. So they threw in my Side Steps at 50% off which was basically the $300 for the Alpine.

I am glad I found this thread because the sound is not bad in my stock but I think some decent speakers and a nice AMP maybe a Sub? Will really make me happy. I too am more into the clarity than the boom boom bass, I just want it to sound GOOD LOUD!

Old 04-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
machine. is on a distinguished road

cool project!
Old 05-25-2014, 07:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Limited
dengland is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the head start guys.

I bought a 2014 Limited 2 days ago. It has the 9 speaker Alpine with the sub.

My previous vehicle (Tundra Access Cab) had an after market Kenwood HU, replaced speakers, external 4 channel amp, and a 300W Rockford Fosgate amp driving a pair of 8" Kicker Comp VRs in an under seat enclosure made specifically for the Tundra. The bass was very tight and clear. I was very pleased with the sound

I find the Ram setup muddy at the moment. I am going to have to do something.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Jason2112 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironchef2011 View Post
Update: As I indicated in another thread, I tested both with and without the center channel speaker. But first, a little background as to why. In my opinion, a center channel speaker is beneficial in two scenarios: Cinema/DVD audio or regular music, but in both instances the center has to have DSP to provide just a touch of spatial imaging.

The Alpine center channel though is not DSP modified, but rather a crossed over and combined signal from the left and right channels. This might be better if it was also a speaker rated at a much higher ohm resistance to reduce its volume, but instead it's the same as the dash speakers. The result is an overly loud presence that diminishes the width of the sound stage. My JL Audio C2-350x center channel speaker actually made this situation a little worse.

By removing the center channel altogether, the width of the sound now goes from door to door. Further the newly added tweeters, combined with the reflective property of the windshield, make it so there are no gaps in the sound. In other words, it's like the entire dash is like one big stage where as before, my ears would go to the dead center and stay there.
I can confirm this as well, though I still have the stock dash speakers. I disconnected the center speaker and was amazed at the result. Taking out all those high-mids restored the balance between the door speakers and left/right dash speakers. I think the overall sound now is better with Surround Sound turned on, it seems to boost the highs slightly. This will get me by until I get around to getting new dash speakers.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Trim Level: Limited
dengland is on a distinguished road

What Ram thinks is flat is sort of interesting (in a bad way).

And the effects of the tone controls:

No way to dial that anywhere close to flat without a processor.