DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-08-2013, 08:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
M.Scipione is on a distinguished road
Default Please don't say my TIPM's bad

I have had my 2011 for 2-1/2 years, would be under warranty if it weren't for the fact I drive 80 miles a day to get to work and back.

A few weeks ago my driver side low beam went out so I got a set of Crystal Vision bulbs and had the dealer swap them out the next time the truck was in for service.

That was 9 days ago... and now my drivers side low beam is out again.
There is no way that bulb fried in 9 days.

I have been reading alot about people having issues simliar to this due to a faulty TIPM but if that were the case here the new bulb wouldn't have lit when it was installed. Right?

I'm trying to wait for the weekend so I can TAKE THE ENTIRE FRONT END APART (thanks chrysler engineering team) to find out if the bulb is even burnt or if it just isn't being sent any power from the module.

Has anyone else ever experienced consistent issues with a particular bulb?

I don't really know where to start but in my experience when there's an electrical problem the dealer will just start throwing $800 parts at it (with my money of course) when it could have been fixed for $0.02 worth of electrical tape.
Sponsored links
Old 10-08-2013, 08:31 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Pull your headlights and swap the bulbs over, it could be just a loose connection, it could be a faulty bulbs, swap them first see if the problem follows.
Old 10-09-2013, 02:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Color: Black
Rep:10
taildragger is on a distinguished road

I'm guessing that it's a connection, long story short, basically the same thing happened to me. I upgraded to PIAA'S but got an auto truck shop to do it and not the dealer. About 3 months later the passenger side went out, I took it to the dealer this time and got a slap on the wrist for taking it to a "truck shop" and they assured me that they fixed the "bad install" as pins were supposedly bent etc and charged me $70. Less than a week later, hitting bumps while driving the same side/light would go off and on until finally it went out again. I took it back to the dealer again and was told that the TIPM could be the problem because of the upgrade to PIAA'S, and if this is the case it could be a grey area as far as warranty goes. They called me and said it was fixed, when I picked it up I asked what the issue was, and this time I was told that the housing around the pins on the PIAA'S make it hard to get a good connection blah, blah, blah etc, etc. I couldn't help but to think to myself about how fast they were to dis the truck shop when they had failed as well on their first attempt, and no mention of a "bad fix" on their part. Bottom line is that it was just a connection and the best thing is that there was no charge the second time, and it was not the TIPM, and hopefully it is fixed. I hope this is the case for you less the b.s. (OK, I just read my own post and it is a long story, not made short, but it's my story and I'm stick'in to it!!)
Old 10-09-2013, 07:17 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 Crew
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
M.Scipione is on a distinguished road

you got it taildragger.

I checked it with a friends code reader today... no codes.
Big sigh of relief that my TIPM was ok.

Got it home today and was able to reach down in behind the headlight, pressing on the harness and the lights would go on/off.

So I took the whole damn thing apart, properly attached the harnesses and taped the wires.

I shoulda done it myself the first time but I'm too damn busy, the dealer said they'd do it for $50 so I said go for it.
Then the guy hands me a bill for $170 and I still had to do it myself to fix their shoddy work!

I love dealers!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:10 PM

So glad to hear it was a relatively cheap fix considering it was dealer work. I agree you gotta love the dealers, I just came from them not too long ago with a $700.00 bill for my tune up!! So now I think I'm going to beg the question in this forum as to what would disqualify me from my warranty. Such as if I take my truck to a licensed mechanic for general maintenance such as tune up's, brakes, oil change etc. I'm tired of getting bent over for the high cost of their work, and the constant spew of b.s. that can come with it. I will say that they have been somewhat good @ honouring a couple of warranty concerns in the past 2 years, but not without needless numerous trips to them to get it fixed. (the other part of my long story) I'm past the point financially to keep my Dodge "all Mopar" because from some of the people I've talked to have said that some of the after market parts (but make sure they are quality) are just as good or even better. If I had nothing but cash to throw @ my truck no problem, I like my truck enough that it would be made priority, but it's not the case here. I bought my truck cause I love everything about it, i got all the extended warranties because I plan on keeping it and not have to work on it myself, but if I try to keep it up with dealership maintenance prices soon I might be living out of it!!
Old 10-13-2013, 12:25 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Sport Crewcab
Color: True Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:248
LeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura aboutLeftCoast has a spectacular aura about

I had the same problem last month myself. low beam went out....replaced both lights. A week later low beam on the drivers side goes out again. After reading on this forum about the lose connection problems people seem to be having I tell the dealer what the problem is...lol. Sure enough they fix the loose connection. No problem since.

Didn't need the sylvania $60 bulbs, but they are brighter than the factory ones, so I like them alot.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:14 AM

Ya there's a real difference when I upgraded as well to the PIAA'S. I'm now thinking HID'S as there is a lot of wildlife on the way where I travel to and from work. But I want to wait a bit to get my money's worth from the PIAA"S first. It seem's to be the general consensus that once you have the HID's you would never want anything less. My only concern is to find a reputable installer in Calgary who does good work and would do the job right the first time, with no issues.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:37 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:611
InDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to allInDeepWaterBlue is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
Ya there's a real difference when I upgraded as well to the PIAA'S. I'm now thinking HID'S as there is a lot of wildlife on the way where I travel to and from work. But I want to wait a bit to get my money's worth from the PIAA"S first. It seem's to be the general consensus that once you have the HID's you would never want anything less. My only concern is to find a reputable installer in Calgary who does good work and would do the job right the first time, with no issues.
In order to get HIDS you would need to have your lights Retrofitted. You can put HIDS in a stock housing but neither the housing nor the bulb is designed for them. When putting them in a factory housing you can easily blind oncoming drivers as well as people you're following if you don't have your lights adjusted properly. Not trying to sound mean or be a downer by any means, I just see way to many people put HID's in their vehicles and they're not even adjusted to help oncoming traffic.