DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Sport Reg Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Reg Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:186
rdsabin has a spectacular aura aboutrdsabin has a spectacular aura about

I would also contact whatever Canada's version is of NHTSA. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ That is the link for the US to check and file complaints.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:52 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

OK so by the way I decided to try this on my truck, I went out to an industrial section of my city this morning, there is a super long Highway that never got used and no one is around, so I floored my truck till about 100 and as I was WOT I turned the key to off. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa, check this out, the Key goes all the way to off, yes it passes the accessories position and goes to the off position, Now your asking yourself what did the truck do. Well the engine turned off, well not really, the inertia of the truck rolling keeps the transmission turning (don't forget I am still in drive) this keeps the engine turning, but the engine electrical's are off (key in off position) so no power to the engine. So its a mechanical movement that's turning and no accelleration is possible (its actually helping in decelerating the truck, also it keeps the power steering running (had I had the electrical steering like the 2013's it would of still worked as the Electrics of the truck are still on), the breaks were still working and the truck lights and everything inside was still on, then as I slowed the truck to the side of the road the steering became a none power steering (not a problem was going slow at this point), but still worked, column does not lock up, the truck braked fine and stopped the truck no issue. Once on the side I put it in park and all was good. Just so people know what happens.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: Quad cab 4x4 SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
Tridler is on a distinguished road

That's great that it works on your truck but how about my defective truck? Who knows how it would react. I appreciate it though, I think neutral will be the way to go next time it happens, gearing down also worked for me just not as quickly as I would have liked, especially had there been something in front of me.

From the other stories online turning the truck off has been a quick bandaid that stopped the truck, but the problem resumed as soon as the engine was started again, and putting it in neutral makes the transmission violently shake and stall. I think at this point not driving until the problem is fixed might be best.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:32 PM

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brillant Black
Rep:168
scmedic09 has a spectacular aura aboutscmedic09 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
OK so by the way I decided to try this on my truck, I went out to an industrial section of my city this morning, there is a super long Highway that never got used and no one is around, so I floored my truck till about 100 and as I was WOT I turned the key to off. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa, check this out, the Key goes all the way to off, yes it passes the accessories position and goes to the off position, Now your asking yourself what did the truck do. Well the engine turned off, well not really, the inertia of the truck rolling keeps the transmission turning (don't forget I am still in drive) this keeps the engine turning, but the engine electrical's are off (key in off position) so no power to the engine. So its a mechanical movement that's turning and no accelleration is possible (its actually helping in decelerating the truck, also it keeps the power steering running (had I had the electrical steering like the 2013's it would of still worked as the Electrics of the truck are still on), the breaks were still working and the truck lights and everything inside was still on, then as I slowed the truck to the side of the road the steering became a none power steering (not a problem was going slow at this point), but still worked, column does not lock up, the truck braked fine and stopped the truck no issue. Once on the side I put it in park and all was good. Just so people know what happens.
good to knoe Asur! im not sure about the older models, but with our trucks and the keys located on the dash not the steering column, that is why the steering wheel does not lock. older models, with the key on the column, that does cause the column to lock as well
Old 10-19-2013, 03:39 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1189
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

if you go into neutral with your engine at WOT, your engine will not run long. A couple of minutes probably, at most I would imagine.

As soon as you shift to neutral, your RPM's are going to shoot through the roof to the limiter. Granted, you will be able to stop, but still.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...