DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2014 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2014 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2014 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-16-2013, 07:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:87
country-boy will become famous soon enough

See post #13. .
Old 10-17-2013, 07:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Color: White
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

Did a service at my Ram dealer today.
Spoke with top transmission technician about the 'dragging' problem when foot is lifted off accelerator. Tech states that the drag is primarily caused not by the transmission, but by the engine. The Ram has MDS (Multiple Displacement System) Hemi engines which shut down 4 cylinders when power demand is light or null.

The tech also added that there is 'intelligent' learning in the 8 speed so that it learns to shift best for your type of driving. More downshifting may result.

I drove two other brand new Rams today. One was a Pentastar base model and the other was a LongHorn Hemi. Both shifted and dragged during coasting identically to the way my Ram drives. I am satisfied with the demonstration and tech explanation. I will just learn to live with the 'drag' sensation during coasting. I appreciated the courtesy extended to me by my Ram dealer resolving this question.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:18 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Super Duty
Trim Level: FX 4 Off Road
Color: Blue
Rep:10
SwampWolf is on a distinguished road

After reading this thread, I'm a little confused as to what is happening (or why it is happening) in terms of the 8-speed transmission "dragging" on descents. I agree with skytop in that I would also find this characteristic "obnoxious and annoying".
Quote:
these transmissions downshift the moment you take your foot off the gas. You must drive with your foot on the gas ALWAYS to prevent the OBNOXIOUS and ANNOYING downshifting.
I suppose that on very steep descents, having the transmission automatically downshift would help to save the brakes but on more gradual descents, when I may well want to "coast" to save on gas by not going to a lower gear, I would object for the transmisson deciding for me. Going to a lower gear (higher rpm) when traveling downhill will generally use more fuel than if you stayed in a higher gear and braked judiciously. I mean you can always downshift manually if you see the need. I'd prefer that decision to be mine.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 AM

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Apparently a lower gear with NO fuel usage (iDFSO) is better (more fuel efficient) than a higher gear (normal coastdown) with the engine using fuel. I guess overall it depends on how far you're coasting.

If you don't like DFSO, just shift the trans to Neutral while coasting down (leave the engine running, though!). That's what I do (even on vehicles without DFSO).
Old 10-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Color: White
Rep:420
skytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really niceskytop is just really nice

Addendum: All driving is essentially on flat ground. Now that the dealer tech has given a lucid explanation of the mechanical 'cause' of the dragging effect, I am fine with it.

Transengineer: Go to the trouble each time of putting trans into neutral? I think NOT. It is inefficient waste of time and illegal to drive with vehicle in neutral as you do not have full control of vehicle at that time.

Back to the dealer again to have a small factory dent (from inside pushed OUT) removed by the dent wizard. I am thoroughly unimpressed with the RAM factory inspection methods. In addition to the dent, the weather stripping on my rear d/s door was literally hanging loose when the truck was delivered. Even the dealer missed it. The tail gate emblem that the factory failed to install, finally arrived after almost two months of back order. It will be installed today.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:46 AM

Vehicle: 2005 Ford Super Duty
Trim Level: FX 4 Off Road
Color: Blue
SwampWolf is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE]Apparently a lower gear with NO fuel usage (iDFSO) is better (more fuel efficient) than a higher gear (normal coastdown) with the engine using fuel. I guess overall it depends on how far you're coasting.

Good point, TransEngineer; though I agree with skytop in that I do not like the idea of "coasting" in neutral and losing a degree of control over the vehicle (for instance, needing to accelerate quickly and having no time to turn the-in my mind- goofy rotary gear selector).
Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:117
Rusty289 will become famous soon enoughRusty289 will become famous soon enough

Just got my 2014 Sport last week, definitely notice it downshifting but I like it.

Almost acts like its in Tow/Haul mode, only difference is in tow mode my 09 5 speed would grab a gear as soon as I tapped the brake pedal. The new one does it when I get off the accelerator.

Does anyone know if the truck has hill decent assist? I thought I read somewhere that it did, may have been in the settings screen on the truck, I'm wondering if this isn't what we are experiencing???
Old 01-23-2014, 01:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman CC 4x4
Color: True Blue
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
thekidnotakid is on a distinguished road
Default I agree with Skytop

I agree with skytop it is a really annoying feature to have my new truck feel like it is dragging instead of coasting. At times even when on the accelerator it feels like it is dragging (by this I mean that it feels like it takes more throttle than it should to maintain speed). I have 2014 Outdoorsman with 3.92 gears so the drag feeling might be accentuated by the low gear ratio?. Either way It is something I am not too fond of. With only 1600 mile on my truck I am averaging 12-13 mpg and I was accrediting it to the transmission. I hope my gas mileage will get better as the truck and transmission loosen up.
Have any of you experienced a noise coming from above the key location that sounds like a box of tic tacs being titled, when you shift into or out of park? My service dept. can not find why my truck is doing this. It developed after the truck would not shift out of park. Maybe someone can point me to a thread on this issue.

Last edited by thekidnotakid; 01-23-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:30 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie Quad Cab
Color: White over Silver
Rep:16
DoubleIrish is on a distinguished road

I love the 8-speed transmission. I would have regretted not waiting to look at the 2015 F-150, but they are keeping the six-speed transmission and the Eco Boost engine - both losers in my estimation.

Look for a lot of sponsored criticisms of the Ram 8-speed, the Hemi engine, and the air suspension, since those are all features the F-150 and GM products don't have. Remember the old adage - attack the strength and make it a liability. "Naw, I don't want that 8-speed Ram, 'cause the trannie drags in neutral. Druther have my reliable old six-speed in my F-150." Plant that seed, and if it results in a half dozen potential RAM buyers shifting to another product, it's worth it to them.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:15 AM

Trim Level: Sport
Color: Fire Red
Rep:12
RaymondT is on a distinguished road

Maybe the criticism of the 8-speed deceleration behavior has more to do with the local topography. I find the manners of this transmission to be excellent. It's not the fact that it simply downshifts when you let off the throttle, but more importantly, how aggressively it does it depending on the grade. I can control my speed much more easily that GM's crappy 6L80E which is all or nothing and only in tow-haul mode.

This transmission is one of the best features of the Ram IMO.