DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > MDS

Notices

MDS Multi Displacement System Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-13-2012, 10:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 4X4
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
mybigredram is on a distinguished road

These are the pages found in my 2012 manual. IF you have the EVIC it says one thing and actually addresses the MDS, otherwise it only addresses ECO ON/OFF. Since I do not have the EVIC I dont know if my truck is set up to use the MDS function, it does show the ECO ON/OFF but according to the manual that fuel economy based. I do know that the other day I was traveling I-10 east to Houston TX and as long as I was on flat road & in cruise control the ECO ON showed. As soon as I started up any incline, it switched and the ON disappeared. It did the same even if I was not using cruise control. The transmission did not downshift, and the RPM's only minimally decreased.

Last edited by mybigredram; 02-13-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: White
Rep:12
TNC is on a distinguished road

EVIC or not, you have the same functioning MDS on your model truck. When the display that has the "ECO" symbol is scrolled to, the "ON" symbol means your MDS is engage...4-cylinder mode. The reference to "Fuel Economy" in the EVIC display is just the same thing for a different display method. You have MDS. Most people can hear or feel the MDS kick in and out, though I'd agree that it's a bit harder at highway speeds. Yes, it goes off fairly easily on slight grades or even moderate head winds.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Rep:357
crusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by xploded View Post
I have learned in a different thread in here that our 09's do not have an ECO light and instead have a "Fuel Saver" light. I have been told they mean the same exact thing. The fuel saver light is also on the EVIC and the light come on at the lower right corner of the EVIC instead of the top center.

If you do not see the fuel saver light ever, I believe you may need a reflash of your ECU at the dealer to remedy that. Search around in here, and you will find threads discussing the new ECU flash.
i have a 2009 sport built in april 2009 and i have the eco light, also have the option to turn it on or off in the evic
Old 02-13-2012, 02:46 PM

Vehicle: 2014 ram sport crewcab rambox
Color: black
Rep:357
crusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nicecrusher is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC View Post
This came up on another post on the site, and I was under the impression that the MDS didn't come on until the engine was up to operating temp or at least a more reasonable temp. I found on my '12 Express that the MDS appears to come on at the first opportunity, and that's well before any reasonable operating temp has been achieved. Not sure how the earlier models read MDS engagement. I don't have EVIC, so the "ECO" symbol in my dash readout has an "ON" symbol when MDS kicks in. If I'm driving in a manner suited to the MDS coming on, it seems to always come on regardless of the temp. Regardless of the constantly changing "ON" light for MDS, I think one can easily tell when it comes on and off if you're in tune with how your vehicle responds. I don't find it annoying, but I can almost always tell when MDS is in operation...except perhaps some highway scenarios at speed where the MDS operation is pretty well seamless.
mine also goes on when the engine is cool, even if it was just started,.., with my muffler its easy to hear it on,.. and also have the eco light
Old 02-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Fully Loaded
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
NWTJetboater is on a distinguished road

When MDS comes on in my 09 I can hear and feel it switch over..at the same time the fuel saving light comes on..every time..doesnt matter the temps..even at -35 and with a cold motor it will come on. One thing I dont notice is the fuel usage meter changing when it switches..technically it should drop from 18mpg in 8cyl mode to 14mpg? in MDS?
Old 04-11-2012, 01:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
itsahemi4x4 is on a distinguished road

On '06-'08 Hemi's there is no indicator light for MDS. There is a writeup on dodgeforum on how to wire in an indicator LED. It doesn't look that hard to do. If you go to the forum and do a search for MDS light you'd probably find the writeup.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:50 AM

Vehicle: 2009 QC 4wd
Trim Level: ST
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:146
jc4041 will become famous soon enoughjc4041 will become famous soon enough

ST model...no EVIC, no Eco light...no bells and whistles (truck does what I need it to)
'07 Dodge Charger SRT8 SuperBee #579-CAI, DSP, dual Cherry Bomb Extremes
-Jeff
Old 10-24-2013, 10:57 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

MDS will come on when engine senses no need for 8 cyl, no matter how cold according to the service rep at my dealership. But, if your driving with the MDS 4cyl mode engaged in cold weather and engine gets too cool for the ECU's liking, it will turn off the MDS system firing all 8cyl to warm up the engine. Both ways are for better fuel mileage also from the rep. It makes sense if you think about it, less fuel used in "cold choke" mode and the ECU also keeps engine at 203 for better MPG driving down the road.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:07 PM

Vehicle: 2012 ram
Rep:117
Red-Stripe will become famous soon enoughRed-Stripe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhp View Post
MDS will come on when engine senses no need for 8 cyl, no matter how cold according to the service rep at my dealership. But, if your driving with the MDS 4cyl mode engaged in cold weather and engine gets too cool for the ECU's liking, it will turn off the MDS system firing all 8cyl to warm up the engine. Both ways are for better fuel mileage also from the rep. It makes sense if you think about it, less fuel used in "cold choke" mode and the ECU also keeps engine at 203 for better MPG driving down the road.
I don't know. That looks like a contradiction to me.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:54 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Express 3.6/8 speed auto
Color: WHITE
Rep:902
oldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to beholdoldhp is a splendid one to behold

Well it does if you look at it from "their MPG/Emissions" viewpoint. Four cylinders dumping gas in a cold engine is better than eight dumping gas, less fuel better MPG and less emissions. When the engine gets up to temp, ECU's 203 setting, and four cylinders can't keep the engine heat up for the 203 setting, off goes the MDS so the eight cylinders can heat coolant back to 203. The 2013 RAMS have the grill with shutters to cut down on air to radiator, which helps aero drag and too much cooling for ECU's liking.