DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 1ST Generation Dodge Ram 1993 & Older Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 1st Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

I like to keep it up to date. And I know what you mean cajun I came close to selling it a few weeks ago but the wife without minceing words sed hell no!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 PM

Vehicle: 81 91 93 dodge
Rep:11
crazzywolfie is on a distinguished road

if you are looking for a fuel filter it should be between the fuel pump and carburetor under the alternator if someone has not removed it. there should be 3 lines hooked to it. 1 to the carb. 1 to the pump and then one out the side that runs back to the gas tank as a return line. as far as timing chain goes i think you would just be better of to pick up a double roller timing set. i would not rely on mechanic gears. now if you were to go 4 barrel do not stick a 600cfm carb on it unless you have it sitting around already. on a 318 you would need something in the 400cfm. anything bigger than 400cfm is really a waste on such a small engine. now i don't know if i would waste my time with TBI. i might consider swapping a mutli port fuel injected 318 like used in the 92 and 01 dodge rams but not TBI. now i do have to say once you get a carb tuned fairly good they can be reliable. i used my 81 as a daily driver for over a year and never really had any problems. now one of the mods you may want to look into if you have not done it already is putting your headlights on relays. headlight and dimmer switches seem to be common problems on some of the trucks all the way up to 01 which is why i think most companies put there headlights on relays before then. it also make your head lights a bit brighter.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie View Post
if you are looking for a fuel filter it should be between the fuel pump and carburetor under the alternator if someone has not removed it. there should be 3 lines hooked to it. 1 to the carb. 1 to the pump and then one out the side that runs back to the gas tank as a return line. as far as timing chain goes i think you would just be better of to pick up a double roller timing set. i would not rely on mechanic gears. now if you were to go 4 barrel do not stick a 600cfm carb on it unless you have it sitting around already. on a 318 you would need something in the 400cfm. anything bigger than 400cfm is really a waste on such a small engine. now i don't know if i would waste my time with TBI. i might consider swapping a mutli port fuel injected 318 like used in the 92 and 01 dodge rams but not TBI. now i do have to say once you get a carb tuned fairly good they can be reliable. i used my 81 as a daily driver for over a year and never really had any problems. now one of the mods you may want to look into if you have not done it already is putting your headlights on relays. headlight and dimmer switches seem to be common problems on some of the trucks all the way up to 01 which is why i think most companies put there headlights on relays before then. it also make your head lights a bit brighter.
ill be honist most of what happens with truck is really based on makeing it more dependable. Timeing gears are for the fact I hate seting time and cam is just in case I change intake I know its a stock cam and might get demolished by carb. But for now its tuned and auto choke works, fuel filter is taken care of( glass aftermarket) and I can do what I like with it jump in when mood strikes and drive it or if kids car fouls up he can use it. And that's the goal its just a toy to play with so not a dragger but dependable and if I whant to stand in its a** I can.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:21 PM

Vehicle: 81 91 93 dodge
Rep:11
crazzywolfie is on a distinguished road

well you see lot of people get 200,000+ mile out of a stock timing with no problems. when they change them there may be a lot of slack in them but they are still holding together. now i don't see why a double roller timing chain would make it less reliable vs timing gears. you would have about the same chance of the timing chain breaking as you would have a tooth breaking off a timing gear. nothing is really reliable if you look at it like that. if you want to make it reliable you really need to focus on the wiring. bad connections seems to be one of those things that make these old trucks unreliable. i know i have done my share of upgrade to the old wiring on my 81 to keep it reliable.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1993 Ram
Trim Level: D150
Engine: 1992-1993 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 230 hp 280lb/ft
Rep:10
mopar.rumble is on a distinguished road
Default Get the rust

One thing I have learned....get the rust ASAP! If you can see it then the rust is worse than you think!
Old 10-30-2013, 11:51 PM

Yes rust can get nasty fast. Nice thing is the truck was bought new by an older guy who had it redone in 2000. Body, paint. And rebuilt eng also trans. Then dad got it and only put 10,000 miles on it and never drove it in snow ether. Now on the flip side of that it was never inside ether. So paint got baked off and some surffice rust. But she is solid but I'm not able to do work on her for now.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 PM

Well its been awhile sence I posted on this. Well for the past year it has been pressed into service for almost a year. Well now after that it has been hit on the good side and the windsheld was punched and shatterd (long story). But back to it. The list is long but being put together. I found new seats for it I'm removeing the couch and going to replace it with the seats a set from a 98 extended cab, redoing the rest of intirior to match. Paint is going to be championchip white with metalic clear coat. A set of late 80's dodge dakota sport rims. Also going to find out if I can trancefer it to cerpintean belt set up. Now the theam is modify and use chrysler parts.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:06 PM

Well next thing I wanted to do will happen. A friend of mine came through with a B&M floor shifter for the goat.
Old 05-08-2014, 02:58 PM

I have some pics of some of the work I have been doing lately new seat
Old 05-08-2014, 03:00 PM