DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Rep:73
Dustinmc15 will become famous soon enough
Default Ram 1500 Towing Performance Report

Pushed my 1500 to the max this weekend towing a 24 ft enclosed trailer. My parents sold their home in Los Angeles and are retiring in Saint George UT, so I offered to rent a trailer and move them. After living in their home for close to 30 years there was a lot of stuff to move (piano, washer/dryer, tvs, bedroom sets, etc). The trailer itself weighs in at about 3k lbs and we loaded about 7k lbs worth of stuff, putting it slightly above my Rams listed towing capacity.

Here are the specs on my Ram: 2009 1500 TRX 4, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92s, Rancho 4 inch lift, 35 inch ATs, airlift air bags, tekonsha primus brake controller. The listed towing capacity is 8,500 lbs.

Overall I was very impressed with how the Ram performed. I averaged 9 mpg when fully loaded and could maintain 65 mph going up any grade, and there were some long 6% grades along the route. The only thing slowing me down was the trans temp, it would get up to 230 degrees while climbing and then drop down to about 180 when cruising. Considering the outside temp was over 90 degrees I don't thing that was too bad.

I did not have an equalizer hitch or sway bars but never once did the trailer feel out of control, even with some pretty good wind gusts. The air bags reduced the squat considerably and kept the truck feeling planted. The brake controller worked flawlessly so I never felt the trailer pushing the truck while braking. The tow mirrors flipped out helped immensely when trying to change lanes and backing into driveways.

If I had to do this type of towing regularly a cummins would be my truck of choice but the 1500 is definitely capable of doing the job.

Here are some pics of the setup.

Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2013, 09:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Two tone tan
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
PITA is on a distinguished road

Nice review, thanks for posting. Good looking truck too.

I tow a 27 foot toy hauler with my stock Laramie with the 3.55 and airsprings. Trailer's about 5500 pounds, plus up to 1000 pounds of bike(s), then family and stuff.

Towed all over North America, truck doesn't sweat a thing.

So glad I didn't get a 2500 or a diesel, would have been a waste of money and far worse driving dynamics for all the times I'm not towing.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Great report on your towing experience Dustinmc15! To pull that kind of weight through that kind of terrain without major problem is impressive!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
runningfork is on a distinguished road
Smile 2009 Ram 1500 w/4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinmc15 View Post
Pushed my 1500 to the max this weekend towing a 24 ft enclosed trailer. My parents sold their home in Los Angeles and are retiring in Saint George UT, so I offered to rent a trailer and move them. After living in their home for close to 30 years there was a lot of stuff to move (piano, washer/dryer, tvs, bedroom sets, etc). The trailer itself weighs in at about 3k lbs and we loaded about 7k lbs worth of stuff, putting it slightly above my Rams listed towing capacity.

Here are the specs on my Ram: 2009 1500 TRX 4, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92s, Rancho 4 inch lift, 35 inch ATs, airlift air bags, tekonsha primus brake controller. The listed towing capacity is 8,500 lbs.

Overall I was very impressed with how the Ram performed. I averaged 9 mpg when fully loaded and could maintain 65 mph going up any grade, and there were some long 6% grades along the route. The only thing slowing me down was the trans temp, it would get up to 230 degrees while climbing and then drop down to about 180 when cruising. Considering the outside temp was over 90 degrees I don't thing that was too bad.

I did not have an equalizer hitch or sway bars but never once did the trailer feel out of control, even with some pretty good wind gusts. The air bags reduced the squat considerably and kept the truck feeling planted. The brake controller worked flawlessly so I never felt the trailer pushing the truck while braking. The tow mirrors flipped out helped immensely when trying to change lanes and backing into driveways.

If I had to do this type of towing regularly a cummins would be my truck of choice but the 1500 is definitely capable of doing the job.

Here are some pics of the setup.

Great report! I am new to this site so forgive my inexperience with how to ask a question - I am trying to find the maximum towing weight for my 2009 ram 1500 with 4.7 V8 - my wife and I want to buy a travel trailer and are confused about the towing capacity - also what could I add to my truck that would make towing a travel trailer easier on the vehicle. We are considering a TT with an empty weight of 6676 lbs - any opinion if this is too heavy for our truck? thanks for the help
Old 10-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Color: Black/sandstone
Rep:38
Kindanocturnal is on a distinguished road

I am a fan of the air bags, I tow 8500lbs pretty frequently and pump it up when I am towing to stiffin the rear so I don't sag. I let the air out when I am not towing so I get the smooth ride again. They are just less then $200 and another $250-$300 if you want to install an onboard compressor. The install is very easy. I'm not sure about what you quoted as your towing capacity as I have a 2010 w/ 3.92 and if I recall, mine was just over 10,000 lbs. (I'll look up the spcecs later to verify)
Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I am not sure your wheel size but if yours is a crew cab, hemi, 4x4 with 17's you should be rated at 10,000. I have 20's so I am at 9950lbs.

Here is the link:
http://www.***************/features/...capacties.html

I do agree, my truck tows incredibly well, I have had to borrow my buddy's 2006 Ram 2500 diesel, and it tows good, but is loud and his programmer squacks if you accelerate to much.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I guess the link did not post so here is a screenshot of what I was referencing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (143.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 10-30-2013, 12:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindanocturnal View Post
I'm not sure about what you quoted as your towing capacity as I have a 2010 w/ 3.92 and if I recall, mine was just over 10,000 lbs. (I'll look up the spcecs later to verify)
The only difference is my truck is a 2009. For some reason they upped the tow limits in 2010 even though there were no mechanical changes to the truck. For 2009, a Crew Cab, Hemi, 4x4, 3.92, with 17 inch wheels is rated for 8,350 lbs.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runningfork View Post
Great report! I am new to this site so forgive my inexperience with how to ask a question - I am trying to find the maximum towing weight for my 2009 ram 1500 with 4.7 V8 - my wife and I want to buy a travel trailer and are confused about the towing capacity - also what could I add to my truck that would make towing a travel trailer easier on the vehicle. We are considering a TT with an empty weight of 6676 lbs - any opinion if this is too heavy for our truck? thanks for the help
It depends on how your truck is optioned as in tire size, gear ratio, cab configuration (regular, quad, crew), and driveline (4x4, 4x2). You can input those using this link to get your exact models rating.

http://www.dodge.com/bodybuilder/200...r/mlup1500.pdf
Old 11-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
NewfoundlandRam is on a distinguished road

I find my '09 Laramie great for towing. I tow a 25' camper during the summer regularly and have towed a 22' inclosed trailer(steel chassis) loaded with 2 sled and 2 atvs with no problems.