DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video All custom mods on the interior of your Dodge Ram. Dodge Ram stereo mods, alarms, electronics, shift knobs, upholstery, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-05-2013, 11:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by the persuader View Post
For that box, I believe the subs needed 1.75 cu ft a piece. I was trying to get as much air space in that box as possible without sacrificing leg room since it was a single cab and I have long legs. I believe I had to move the seats up about 1 or 2 clicks, but nothing major. I made it so that the angle of the front face of the box had a good incline so that the seats could butt up against it. It took me about a week in total for all the measurements, ideas, construction and calculations (ported boxes require a lot of calculations for port size). I also changed it from 2 ported chambers to 1 single chamber and had to redo some stuff.

The reason I mounted the subs that high in the box was because of the slot port on the passenger side (you can just barely see it in one of the pictures). I could have mounted the driver's side sub lower, but I wanted it to look symmetrical.

This was in an 02 GMC Sierra single cab. Since you've got a Dodge, you have more room than I did. Also, with those 10's, you can make a small box with a decent amp rack.

I would get a good 2 channel amp for the front with 100w rms or so, and a good set of 6.5's for the doors. That's what I did and the music was very clear, even at high volumes. I had 4x6's in the pillar (would have gone 5 1/4's with adapters if I had to do it all over again) and ran those off the rear channels of the head unit for a little bit of fill. Then I had the 2 12's running off a 500w RMS mono amp.

It was a budget build for sure with stuff I had left over. But it was set up right and sounded better than people's ride's with more expensive equipment. Don't be afraid to make a custom box. The only real cost is a sheet of MDF, carpet, glue, and screws. Get some ideas off the internet and join an audio forum like DIYMA. They can help you out and give you ideas. They really helped me out a ton.

My subs are 0.75 sealed, and 1.50 cu ft with a port, al that informatins is on their website. I was planning on making a ported about 3 cu ft with a port. but yeah, i found this one. Its sealed. so for that box id need 0.75. I have 0.96.. haha.

And I've heard that subs in general are best in one chamber and not two. So thats probably what i would do as well. Ive also heard that Side firing ports are best in the second gen ram. Not sure if thats true, or what i would do.

And yeah, It would need to be pretty far back cause i have long legs and sit about all the way back. This box I'm up a couple clicks and it bugs me.. haha

I plan on getting JBL GTO938 6.5s, At least i think thats what theyre called, Its the matching set to my 6x9s. But the problem is, where do i put the 6x9s i have?! haha.

Oh, wait, are you talking like the 4x6's in the rear pillars? basically where the 5.5s in the rams are, but higher up? The reason i put them in a box in the first place is because i didn't want thing basically firing into a box. That would obviously get me nowhere in sound haha.

Whats DIYMA? Ive never heard of that. I have heard good things about Steve Meade and his forum though.

EDIT: I'm putting it hear cause I don't want to quickly find a spot to put in this information:

More or less, my box now is 2 cu ft. I would basically need 3 cu ft. This box is already taking up a lot of space, I'm not sure I would have enough room for the required 3 cu ft.
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs

Last edited by Thebestestdrummer; 11-05-2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebestestdrummer View Post
My subs are 0.75 sealed, and 1.50 cu ft with a port, al that informatins is on their website. I was planning on making a ported about 3 cu ft with a port. but yeah, i found this one. Its sealed. so for that box id need 0.75. I have 0.96.. haha.

And I've heard that subs in general are best in one chamber and not two. So thats probably what i would do as well. Ive also heard that Side firing ports are best in the second gen ram. Not sure if thats true, or what i would do.

And yeah, It would need to be pretty far back cause i have long legs and sit about all the way back. This box I'm up a couple clicks and it bugs me.. haha

I plan on getting JBL GTO938 6.5s, At least i think thats what theyre called, Its the matching set to my 6x9s. But the problem is, where do i put the 6x9s i have?! haha.

Oh, wait, are you talking like the 4x6's in the rear pillars? basically where the 5.5s in the rams are, but higher up? The reason i put them in a box in the first place is because i didn't want thing basically firing into a box. That would obviously get me nowhere in sound haha.

Whats DIYMA? Ive never heard of that. I have heard good things about Steve Meade and his forum though.
The JBL GTO line is great. They are very clean. I guarantee you that some amped 6.5's will sound better than 6x9's. The main reason people use 6x9's is for bass without subs, but since you already have subs, all you need is good mid bass. Also, 6.5's have really gotten good at low range reproduction. I actually used to turn off my subs and just listen to the front stage sometimes.

The pillar speakers were mounted at ear level in the GM trucks, not down low like the Dodge's. Again, the rear speakers are just for fill. Set your front stage up right, and you won't even notice the rear.

DIYMA is a mobile audio forum, kinda like Steve Meade, but I prefer it better.

EDIT: If you want ported (it's definitely worth it if you do it right), you may have to get creative in the box design. If you just build a smaller sealed box, you can definitely fit it without losing room. And I looked up that amp. It's pretty huge lol

Last edited by the persuader; 11-05-2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:57 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:512
shawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of lightshawnu is a glorious beacon of light

DIYMA=Do it yourself mobile audio dude!!!

Great site, im not a member but have been on there quite a few times..

Edit: he beat me to it^^ lol
12 RCSB Express- 5%Tint, Gatorhyde spray-in, Black OEM Tips, Plasti Dip badges and Interior, CBE muffler, Kenwood DDX370, Ks3.5s, Pioneer 6x9s, Sundown SA8v2, Kicker ZX750.1,BT 964SP, Smoked Tails, 'Dipped 22" Boss 329 on Falken 305/40s, and some LEDs...

RIP- 06 Ram NightRunner QC
Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by the persuader View Post
The JBL GTO line is great. They are very clean. I guarantee you that some amped 6.5's will sound better than 6x9's. The main reason people use 6x9's is for bass without subs, but since you already have subs, all you need is good mid bass. Also, 6.5's have really gotten good at low range reproduction. I actually used to turn off my subs and just listen to the front stage sometimes.

The pillar speakers were mounted at ear level in the GM trucks, not down low like the Dodge's. Again, the rear speakers are just for fill. Set your front stage up right, and you won't even notice the rear.

DIYMA is a mobile audio forum, kinda like Steve Meade, but I prefer it better.

EDIT: If you want ported (it's definitely worth it if you do it right), you may have to get creative in the box design. If you just build a smaller sealed box, you can definitely fit it without losing room. And I looked up that amp. It's pretty huge lol
Yeah, I just bought the 6x9's cause I needed something quick cause thats when I THOUGHT I was going to build the box a few months ago, I didn't want to build it THEN take out the speakers or something, And 6x9s is really the only thing they make boxes for, haha.

I would prefer to have it ported. But If I cant figure something creative out, sealed it is. haha. I'm going to mess with this box first and see if I can shrink it down to 0.75 cu ft internally and see how it sounds sealed with a correct airspace, that way I know what it should sound like in a new sealed box. The old box they were in was built to spec with a port, and that sounded WAYY better than what they do now in this box.

Right now i have like, crappy pioneer 6x9s up front that were there when I got it. Is stock 6.5? Will 6.5s fit? I wonder if they messed up the mounting location up, that might be something i should check out...So yeah, I'll either get those JBL 6.5s, OR the guy at my shop showed me the next step up from those 6.5s, and damnnnnn. way better, and they have a separate tweeter(Yes I would mount that higher up on the front pillars) So i might look more into those as well.

And so basically, If i have a sub box back there, I'm pretty much shit out of luck for mounting and sort of rear speakers in good or decent locations... hahaha. Unless i wanted to go carving away or something of that nature.

And yep, It seems like that amp is damn near 10 ft long.. I could understand if it was pushing like 2000 watts RMS. But, only 740 watts bridged and its massive haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnu View Post
DIYMA=Do it yourself mobile audio dude!!!

Great site, im not a member but have been on there quite a few times..

Edit: he beat me to it^^ lol
Ill definitely have to check that out. And at that edit.
Green Interior LEDs
Old 11-06-2013, 12:38 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebestestdrummer View Post
Yeah, I just bought the 6x9's cause I needed something quick cause thats when I THOUGHT I was going to build the box a few months ago, I didn't want to build it THEN take out the speakers or something, And 6x9s is really the only thing they make boxes for, haha.

I would prefer to have it ported. But If I cant figure something creative out, sealed it is. haha. I'm going to mess with this box first and see if I can shrink it down to 0.75 cu ft internally and see how it sounds sealed with a correct airspace, that way I know what it should sound like in a new sealed box. The old box they were in was built to spec with a port, and that sounded WAYY better than what they do now in this box.

Right now i have like, crappy pioneer 6x9s up front that were there when I got it. Is stock 6.5? Will 6.5s fit? I wonder if they messed up the mounting location up, that might be something i should check out...So yeah, I'll either get those JBL 6.5s, OR the guy at my shop showed me the next step up from those 6.5s, and damnnnnn. way better, and they have a separate tweeter(Yes I would mount that higher up on the front pillars) So i might look more into those as well.

And so basically, If i have a sub box back there, I'm pretty much shit out of luck for mounting and sort of rear speakers in good or decent locations... hahaha. Unless i wanted to go carving away or something of that nature.

And yep, It seems like that amp is damn near 10 ft long.. I could understand if it was pushing like 2000 watts RMS. But, only 740 watts bridged and its massive haha.

Ill definitely have to check that out. And at that edit.
I think factory size was 6x9 in my 01. The previous owner put 6.5" Pioneers in the doors. I bought the truck with 6.5" Pioneers in the front doors, 5.25" Pioneers in the rear doors and a 5 channel Planet Audio amp under the center seat. I just put in 2 12's under the rear seat on the 5th channel @ 300w rms. Wasn't the greatest sounding system, but I didn't feel like tearing into it too much lol.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

When I got mine I had pioneer 6x9's in the front, and 5.25s in the back.. I think it is 6x9 stock in front cause I always thought that was weird. But Thanks for saying that the GM rear speakers are up high cause now you have my creative juices flowing and my thoughts are kind of scaring me! haha. It would be neat if I could get some 6x9s up by the top somewhere...
Green Interior LEDs
Old 12-16-2013, 07:23 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:254
Bigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the rough

my box is short enough that the 6x9 boxes sit on either side of my subs and they can come out to play music outside. glad i found this thread tho you guys have some good information! on your trucks did the back wall have the clip things to hang things on? and if so how did you remove them? for the life of me i couldnt figure it out lol so box is just pressed up against them but if i could take them off that would free up about another inch

also i have a 4 channel amp powering my 4 6x9's would there be a way to still replace the rear speakers and how would i power them? would it sound weird to have them powered by my head unit and other 4 speakers by my amp?

just lookin for some ideas for when winter is over

*Bedliner paint job, leveling kit, 3'' body lift, 17'' eagle alloy rims series 197, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires, S&B cold air intake, 52mm ported and bored throttle body, Superchips 3865 programmer
Old 12-16-2013, 10:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

ah dude I totally know, it took me forever to find out how to remove those.

basically you remove the rear panels, yes, remove. I did it without removing them and it was a bitch. But basically when you remove those. Theres i think one screw on each side of the back panel, and the one in the middle or a few spread out, not sure, attaching it to the floor. I just have mine completely removed and it added a good 2 or 3 inches. But the rear panels dont touch the wall now and that drives me crazy.

But what i read somewhere is to remove the dampening material off the back of the back panel and then they are either screwed in or some heavy heavy duty clips. I cant remember which but its something like that!! then just put the foam stuff back on and put it back in.

And so wait, you have the fronts and the boxed 6x9s amped and the rear disconnected? or? haha

And realistically, It wouldn't sound baddd perhaps, They just wouldn't be as loud as the others, and they would distort sooner and also not be as crystal clear.
Green Interior LEDs
Old 12-18-2013, 05:53 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:254
Bigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the roughBigred74 is a jewel in the rough

man that sounds like a bitch lol you have any pics or videos of how to do that?? guess i have some work to do hahah and yes rear speakers are disconnected because i use the 6x9's as my rear speakers but was thinking about putting in the rear speakers to make it a 6 speaker sound system(8 speaker if i replace the front tweeters too)

and you make a valid point.. wonder what the best way would be to amp all 6 speakers

*Bedliner paint job, leveling kit, 3'' body lift, 17'' eagle alloy rims series 197, 315/70/17 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T tires, S&B cold air intake, 52mm ported and bored throttle body, Superchips 3865 programmer
Old 12-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I could probably take some pictures tomorrow sometime of what im talking about. I wont remove any panels, but ill at least show you what im talking about. haha.

And is everything aftermarket? or are the rears stock? If theyre stock, i wouldn't even bother with them, itll just probably bring down the sound quality, louder, but crappier.

But if not, You could easily just use the RCAs to where they are now, and just reconnect the stock rears back to the radio on the 20 watts from that. BUT I'm not also sure if the radio wont shut that off if its sending it through the RCAs. Like idk if itll sense that or not..

But if you get the tweeters you could buy a 2 channel amp, tie each tweeter to a front speaker and amp those with a higher rated amp. Or just bridge a 4 channel. then take another 4 channel to the rears for themselves.

hope that make sense! I typed it fast..
Green Interior LEDs