DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-20-2013, 07:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:10
WingingEd is on a distinguished road
Default Needs starting fluid..

Dodge Wizards: I am a Dodge guy but have what I consider a strange issue.. I have a second generation 1500 with a 5.9, going down the road and it suddenly shifted down to "limp in" mode, then in a couple miles the battery meter went all the way down and the engine light came on. The truck was still running ok at this point. Pulled over and shit it off then it would not start back up. Would crank but not hit. Found a loose ground from the battery to the frame and fixed it. Still wouldn't start up. Had it towed home. Ran code check and nothing came up. Checked spark and fuel and both are present. Checked timing and it is good. Reset ECM, replaced cap, rotor, Cam sensor, coil. Still wouldn't start. Tried spraying starting fluid into it and it started right up and runs fine. Shut it off and it won't start again unless starting fluid is sprayed into the intake. After it starts it will run good and drive good until the next time it is shut off. Will crank but not even hit unless I spray starting fluid. Any ideas?
Sponsored links
Old 10-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9 vin z
Color: Blue
Rep:26
Shoveltruck is on a distinguished road

First thing that comes to mind is dirty injectors. I have had a world of problems from dirty injectors in all my magnum engines. There are some good right-ups in here on how to clean them and replace the screen. Every dodge I get I now put an inline fuel filter in. You could try some in tank injector cleaner like seafoam, but you never really know if that's going to work.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Code P1389 and not charging

I agree that dirty injectors can cause lots of issues, but once sprayed with starting fluid the truck runs fine. Found out today that it has an error code stored of P1389, which points me toward the ASD or the CPS. I replaced both of those with no change. Also found today that it is not charging the battery.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1995 and 1997 Ram
R Pope is on a distinguished road

If your battery voltage is low, they sometimes will do that. Get the alternator working first, it is probably all that's wrong.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I'd check the fuel pressure and have someone crank it while you tap on the tank with a rubber mallet or the toe of your boot. Sounds like the pump isn't priming enough pressure to me. If it starts whit a tap of the tank it should rule out the injectors. Even if half of them were clogged it'd probably start but run bad.

Has it been starting to crank longer and longer?

Check the CPS for debris.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Spent most of the day working on this truck and I'm still at the same place as before. Here's a summery of the problem and what I have done..
It's a 2000 Ram with a 5.9, while driving it the engine light came on and it shifted down. Pulled over and shut it off then it wouldn't start.
Problem: Will only start with a squirt of starting fluid, then it runs fine until shut off. In order to start again I have to squirt more starting fluid.
Additional symptoms: the only code is P1389 (ASD), the transmission seems to be in Limp In because it stays in second gear, the truck does not charge.
Parts I have replaced (in order): ASD relay, Cam Sensor, Coil, Crank Sensor, Alternator, Fuel Pump, Oxygen Sensors.
Other things I have checked: all fuses and relays, fuel pressure, Grounds, PCM connections. The security system is not activated, and if I pull the ASD relay while it is running the engine will stop (this tells me ASD seems ok). No output from the alternator.
My thoughts: Since the PCM controls both the injectors and the charging system by a function of turning ground on and off to them(I'm not sure if it controls the transmission in the same way),, I'm thinking it (the PCM) is one of the common components that could cause the truck to not charge as well as not fire the injectors during start-up. I also thought about the ignition switch maybe not sending proper signal to the PCM during start, but I don't think that would cause a no-charge.
Please.. bring on your thoughts and suggestions.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have an answer for you, although i dislike the idea of using Starting Fluid on a gasoline powered engine, too easy to spray a bit too much & over rev your engine

Personally i use WD-40 to spray in the air filter tube
it is very flammable & won't hurt the coating on the throttle body as much
I have used WD-40 & a cigar lighter to clear rodents out of a trucks frame, liked watching those rats run out with singed hair
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 11-04-2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I also tried WD-40, Carb cleaner, PB Blaster.. and a couple other things and they all worked to get the engine started. Also just poured some gas into the throttle body and it worked just as well. Seems anything that the plugs will "flash" would probably work to get it started.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge RAM 2500 5.9 vin z
Color: Blue
Rep:26
Shoveltruck is on a distinguished road

ok, I might be able to help having just delt with the p1389 code. I had same code, but it started. Our trucks need to have the fuel sync set to operate correct. If it is way off, it wont start. If it is way off but has starting fluid in it, it will start, burn it up, and die. Have you moved or replaced your distributor? Done a timing chain ? The code tells me your crank or/and cam sensors are bad....or they are not in sync. Since you replaced them im going to guess you sync is off. Fuel sync controls when the injector pumps fuel into the cylinder. If it is to far off it will spray on the wrong stroke, resulting in a stumbling engine or an engine that will not start. I had to get a snapon mt2500 to set it myself, but most shops can do it for a diagnostic fee. ( my shop wanted 120, I purchased scanner for $200)

See if you can get your hands on a scanner and check the sync. Should be as close to 0 as possible( depending on mods). Mine was at-18 and ran like shit. Now it bounces from 1 to -1 and runs like a champ. Id let you use mine, im in ohio by Cleveland. Odds are you are not close, but figured Id offer on the off chance you are.

Check the fuel sync, my money is on it being way off. Let us know how it goes. Its no fun to find this thread with the same problem and missing the ending. Good luck.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Does Autozone still lend out tools, if they do, check & see if they have a similar instrument
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle