DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram – 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Crew cab Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
paulswagelock is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gp2011ram View Post
I will try the hose cleaning idea. Can't hurt. Coolant really smells bad though and nothing like it does right out of the container. It seems to have changed its' properties somehow.
It is chemically reacting with the hoses. So in essence, it has changed. I asked for the specific chemical reaction that is taking place (I am geeky and would understand it) but to no avail. Rubber is vulcanized using sulphur, and this smell is sulphur-like, so something is going on with the organic material or carrier in the OAT antifreeze.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:17 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram Sport Crew Cab
Color: Black
Rep:40
BigDaddyHock is on a distinguished road

The coolant smells horrible once mixed with water. I went to dealership and they brought a bottle out that wasn't mixed with water yet, smelled bad but then he mixed it with water and OH MY LORD, it's like taking Mary Rottencrotch out for a fish dinner.

Here is what Chrysler switched over to (OAT Coolant) google Chrysler oat coolant

Chrysler, the last of the Detroit 3 car makers to use a silicated antifreeze, has switched to an organic acid technology (OAT) formula for the 2013 model year. The change to an “OAT” might have been anticipated with the acquisition by Fiat, but the Chrysler-selected OAT formula, although it shares a major inhibitor, is not the same as used by Fiat.
Ford made the changeover starting over two years ago, with a major objective to standardize on a single world coolant. It set a moderate six-year, 100,000-mi change interval (160,000 km) for a new car, followed by every three years or 50,000 mi thereafter (80,000 km). General Motors, which was the first U.S. automaker to use an OAT, recommends a service interval of five years, 150,000 mi (241,402 km).
At Chrysler, the objective was to be able to pass an engineering test for a 10-year, 150,000-mi coolant service interval—which becomes the most aggressive schedule of the Detroit-3 makers. Although extended coolant service intervals have been promoted by environmentalists to reduce coolant waste and possible inappropriate dumping, the 10-year/150,000-mi interval reportedly was just a competitive maintenance decision by Chrysler.
The new antifreeze replaces G-05, a low-silicate BASF formula (called a “hybrid OAT”) made in the U.S. by Zerex (Ashland Inc.) and that also had been the Ford choice until 2010. Silicate inhibitors have been used for many decades, and antifreeze chemists still may admit there is no equivalent substitute. It forms a durable coating on the walls of the cooling system, and because it works so quickly, it re-establishes protection within the water pump if the surface becomes pockmarked by imploding coolant bubbles from cavitation. The pockmarked surfaces, if left unprotected, would corrode.
Organic acids form an oxide coating that provides comparable and often much longer-lasting protection, but it takes about 5000 miles (8000 km) to form, during which time corrosion may occur. When Ford made the change, it said it had modified the cooling systems of its cars where necessary to minimize cavitation, and it began a phase-out of the 4.6-L and 5.4-L V8s, which were considered unsuitable for use with an OAT.
Chrysler told AEI it had been running dynamometer tests of cooling systems for the past year to ensure water pump cavitation erosion corrosion would not be a measurable issue. The use of highly purified water in every OEM coolant fill (50-50 mix with antifreeze) also helps to protect the system until corrosion protection is established. But following the OEM fill, the quality of the water and the compatibility of the antifreeze chosen for top-ups and an eventual flush-and-fill cannot be ensured. A mere 17% mix with an incompatible antifreeze is sufficient to accelerate system corrosion.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:30 PM

Default Here is the response so far from chrysler

fish.JPG

It's SO bad now, my jacket is absorbing the smell. I can't imagine what is happening to my interior. Family won't even drive in my truck until this is fixed. Completely speechless I'm even writing about something like this.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:29 PM

Just to keep an open mind I tried scrubbing hoses and deodorizing them. As expected, didn't help at all. It is a reaction of the two materials and the smell if off gassing. Scrubbing doesn't help.
Old 11-09-2013, 10:09 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:45
TinMan68 is on a distinguished road

Maybe it didn't help yours. But it sure helped mine. I was chemically poisoned some years ago and am very sensitive to these smells so I had to do something and it worked for me! Just passing along my experiences! I can't even walk through the cleaning product isle in a store. Or the rubber maid isle either.

Good Luck!
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi With 6 Speed Automatic And 3:55 LSD Gears and 20 Inch Rubber
2002 A6 3.0L 30V Quattro Avant Auto
2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Model 6 Speed Manual
Old 11-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Dodg Ram 1500 BigHorn
johnefire52 is on a distinguished road
Default Are Any Dealership Compensating Ram Owners

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnefire52 View Post
I to have the same issues... 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn with 6300kms smelly engine and rad hoses. The dealership that I dealt with were stupid in my mind. After three visits I located the coolant problem. the smell was so bad that family started getting headaches. My wife has medical problems already and the smell sure didn't help. Dealership wanted me to drive the vehicle. I left it at the dealers. contacted complaints department of dodge they are unaware of these issues regarding the smelly coolant. I think with the 16 pages I just read on this issue on this forum that's BS. lodged my complaint expecting call back tomorrow from Dodge
I am just wondering if any dealerships are compensating the owners of these defected trucks. Who wants to drive the truck when it smells that bad. we get headaches when in the vehicle. So far my truck sits at the dealership. They told me to take it it's driveable I said give me your vehicle and you drive mine. that was a NO. Anyone have any luck?
Old 11-10-2013, 01:04 AM

I'm still waiting to hear something. The only temporary fix is to always remember to press the inside recycled air button when running the heat. Wife said she didn't smell it at all while we were out and about. This is unreal, sure wish the higher ups could take these for a week and see how they feel dealing with this and still make that monthly payment.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:34 AM

Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:28
ramit355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan68 View Post
Maybe it didn't help yours. But it sure helped mine. I was chemically poisoned some years ago and am very sensitive to these smells so I had to do something and it worked for me! Just passing along my experiences! I can't even walk through the cleaning product isle in a store. Or the rubber maid isle either.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the information!!! We scrubbed the Hoses with Resolve Cleaner and brush. Then we washed the hoses with water Glove and let Dry. We then sprayed the hoses with Fabreeze let dry. drove 33 Miles mostly at 18 to 35 MPH and stopped with motor running many times. THE SMELL IS GONE!! Going to wait a week or so and repeat same process. Thanks for the Information!!! May be two different odor issues going on? But this worked on getting rid of the Odor we are having in this truck!!
Old 11-10-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramit355 View Post
Thanks for the information!!! We scrubbed the Hoses with Resolve Cleaner and brush. Then we washed the hoses with water Glove and let Dry. We then sprayed the hoses with Fabreeze let dry. drove 33 Miles mostly at 18 to 35 MPH and stopped with motor running many times. THE SMELL IS GONE!! Going to wait a week or so and repeat same process. Thanks for the Information!!! May be two different odor issues going on? But this worked on getting rid of the Odor we are having in this truck!!
Sound like I need to try cleaning again if both of you had success.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:09 AM

Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:28
ramit355 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulswagelock View Post
Sound like I need to try cleaning again if both of you had success.
Thanks to Timan it works!!! Only takes a few minutes to do it...long part waiting to dry. It must be what is in hose mold or coating break down on the hoses. I suspect if you don't get it all the first time to come off...It my require another scrub or so....Maybe other type cleaners better than resolve carpet cleaner I used...lol. Its on the outside of the hoses just like he said.

Last edited by ramit355; 11-10-2013 at 11:14 AM.