DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 4th Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: RED
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
hativsskoll is on a distinguished road
Question 2011 RAM will possible electrical issues???? !!! HELP !!!

Hello everyone,

I'm new here. Seeking wisdom from fellow Mopar and RAM fans!
I have a 2011 RAM 1500, SLT, 4x4, HEMI, Quad cab. I bought it used this spring with under 42K miles on it. In less than 6 months I've put close to 13k on it. Flawless absolutely no issues! UNTIL last week. Here's what happened. Usual morning getting ready for work. I jumped in and start'er up with no issues however immediately I noticed all my gages ( RPM, Fuel, MPH etc ) gave no readings. No lights came on the dash ether ( check engine, seat belt, break etc). The wiper blades were running full blast and would not respond to the wiper blade controls in the cab. Washer fluid wouldn't spray ether. I shut the truck off and opened the door. The cab lights didn't come on and it didn't "ding ding ding" to tell me the key was in the ignition. I pulled the battery cables to reset the system. Started'er up again and still showed the same issues. In addition I noticed the front headlights wouldn't react to the headlight switch in the cab and the blinkers would not work. Left, right and hazard lights. I fooled with it about 20 minutes. After the fourth restart and two battery cable disconnects. Everything fired up as if nothing was ever wrong. This was Thursday morning. Friday no issue. But then on Saturday and Sunday mornings it acted up on me again with the same issues. I've noticed it's always in the morning, And once the truck warms up. It quits the issues... We had a cold front push through Wednesday night. So Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday mornings are the first time I've seen weather below 50o in this truck. However I can't see how cold weather could cause this??? I can drive it just like normal when it acts up. But just can't tell how fast I'm going, fuel level etc. No blinkers and the stupid wipers running full blast with no way to turn them off! But again, once it warms up or I put it in the sun for an hour it quits! HELP anyone?

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 10-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1989 Holden Astra
Color: White
Rep:25
SilverFire is on a distinguished road

I would first check your ECU out, look for cracks in the casing, or if there's any spots where it's not sealed properly.

If you're experienced with electronics, you can check the internals and see if there's a crack in one of the circuits, or possibly a blown cap.

Though I am thinking you have a cracked circuit somewhere, where the cold is causing it to separate. Your truck is new enough that I wouldn't suspect a leaking cap, though it could happen.

Also, I admit I am not familiar with the newer models, so I am unsure of whether or not they have a separate control module under the dash.

If you got the warranty transferred when you bought the truck, you should be able to take it in for diagnostics at no cost to yourself.

Hopefully someone with knowledge on the newer trucks will chime in and be able to give you more help!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Stone White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
dbuzz77 will become famous soon enoughdbuzz77 will become famous soon enough

some people have seen weird stuff with a dying battery