DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-09-2013, 10:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram
Trim Level: SXT
Color: White
Rep:10
jmiddy is on a distinguished road
Default 2013 Ram Clunk In Reverse

Greetings Everyone New to the Forum.
Well this happened yesterday so to the dealer I have to go but thought I would put this out here just incase someone esle has gone through the same thing.

Started my truck, turned the 4x4 to High(on), moved shift lever to (R), backed up got about 10 feet and bang more like a boom, truck stopped dead, I thought I had hit something sounded like it too.

I knew nothing was behind me though. Put in drive engine revs not going anywhere. Moved shifter to Park got out inspected underneath the truck nothing but snow.

Back in the truck took 4x4 off then it would move in R and D and has worked since.

Anyone??? Im taking to dealer but what would cause this Tranny??
2013 Ram 11000km 4 months old
Best Regards
John
Sponsored links
Old 11-11-2013, 08:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

When it wouldn't move (in Drive), did it feel like the trans was engaged, but the brakes were applied (wanted to move but couldn't), or did the engine just rev up like the trans was in Neutral?
Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 dodge ram
Trim Level: SXT
Color: White
Rep:10
jmiddy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply

It reved like it was in Netral. Hasnt happened since Saturday and i have used 4x4 since.

John
Old 11-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Hmmm...

I don't think this was a trans problem. I'm thinking maybe something internal to the transfer case, but I'm not familiar enough with the T/case internals to visualize what might have failed or what might cause your specific problem.

The issue that would make the most sense to me would be a broken gear tooth in one of the axles. Suppose a gear tooth broke off and got jammed in the gear mesh between the ring and pinion... that could explain the "boom" and sudden stop. Then maybe when you shifted to Drive, and the torque reversed, the broken piece fell out, but since you were at the "missing" part of the ring gear (assuming one or two of the ring gear teeth broke), you got no drive. Maybe as you re-keyed it (or shifted the T/case) you rolled slightly (enough to grab the good teeth on the ring gear). Now it works fine unless you happen to stop right at the spot where the tooth/teeth are broken. Now I may be all wet here (I'd think the problem would be more noticeable if you actually had broken ring gear teeth), but it's something to at least consider...