DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: What synthetic oil you like
Pennzoil Platinum 6 31.58%
Pennzoil Ultra 2 10.53%
Valvoline 3 15.79%
Royal Purple API certified 8 42.11%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-05-2013, 07:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
thmupr is on a distinguished road

I voted for Royal Purple, used it before.. It's a fine oil but expensive and hard to find locally. I have been running Mobil 1 in my 09 since the first oil change with zero issues. The main reasons I use Mobil are cost, ease to find, and the fact that I know it is a very durable oil. The others are probably great, but I'm not a Pennzoil fan.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:21 PM

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrex View Post
I have 270,000 miles on my hemi RT Magnum and 190,000 miles on my Ram. Neither burn a drop. I used to use Mobil One and Mopar filters, but when the Platinum came out I switched and also switched to Fram XG16 filters. 10,000 mile changes. Guess what, oil is way cleaner at 10,000 miles and Blackstone Labs says wear metals are excellent. They suggest I go 12-15,000 miles on changes.
Not surprised at all to hear that, Mobil and Pennzoil are great oils and what I have used exclusively over the years as well.

Also, most people still change their oil way too often. My 97 Sierra had an oil change interval of 12,000 km's based on Kendall Oil analysis.

I usually change my oil twice a year, spring and fall but even then, with the amount of miles that are on it, I could easily get away with a once year OCI.

When my Hemi is broken in, and with Ram's recommended 8,000 mile interval, once a year oil changes will be all I need, especially if I am using Pennzoil Platinum, which I plan on.
Good read here for those that still believe 3,000 miles or 5,000 km oil changes are required. Oil and engines have come a loooong ways so the old school intervals are no longer required.
http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...-your-oil.html
Old 07-05-2013, 11:52 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv View Post
X2, I agree.

I believe the Rams from the factory come with Pennzoil so that is likely what I will be using as well when it comes time that I do my own oil changes. (Two freebies from dealer)

Pennzoil is great oil, whether it is the Dino or Synthetic, the 100's, if not 1000's of UOA's on bob is the oil guy .com (www.bobistheoilguy.com) proves it beyond a reasonable doubt.

I am not a big fan of Royal Purple, not saying it is a bad oil, but there is nothing "Superior" to it at all, at least nothing that comes remotely close to the price they charge for it!

If you really want to learn about oils, greases, ATF fluid, or anything else oil/lube related, and a bunch of of things, check out the site. It is a site just like this, members join and show their UOA's (used oil analysis) that they have had done at a lab of their choice.
tks, already a member of bob is the oil guy. having trouble finding ultra and a replacement that is equal to ultra. been using mobil one for over 30 years, just irks me they didn't do the chrysler cert, and ultra is as good maybe better. bobs guys say to use the top shelf amsoil, but i am not doing 25000 oci for warranty purposes.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:24 AM

Vehicle: White 2013 QC 4x4 BigHorn
Trim Level: BigHorn
Color: White
Rep:14
Irv is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
tks, already a member of bob is the oil guy. having trouble finding ultra and a replacement that is equal to ultra. been using mobil one for over 30 years, just irks me they didn't do the chrysler cert, and ultra is as good maybe better. bobs guys say to use the top shelf amsoil, but i am not doing 25000 oci for warranty purposes.
I haven't been following the Bob site lately so any idea why the Ultra is getting hard to find??

I haven't check my local CDN Tire store lately to see if they still carry it, nor Wal-Mart for that matter, but hopefully the Platinum is still readily available?

It took 35pgs of searching to find this post I posted just 3 months ago, so I think for the most part, I'll follow it and use either the PP or PU, and more than likely, I will leave my oil in for a period yet, or until at least Oct/Nov dept regardless of miles?
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...28#Post3003328
Old 07-06-2013, 11:15 AM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

tks irv, guess i will have to "step down" to pp..
Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Satin Orange
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:597
TheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to allTheSatinPumpkin is a name known to all

Mobil 1 Syn' from Walmart and Mopar filter.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Silver
Rep:63
S.C. Express will become famous soon enough

Mobil 1 fan here chimng in, switched to Penzoil full synthetic after I let the dealer do the first oil change. I installed a K&N oil filter along with 7 qts of the 5w-20 Penzoil synthetic. 1300 miles later I am still happy with this oil. It's much cleaner looking than the Penzoil dino oil the dealers use. It reduced a lot of engine valvetrain noise & vibration as well. If this oil turns black before the 6k miles mark, its getting changed period.. I don't like when the oil gets dark, it just scares me. Mobil one always went 5-7k and still looked like it just came out the bottle, even on engines with 100k miles. Hopefully the Penzoil will give the same long term results. So far I am very happy. My dad and I used to joke that Mobil 1 syn. "made" oil, and not caused the engine to burn it. We always seemed to get the same amount or more we put in when we drained the old oil.

Last edited by S.C. Express; 07-13-2013 at 03:50 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500 express quadcab
Trim Level: express 4wd
Color: silver
Rep:10
blizzard1 is on a distinguished road

Wanted to share this info with all of you. I have a 2013 ram hemi. After the first oil change I went to Mobil 1 and lost 2 mpg. Next oil change I went back to Pennzoil synthetic blend from the dealer and gained my 2 mpg back. I don't know if this has happened to anyone else but I've always went with Mobil 1 or royal purple until now. Pennzoil has my vote for life