DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:207
Rexer has a spectacular aura aboutRexer has a spectacular aura aboutRexer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by katokahn99 View Post
Lots of older vehicles have to do this. I'm surprised you have to do this with your 2013.
Was yours installed after-market or at the factory?
I suggest you go get a longer cable installed that will allow the terminal/plug to be mounted behind your bumper where it can be easily reached.

Mine was installed at the factory that way (behind the bumper).
Ya...mine was also factory installed this way which is why I was so surprised...I'm gonna try calling the dealership soon to see what they say...
Old 11-13-2013, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: 2013 1500 Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black on Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:44
gusman is on a distinguished road

Looking at the front of my '13, there doesn't seem to be much of a spot to run a wire through to in front of the grille.. All the seams are pretty tight and the grille doesn't open up with the hood (like the 3rd gens). No space between the bumper and grille either, so I'm assuming this has something to do with is as well
Old 11-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1531
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

In the colder states (Like Minnesota) it is very common to have a block heater on a vehicle. It is hard to find one without it. With that being said mine did not come with a block heater. Mopar has them as an option as well as add on. The design (In older vehicles) is supposed to have the end of the chord be able to reach the front of the grill so you don't need to open the hood. Since vehicles today are not designed with big gaps in the grill they are kept in the engine bay.

The main idea is to keep the oil from getting too thick in very low temps. You can actually buy aftermarket dip stick heaters that will replace the oil dip stick. These are a pain in the ass because the last thing I want to do when it is cold enough to plug a vehicle in is open the hood and swap dip sticks. No giggling!

To the OP. I would buy a length electric chord from Home Depot that you can get by the foot. Figure out what you will need to get from the plug in the engine bay to the grill. I would also get screw on male and female plug ends. I would feed the wire through the grill and then attach the plug end after you feed it through so it sticks out the front of the grill of the truck. Then when it gets warm remove it for next winter. You will have a plug hanging out the front of your truck but if you have spent any time in cold weather you know it is function over form. Also, see if you can get some kind of all weather cover to protect the plug.

I know this goes without being said BUT I am going to say it anyway. Make sure you route the chord away from moving engine parts. Common sense is so rare it is almost a super power.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover

Last edited by DarthRam; 11-13-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:16 PM

Rexer has a spectacular aura aboutRexer has a spectacular aura aboutRexer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRam View Post
In the colder states (Like Minnesota) it is very common to have a block heater on a vehicle. It is hard to find one without it. With that being said mine did not come with a block heater. Mopar has them as an option as well as add on. The design (In older vehicles) is supposed to have the end of the chord be able to reach the front of the grill so you don't need to open the hood. Since vehicles today are not designed with big gaps in the grill they are kept in the engine bay.

The main idea is to keep the oil from getting too thick in very low temps. You can actually buy aftermarket dip stick heaters that will replace the oil dip stick. These are a pain in the ass because the last thing I want to do when it is cold enough to plug a vehicle in is open the hood and swap dip sticks. No giggling!

To the OP. I would buy a length electric chord from Home Depot that you can get by the foot. Figure out what you will need to get from the plug in the engine bay to the grill. I would also get screw on male and female plug ends. I would feed the wire through the grill and then attach the plug end after you feed it through so it sticks out the front of the grill of the truck. Then when it gets warm remove it for next winter. You will have a plug hanging out the front of your truck but if you have spent any time in cold weather you know it is function over form. Also, see if you can get some kind of all weather cover to protect the plug.

I know this goes without being said BUT I am going to say it anyway. Make sure you route the chord away from moving engine parts. Common sense is so rare it is almost a super power.
DarthRam thanks for the reply...and while I know this is the usual whine but my thing is that I paid a crap load of money for this truck and I shouldn't have to run to home depot to make it work they way it should... but yes...logic tells me that this is the route to go; failing having the dealership fix it.

There's a lot of things in life that I don't mine tinkering with but AC electrical is a big no no for me...truck would catch fire first night

But that being said..."Make sure you route the chord away from moving engine parts. Common sense is so rare it is almost a super power." made me laugh pretty hard....well said...well said

I just fired off an email to Chrysler Canada....I'll post back on here what was said...
Old 11-13-2013, 01:19 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have issues with mine, and have ample lenght to slip it out between the hood and the grill. I can't reach the wall but the plug sits outside fine, I only plug it in when its -20C or below.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
I don't have issues with mine, and have ample lenght to slip it out between the hood and the grill. I can't reach the wall but the plug sits outside fine, I only plug it in when its -20C or below.
Ya but you got a V8 right? If the pentastar filled up the engine compartment the way a big block would fit in it (in other words no standing room in the engine compartment....literally) then I think it would be fine...but that pentastar sits so far back in the engine compartment...it just doesn't reach...
Old 11-13-2013, 01:54 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Copperhead Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:136
Sideshow48 will become famous soon enoughSideshow48 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Same here...has to be at least -20C before I plug in overnight or while at work.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Sport QC
Rep:88
rkuhl84 will become famous soon enough

If I had to deal with a block heater (glad I don't!), I'd install one of these somewhere. Might work out better somewhere on the back bumper if you ran a longer cord.

http://www.genosgarage.com/BLOCK-HEA.../#.UoPO1XDbPB0
Old 11-13-2013, 04:38 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

I would check around under the engine bay, I found the cord on my '07 had been zip-tied further back and it was keeping about one foot of cord back there, at that time I could not pull the plug past the grille. One snip later and I had a cord that came out past the grille.

And just so you know, the V8's cord plugs into the rear driver-side of the block and runs behind the engine all the way to the passenger-side headlight, so it's an extremely long cord, I would be amazed if your cord just wasn't hung up somewhere because no auto manufacturer would require you to open the hood every time you need to plug the vehicle in since they all realize that if it's not convenient, it won't get used.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:49 PM
Join the Dark Ram Side!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:1531
DarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant futureDarthRam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkuhl84 View Post
If I had to deal with a block heater (glad I don't!), I'd install one of these somewhere. Might work out better somewhere on the back bumper if you ran a longer cord.

http://www.genosgarage.com/BLOCK-HEA.../#.UoPO1XDbPB0
Very good find.
Magnaflow 14" Custom Install Bilstein 5100s Front Only Set at 2.8" Vararam Air Grabber Cravenspeed Stubby Antenna Dee Zee Tailgate Assist Billet Technology "The Punisher" Shift Knob Debadged doors and tailgate Plasti Dipped HEMI Badge The Punisher Grille and Tailgate Badges Exterior Chrome Delete 20" XD Series 795 Hoss LT305/55R20 Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Cabin Air Filter BAKFlip Roll-X Tonneau Cover