DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-13-2013, 06:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Green
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Nash is on a distinguished road

It's been a few weeks now since it's ran.

It didn't always look like a box of crayolas, It looked more like a pile of shit

unfortunately i have already checked the TPS. everything is there and good.

the engine turns over, everything spins as it should. It sounds exactly how an engine would that is trying to start without spark. thats the best i can describe it.

all i know about these wires is what i've said. the hot wire has 12v and when i put the ground and hot together for some weird reason i'll get spark but it won't start because it only sparks once then GEN comes on the dash
Old 11-13-2013, 06:52 PM
Paultocologist

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Did you check it to see if it was the CPS? if you swing them towards the back of the engine behind the intake going to the passenger's side?

The tps is behind the head on the pass side and only has 2 wires. Let me go see if I can see the color.

EDIT: Okay, pulled the truck inside and fired up the night sun. The only thing I can see close is the vacuum solenoid at the back of the intake, driver's side. Has a 3-multiport vacuum line coming out of it. On top there's a plug with a red tab. Black wire with a red tracer, and a black wire with a green tracer.

EDIT SCHMEDIT: Did you try a temp body ground yet?!?!?! I gotta bail, but you really need to try grounding the engine to the body. Seriously.

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name

Last edited by Warlock III; 11-13-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:06 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I went and tried grounding them both

didn't do anything just cranked but no start.

Oil Pressure switch is plugged in. Crank position sensor is plugged in. Cam sensor is plugged in. my brain is plugged in. notta

with the way these wires are ran the only place i see them going is somewhere towards the front of the engine.

I also tried taking a better picture of the wires and that was a fail, my camera on my phone isn't the greatest. however my girlfriend swears up and down that the hot wire is black with a tan stripe on it not red.

Last edited by Nash; 11-13-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Paultocologist

Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future

Hmmmm, I'll check mine in the daylight.

DISCLAIMER
Old 11-14-2013, 12:38 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

First thing I noticed is that you say one wire is hot (12V) and the other wire is ground, and when you touch them together they spark... my suggestion would be to not touch them together. They are supposed to spark if you touch them and if you keep touching them, you will definitely fry something, if you haven't already. But now that you have touched them together, several times, you might want to check all your fuses, because you may have blown a fuse which is why it won't start. You should never ever touch a hot wire and a ground wire together, unless you are wanting a spark to 1) start a fire or B) defibrillate a person DRT (Dead Right There). Beinst that those wires have a hot and a ground, I'm thinking that they are not for a sensor, but for something that needs to be powered. Is the hot wire always hot, or just when the ignition is turned to the "on" position?
Old 11-14-2013, 04:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Need help ASAP

when I said spark I was refering to the spark plugs lol. the wires don't spark when they connect. but yes the wire is only hot when the key is in the on position. all fuses are still good and nothing is fried :-)
Old 11-15-2013, 12:48 AM
God Bless Texas!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lonestar QC
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:2929
RogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond reputeRogerRamJet has a reputation beyond repute

OK, thanks for the clarification. But I'm still foggy about where they go. They obviously power something up, duh, but what?
Old 11-15-2013, 06:59 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Need help ASAP

I'm not sure. schematic shows (according to colors of the wires) they go to the ect. problem with that is my ect is hooked up. and they couldn't reach that point even if I wanted them to. I'm gonna try to talk to someone at the local dodge shop today and see if they might be able to give me an idea of some sort. fat chance since I'm not really paying anything to them but hey, its a roll of the dice right
Old 11-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Paultocologist

I don't understand why we haven't had a member with the same harness look under their hood. I checked and don't even have the same wire harness.

Manual doors, manual trans, no A/C...

Someone (crickets chirping) anyone (crickets chirping)...

DISCLAIMER
Old 11-15-2013, 09:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Need help ASAP

I have manual windows and doors too. I'm just over here beating my head in the wall ya know. to be real honest I'm tempted to just get a new wiring harness and do the whole thing. ya know as if it's not a real pain in the arse already