DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2013 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2013 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2013 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn 4x4
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:17
batster is on a distinguished road

maybe the cord shrunk in the cold. I know my cords gets smaller when it get cold out
Old 11-13-2013, 05:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: .
Rep:4364
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexer View Post
Ya but you got a V8 right? If the pentastar filled up the engine compartment the way a big block would fit in it (in other words no standing room in the engine compartment....literally) then I think it would be fine...but that pentastar sits so far back in the engine compartment...it just doesn't reach...
Actually, the block heater on the v8 is located in the rear of the engine under the firewall above the transmission, If I am not mistaken the pentastar is located in the same area. Anyways, you could pull it up near the bottom of your windshield and zip tie it in that area some how, would have to look how it could be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRam View Post
Very good find.
Agree, this is a nice find
Old 11-13-2013, 07:40 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Prairie Pearl Clearcoat
Rep:132
mrolow will become famous soon enoughmrolow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonefishin776 View Post
do all trucks now have that? or is it an option for you guys up in the cold states/Canada?
It is available anywhere. My dealer thought I was crazy when I added it to my order. I live in Southern California. I ordered it because I travel to northern Utah and Southern Idaho in the winter.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:42 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 2500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Prairie Pearl Clearcoat
Rep:132
mrolow will become famous soon enoughmrolow will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So...last night I decided it was time to start plugging the truck in at night (using the block heater) when I noticed something...

Whoever decided how long that cord should be on my truck should get his cord cut...the cord barely reaches the radiator let alone go past the grill for easy access...

Anybody else have this problem? What did you do?

Oh and the truck has a pentastar engine which is why I think I have this problem (you know that lovely big gap in front of the engine that people can stand in)
Have you considered getting a short (1 foot) extension cord to attach to the truck end. It might then reach the bumper.

Here is one on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/16AWG-Black-...ht_2559wt_1124

Last edited by mrolow; 11-13-2013 at 07:49 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-13-2013, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: 2005 QC 4X4 HEMI RAM
Trim Level: Thunder Road
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:418
hydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nicehydrex is just really nice

I have never used a block heater. My hemi Magnum has almost 300,000 miles and my hemi Ram has almost 200,000 miles. Down to 20, maybe 25 below 0F. Only once I had a problem, around 1989 it got down to -40F or -40C same, btw I went to start my Mazda 323 and the cam shaft broke. I had a 4 cyl 89 Tacoma and managed to get it to start. Had to put it in 4wd low range to make it move, though. I'm a cheap bastid and hate it when my electric bill goes up.
Inertia Spartan Plus cam, Circle D 3,000 rpm stall converter,Sonnax line pressure booster, Vararam, JBA's with cut outs, Borla duals, Rancho 9000's,3:92's, extra rear leaf. 200,000 miles To Hell and back. 14.2/96 mph NEDW
Old 11-13-2013, 09:57 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Sport CC
Trim Level: Crew Sport
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:23
deathwarden5 is on a distinguished road

I believe Chrysler uses a old fashion round 2 pin block heater cord. If all else fails, you could just buy a longer cord and replace the factory one.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Red
Rep:10
venom108 is on a distinguished road

So I can add a block heater to my 2013 1500 5.7? http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MOPAR-OE...b31aa3&vxp=mtr will this work?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 1500 ST
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:10
sevensix is on a distinguished road
Default Plug-in heaters

Lived in Interior Alaska were it routinely drops to -60F. A two-cycle Skidoo will start with lots of encouragement but a vehicle will not unless it has 1) battery heater, 2) oil pan heater, 3) coolant line heater.
Then, maybe, it may start. A small milk barn heater modified to lay on its side works well, too. If you need quick start a propane heater works very well but slightly dangerous. Once the temp gets to -20F I parked the car for the winter and drove the Skidoo aka snowmachine, and at -45 I parked it because that is too dang cold. Believe me, -64F is very, very cold. At that temp you need two things: lots of hot coffee and your sweetie.

-sevensix
Old 11-14-2013, 07:48 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Longhorn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Red
Rep:55
Bruce E will become famous soon enough

Quote:
So...last night I decided it was time to start plugging the truck in at night (using the block heater) when I noticed something...

Whoever decided how long that cord should be on my truck should get his cord cut...the cord barely reaches the radiator let alone go past the grill for easy access...

Anybody else have this problem? What did you do?

Oh and the truck has a pentastar engine which is why I think I have this problem (you know that lovely big gap in front of the engine that people can stand in)
Hi Rexer, where are you in northern Ontario. I haven't found the need to plug my truck in up here but there is a lot more Ontario north of me. This is my second Ram although both have been Hemi's. I do however use the remote start on a regular basis.
Old 11-14-2013, 11:59 AM

Vehicle: Ram 1500
Trim Level: SXT
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:207
Rexer has a spectacular aura aboutRexer has a spectacular aura aboutRexer has a spectacular aura about

Nice find rkuhl84!

Asur- I guess that I was wrong in that assumption, but no...unfortunatly without extending the cord it won't reach that far, I suppose if I removed the cord from the plastic tubes protecting it (can't for the life of me think of the name for the tubing) I *might* be able to get it to reach that far

mrolow- I like, and maybe a quick fix if the dealership doesn't want to take care of i (gonna see if they'll do it, best long term way)...but failing the dealership fixing it long term wise I may install the bumper plug that rkuhl84 posted.

hydrex - I'm a rather cheap bastard myself (hence partially why I want the dealership to fix this), but that being said...when it's that cold out I prefer that my truck was plugged in so that it pumps the heat out that much quicker

sevensix - I've been in -40 more times then I care to think about..but if I never ever have to be in -64F it'll be too soon!

venom108 - I've never installed one myself, but yes that *sounds* like what your looking for

Bruce E- actually I'm not that far from your kneck of the woods...I'm over in the North Bay area, where I work right now we have a couple inches of snow already. I don't have the auto start but beleive me...it's top of the list!....I know I'm usually ahead of everybody else in plugging my truck in at night...but I'm glad cause I'd rather have found this out now rather then later...