DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-13-2013, 11:43 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3225
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Sean, the Magnaflow construction is shoddy at best, I have a pair of their dual outlet tips and the exterior looks great but the interior joint is just a jagged cutout with about a 3/16 of an inch sticking into the dual split. Neither the tip not their y-pipe is built for optimal flow, it's built for cheap mass production.

Think of the Magnaflow Y-pipe in it's designed intent: reversed to join 2 flows into 1, and you now have a 1/8"-1/4" perturbance in the flow that prevents smooth transition along the walls. I'm all for turbulent wall conditions to increase flow capabilities, but this is just cheap construction.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram factory order
Trim Level: ST
Color: BLACK
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:256
HOTRODHARLEY is a jewel in the roughHOTRODHARLEY is a jewel in the roughHOTRODHARLEY is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Sean, the Magnaflow construction is shoddy at best, I have a pair of their dual outlet tips and the exterior looks great but the interior joint is just a jagged cutout with about a 3/16 of an inch sticking into the dual split. Neither the tip not their y-pipe is built for optimal flow, it's built for cheap mass production.

Think of the Magnaflow Y-pipe in it's designed intent: reversed to join 2 flows into 1, and you now have a 1/8"-1/4" perturbance in the flow that prevents smooth transition along the walls. I'm all for turbulent wall conditions to increase flow capabilities, but this is just cheap construction.
Cheap mass produced is right. Even the new 4" muffler I bought has nice jagged edge inside(Will be making that disappear). Again. Not focusing on power here. Just flow dynamics and efficiency.
Belltech 3"/5" Lowering kit. Belltech Rear Swaybar, Flowmaster Y Pipe, Custom 4" Single Exhaust w/ 4" Race Magnaflow, 22" SRT10 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, Undercover SE Tonneau Cover, Weathertech Techliner Bedliner, Diablosport Trinity w/ Hemifever Tune
Old 11-14-2013, 04:40 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:10
pld is on a distinguished road

When I was going to order one, correct me if I'm wrong but I remember the details if this Y-pipe stating the inlet is the dual part 2-2 1/2" and outlet is the 3". Shouldn't matter anyway, it's just what I remember reading about the details on it.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:

I disagree, Kurtis.

Being a stamped unit it's about as perfect a contour as is possible. I don't understand what you're hinting at about reversing it, the 2.5" inlets also have a lip so it doesn't matter if you reverse it, you have the exact same situation.

The magnaflow y pipe I received is an extremely well made unit. The ends are cut straight and clean and the welds are very good.

I agree it's mass produced, and there's certainly some bad units that come with that, but the majority should be like the one I received. If I received one with a jagged or not straight cut I'd probably call them and try to get it swapped out.

I still believe it's like this by design. They could have moved the pipe 1/8"-1/4" and then welded it to get rid of the lip. They didn't though, and I believe it's because of the reasons I mentioned in my previous posts.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:09 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Quote:
When I was going to order one, correct me if I'm wrong but I remember the details if this Y-pipe stating the inlet is the dual part 2-2 1/2" and outlet is the 3". Shouldn't matter anyway, it's just what I remember reading about the details on it.
Correct it doesn't matter, you can reverse it and use it either way.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Rep:460
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

What's the first thing you do with an exhaust port,you polish it so that it's smooth,then you make sure your header flanges are the same size as your ports,with "no lip",carry that on down through the system,the smoother every bend is the better,moving air hates to make sharp corners,then when you hit the collectors,you want them to transition with as little interuption to the flow as possible into your exhaust pipes.

Your theory goes against pretty well every exhaust theory i've heard SK.

I'm like most of the guys,it's a crappy massed produced product.
With Magnaflow probably counting on the guys who buy one to either not notice the build quality,or to actually take a die grinder and smooth the inside of the piece out themselves.
It's relatively cheap to buy,and the old saying "you get what you pay for",applies in this case

If you ever get a chance,take a close look at a high performance 2 strokes expansion chamber.
If there was an advantage to a lip,i'm pretty sure you'd find one inside an expansion chamber,as a 2 stroke generates more exhaust flow then a comparable 4 stroke engine does
Old 11-14-2013, 07:37 PM

Yeah I get it, it certainly makes sense to have the smooth transitions. I dunno. I don't have to worry about it either way as I'm taking mine off in a couple weekends lol.

Even if that lip is a bad design and hurts, I certainly wouldn't call it a cheap product, it's very well made, and significantly better than stock.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:50 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram factory order
Color: BLACK
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:256
HOTRODHARLEY is a jewel in the roughHOTRODHARLEY is a jewel in the roughHOTRODHARLEY is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Yeah I get it, it certainly makes sense to have the smooth transitions. I dunno. I don't have to worry about it either way as I'm taking mine off in a couple weekends lol.

Even if that lip is a bad design and hurts, I certainly wouldn't call it a cheap product, it's very well made, and significantly better than stock.

Definitely disagree there. It's not very well made. It's sub par mass produced made. Either you have low standards for quality or I'm an over anal princess who thinks every little bit helps. And it is most definitely not significantly better. Just like you say the flaws in the Maggie Y are minor. I'll say the same about the stock Y. If you wanna see a well made Y and a company who are master at exhaust/headers. Check out Burns Stainless.

Now. Can I ask what you are putting in place of your Y..?
Belltech 3"/5" Lowering kit. Belltech Rear Swaybar, Flowmaster Y Pipe, Custom 4" Single Exhaust w/ 4" Race Magnaflow, 22" SRT10 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, Undercover SE Tonneau Cover, Weathertech Techliner Bedliner, Diablosport Trinity w/ Hemifever Tune
Old 11-14-2013, 11:07 PM

On my phone, excuse the brevity...

What I meant was to set aside the discussion about the lip, and I was saying it is a well manufactured piece, good welds, etc.

Currently I have stock cats, my own 2.5" downpipes to the magnaflow y pipe to single 3" to a 14" straight through muffler, stock trail pipe. Going to redo from manifolds to tailpipe, eliminating cats and y pipe. I got a 22" marshmallow muffler for free so the y pipe is in the muffler. All ss, mandrel bends, tig welded. Will have 6 pieces band clamped this time. Have 4 currently its a bit tight to take apart.

Wanted to build headers but don't have the time, money, our need lol

Old 11-14-2013, 11:10 PM

Magnaflow loll, not marshmallow... Damn phone.

Main reason to redo it is to put on the quieter muffler and have in more pieces, as its tough to remove currently to get Trans out. Also I used mig last time (fcaw) so welds are mild steel and rusting. Knew it would happen though