DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-15-2013, 11:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:650
chefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to beholdchefred112 is a splendid one to behold

And that there shows how ignorant cops are to whats legal and whats not..
2005 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT: 12.107 @ 113.960 MPH
Old 11-15-2013, 11:30 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3269
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

^^This.

As long as you're not tampering with federally mandated emissions equipment, rendering safety equipment inoperable, or breaching county/state laws (such as tint, max/min bumper height, etc) then it's not illegal. I had a road-side 'discussion' a few years ago with a RCMP officer because I didn't have mudflaps... on a lowered truck. Says I had to have mudflaps or it was illegal to drive the truck... I countered with the need for the rocker panel to be equal or below the centerline of the wheel. Guess who was right?
Old 11-16-2013, 02:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:525
Thebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of lightThebestestdrummer is a glorious beacon of light

ahhhh cops sometimes though... I got pulled over because i had green LEDs on. Underbody and interior, I clearly had my tubes visible though, And he mentioned that it makes seeing things outside the truck harder to see. Which is true, ill give him that. BUT he said he wouldn't have stopped me if it was just the underbody that was on, BUT he mentioned that green was illegal either way. Which it isn't in Indiana.

His reasoning is that its what volunteer firefighters run with. buttttttt he didn't know I am a volunteer firefighter.. and as far as I know, its blue, I know soommeeee run with green. But hardly any. But either way he said it was illegal to run with green underbody leds. Its not.

and what this min/max bumper height?
plasti-dipped hood stripe, rims, mirrors,handles, emblems,
Green Interior LEDs
Old 02-17-2014, 10:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Pckrfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
That's some great info Tim! I've stopped caring what the fuzz says about my truck, though I did lots of research about my HIDs and LED lights before I started. It's lucky for me that I'm in Alberta where it's Canada's truck capitol and we mod everything in sight! Finding a stock truck is the hard thing out here.
Lucky for us, the Traffic Safety Act and it's regulations are on line. Tells ya everything you need to know about what we can do to our trucks. As for not caring about what the cops tell ya.... Some of them in the YYC now start giving out "Vehicle equipment compliance" forms along with the ticket. If we don't get the violation back to,stock or mfg spec, then they can take the plate and tow the truck..... I've heard of guys getting those for the stack exhausts and HID conversions in the non projector lenses.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Pckrfan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
^^This.

As long as you're not tampering with federally mandated emissions equipment, rendering safety equipment inoperable, or breaching county/state laws (such as tint, max/min bumper height, etc) then it's not illegal. I had a road-side 'discussion' a few years ago with a RCMP officer because I didn't have mudflaps... on a lowered truck. Says I had to have mudflaps or it was illegal to drive the truck... I countered with the need for the rocker panel to be equal or below the centerline of the wheel. Guess who was right?
Actually, I think to be perfectly accurate...... it is centre line of the axle. ( but you were right....... Surprised he didn't counter with measuring your tail light or signal light.. Hahahaha)
Old 03-24-2014, 02:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Laramie
sapper6fd is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMING IT View Post
I'm not to familiar with the tinting laws in Canada but that definition is definitely open for interpretation. Sounds like both our countries have similar laws in regards to the %of light allowable through the drivers immediate field of view. If thats the case then I'm going to assume that we have similar ways of going about correcting those that defy this law. Here in Los Angeles County California, U.S. when the citing officer is issuing a citation for "illegal tinting" he/she can not just guess, assume or eyeball it, he must take a reading with a specific tool that reads the % of light that is restricted due to the tinting by placing the light sending device on the exterior part of the glass and the receiving end on interior part of the glass and a % reading is immediately displayed and recorded for court use if you decide to contest the citation (which most of us dont)hehe... Now there are rights you can exercise... As you could imagine these sensitive devices just like any other electronic sensitive measuring tool have to be calibrated by an authorized individual every so often to maintain optimal accurate readings with minimal margin of error per manufactures specs and a RECORD MUST BE KEPT INDICATING DATE, TIME, CALIBRATION READINGs, NAME & signature OF THE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN performing the calibration in order for this device to be used in the field (I believe but not certain its every two weeks) If for some reason you feel you were unlawfully cited you can dispute your citation and you can subpoena all service records for that specific tool used on your vehicle. Now you guys get were I'm going with this so to make a short story long, any, I mean ANY TYPE of discrepancy with their service/maintenance records including but definitely never limited to skipped, late, unfinished calibration, tech not certified or even if the unit was wiped down by a person other than the handling officer or any other authorized persons are GROUNDS FOR DISMISSAL!! Its happened once back in 09 to me and back in 2010 for my disabled cousin. Chances are it will never get that far usually 70% of the people contesting their citation get it dismissed that same day due to the absence of the citing officer.....most of the time the Dept's budget can not afford to pay to have an officer to sit in court for 2-8hrs not including any additional time needed by the officer to complete any necessary paperwork on his end!!

CAN I HEAR A... CHA CHING$$ thats cash money in our pockets big brother missed out on.
DISCLAIMER: I'm in no way shape or form advising, implying, suggesting or even remotely hinting for you to try this or that this will even work, I am simply exercising my god & government giving right to verbally (in this case typing)share my views and opinions in regards to the matter at hand. God Bless our troops & may God Bless this fine country we call home. OoRaahh!
Dumb question here, but isn't the Presidents Limo tinted beyond the legal limit in almost every state???? What a double standard..... Bwaaahahaha!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:52 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 4X4 Crew CAb
Trim Level: LoneStar Rambox
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:74
ghorn will become famous soon enough

Follow the money!

Aftermarket supply is big business and they are not caring about meeting vehicle requirements...they are interested is selling you something.

In the aircraft industry .... no modifications are allowed unless they are tested and proven to be airworthy. I wish similar processes were applicable to the road...such as some of those incredibly-high, jacked-up suspensions which are not tested for roadworthiness and which clearly threaten all the rest of us on the road with them... BUT...

...there'd be a huge uproar about "freedom" and "individuality" etc etc etc and the argument would be supported by aftermarket suppliers of high-lift/jack-up products.

Until someone wins a huge lawsuit against those guys (which happen to also be some of the guys who support this website...so go figure THAT relationship...) ... nothing much will happen.

And modifiers and owners who are unknowlegeable and/or unethical will continue to endanger themselves and YOU and ME.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:18 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:20
PaulBx is on a distinguished road

Governments rely heavily on self-enforcement for compliance. There are not enough cops to force us to do something if we really don't want to. That is why the latest gun control efforts in Connecticut, New Jersey and New York have run into a brick wall.

As a matter of principle, I believe your property is yours to do with as you please (the whole concept of "Is my mod legal" is bogus), and that you should not self-enforce laws and regulations you disagree with. Let them put a gun to your head (figuratively, I mean!) before going along.

Just my opinion. I realize this can get dangerous; some cops are murderers. So, use some discretion.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:27 AM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM 1500 SLT 4X4 HEMI
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
HighSierra is on a distinguished road

New Brunswick Motor vehicle act. 300+ pages

http://laws.gnb.ca/en/showpdf/cs/M-17.pdf

Motor vehicle inspections Web site:

http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/se...spections.html