DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > Cummins Diesel Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-17-2013, 04:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Color: White
Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
Rep:10
kiwijet is on a distinguished road
Default Yet another throttle issue, this time a 12V

Hi, I'm a newbie here, having just driven my new purchase home, a 1994 5.9 auto 12V dually. It was all going so well until...

After driving 5 hours without missing a beat, followed by an hour wait in the lanes for the ferry, during the short drive onto the ship, the car just lost power and kept stalling. Pushing the pedal had limited effect, there was nothing there, dreaded dead pedal? I had to really work the throttle just to keep it running, if I took my foot of the gas it would just die.

On disembarking however, the Ram started no problem and drove off with no further issues until....

Fast forward to the next day after 5 hours (with rest stops) on the road, I nearing the end of a long uphill climb when I felt a drop in power, sort of like it dropped a cylinder. It started to shake heaps through the steering.
Foot to the floor to regain speed found a really hard springy pedal with no response from the engine, but letting off the gas and it sort of caught again. Once the throttle was eased up and auto went into OD it seemed to run better. Still felt like it was running a five or less cylinders.

Gauges and engine lights were all OK.

I struggled on like this for awhile then the problem eventually disappeared. For the last hour of the trip the Ram ran fine.

I've had a read of this sort of problem in the 24 valve engines with suspect IP's but not much on the 12 valve. So I've had issues at low speed and highway speed, so I'm thinking, what's more likely, bad IP, APPS, fuel pump or something else? Is there any way to tell which might be causing it without the costly exercise of replacing components one by one?

New info: I just noticed that the engine had just been serviced and the garage has fitted a Fram PH11 oil filter where the fuel filter should be. Good grief - what effect would that have on my performance, would this be contributing/causing my problems?

Last edited by kiwijet; 11-17-2013 at 05:25 AM. Reason: New information
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2013, 02:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

Get that oil filter off there ASAP. Put a good FUEL filter on there, then report back. That would definitely cause issues.
Old 01-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: maroon and silver
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
sinfulrelations is on a distinguished road

to me almost sounds like what happened when the lift pump started going bad on my 96 cummins, it would just loose power randomly. like he said though get that oil filter off and replace with a fuel filter.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Color: White
Engine: 1994-1995 359ci (5.9L) Cummins 12-valve Diesel I6 175hp 420lb/ft(manual), 160hp 400lb/ft(auto)
kiwijet is on a distinguished road
Default Took me awhile to reply

as I don't use the truck that often. I changed the oil filter for the proper Fleetguard fuel filter. Towed my 7000# race car trailer for two hour round trip over flat to medium terrain with no issues. Problem solved I thought, until I had another trip with a way smaller 2000# trailer, but this time had to tackle a steady hill climb, which I did at about 50mph, then as usual, just as the crest of the hill is reached, the the truck starts jerking, take the foot off the throttle and it calms down a bit, but put the throttle down and it's almost like a dead pedal and feels like it's only running on 5 cylinders with a noticeable drivetrain vibration. Fifteen or so minutes later with no other steep climbs, the problem went away. It seems to occur whether towing or not, but only after a steep descent at or close to wide open throttle.

Opinions?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 Cummins 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Red
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:326
the persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the roughthe persuader is a jewel in the rough

It would be good to get a fuel pressure reading to see what you're dealing with. Not sure about the 12v trucks, but I check for a test port by the injection pump. You can get a cheap test gauge at an auto parts store.