DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-17-2013, 07:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
paulwbrown230 is on a distinguished road
Default Mileage indicator and trip odometer questions

The estimated mileage is shown when I am in the fuel economy "section", but below that is a line with marks from 0 - 30 that seems to indicate actual mileage with a moving horizontal broad line. Since it will sometimes range between 20 and 30 when I am driving about 35 mph and the fuel estimator says about 11 mpg, I know that it cannot represent MPG. What does it demonstrate / represent?

I have been unable to find a trip odometer. Does it have one? More of a curiosity than any need as I travel very little, but it is hard to imagine that a Big Horn does not have one. The Ram manual is disappointing. My last car was a Hyundai Sonata, and it had a very comprehensive manual. It was as least 4X as thick of the Ram manual. I thought there might be a more comprehensive online manual, but appears to be the same one I have. As I am new to trucks and specifically the Ram, I appreciate a place to get answers.
Sponsored links
Old 11-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1946
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

The horizontal bar represents your real time fuel mileage.

To get the the trip meter press the button up in the cluster. It will go through trip A, trip B, hours, and odometer. To reset the trip meters hold the button down while on either trip A or B.

The Rams come with a CD that has a lot more of the manual on it. You can also request a full print out of the manual from Ram customer service.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's
Old 11-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 HEMI
Trim Level: Express
Color: True Blue
myhemi is on a distinguished road

The horizontal bar also has an arrow which points to your average MPG so you will be able to tell if you are operating above or below your current average.
Old 11-17-2013, 08:54 PM
Ram Ham

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1464
KA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud ofKA1OTE has much to be proud of

^^ All great info!

As for the physical manuals.. call US toll free # 1 866 726-4636. The kit in my glove box came with a little post card sized paper with this contact info on it. I damn near threw it away.. but if you read the very fine print it gives you that phone number to call Chrysler for your free owner's manuals.

I called and they sent me the Owner's Manual (700+ pages), Warranty Manual and Media Center Guide for my specific model radio (730N RHR) all free of charge and no shipping fees! The only catch is that you must be the original/first owner to qualify for this offer.

Last edited by KA1OTE; 11-18-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Thanks for the quick & helpful responses on MPG & trip odometer

I find it hard to believe that the "floating" horizontal bar accurately represents real time mileage. If it does, then my hemi is getting better MPG than my Sonata! The bar goes back and forth between the 20 mark and the end of the bar which should be about 30 when I am driving around 30 - 35 MPH. All this when the "average MPG" shows 11 + - . What am I missing? Could the MPG be that high?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default My trip odometer not part of menu selection

As suggested, I went through the menu arrows again but could not find the trip odometer. While sitting in the cab in frustration, I notice the old fashion rod / pin sticking out of the instrument panel cover. I pushed it and magically trip A, B, & odometer appeared as options, and I could modify the trip mileage by holding in the rod. Odd that it is not part of the very comprehensive menu.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Default Brandonjansen, I misread your suggestion

I went back and re-read what you wrote about the trip odometer, and your were right. When you referred to the button in the cluster, I thought you meant the cluster of menu arrow buttons. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Lifted Cummins Fanatic

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 3500 CCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie Limited
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:1946
brandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant futurebrandonjansen has a brilliant future

Yup, for some reason you can't access it with the steering wheel controls which I thought was weird as well. Took me a little bit to find where they were using the button in the cluster.

The horizontal bar representing real time mileage is a little hokey IMO as well. Even how the truck calculates the average mileage is ridiculous if you think about it. I haven't reset mine for about 2 and a half months but it's still just as easy to change the average by leaning on the pedal now as it was at the beginning. With that length of time the average should level off and stay fairly consistent seeing as my driving habits haven't changed.
What you have to remember though is that yes while your cruising at a constant speed it might be up that high, but when you're starting from a stand still you're dumping fuel into it like crazy which is what really brings down the average. To test that all you would have to do is reset your average with your cruise control on going one constant speed; I'm sure your average will end up being around 20 or so. But if you reset it when you're starting off from a stop light it will probably be closer to 2 or 3 mpg because of how much fuel it takes to get the truck moving.

2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited Cummins Build Thread
8" BDS Long Arm Lift with Fox 2.0 Shocks | Dual Fox 2.0 Steering Stabilizer | 37x13.5 Toyo MT's | AMP Powersteps & Bedstep | Bakflip G2 | Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover
EST 500 hp/1268 ft-lbs at FW | H&S MiniMaxx Custom Tuned | 4" Flo Pro Stainless TBE | Sinister EGR Delete | ARP 425 Head Studs | 4.56 AAM/Yukon Gears | S&B Intake w/ Scoop
Guide to Leveling & Wheel and Tire Sizing for 06+ 4wd Ram 1500's