DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-18-2013, 11:42 PM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc08 View Post
did you order through bully's? if so, how much total?
For the entire intake through us is $264 delivered, if you find a lower price we will match it or beat it. http://bullysperformance.com/dodge-r...nufacturer=101.

The SRI's almost always give more horse power, as it is not just how cool the air is, however the air velocity and how smoothly it gets to the engine, here are some very good posts from a fellow member in another thread explaining it much better than I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
The best short ram intake you can get is one that draws from a fresh air source, by design accelerates the air flow along its length and resists thermal absorbtion into the air flow. The best short ram intake ever made for the hemi engine is the Legmaker 'Hammer' intake or the old BFI for the trucks.

So, talking about flow velocity: Because of the 'keg style' intake manifold we have, the higher the intake velocity you have entering through the throttle body, the more air you can move into the combustion chambers in the given open intake valve period. The intake manifold takes care of flow acceleration with its active short/long runner settings, but you want to get as much air flowing into the intake manifold as possible.

Since a N/A engine generates vacuum, this is how it moves air into the combustion chamber, by creating a pressure differential between the cylinders and intake manifold. The intake manifold must replenish its volume regularly and it does this through an intake, and is throttled by the throttle body. The speed at which the manifold replenishes its volume determines its efficiency. An ideal intake tube design reduces the flow restrictions, surface drag, and allows for laminar air compression along its length.

An ideal intake will have a large opening to atmosphere, preferably with no intake restriction (not practical since we want filtration as well), gently reduces its diameter through a cone shape that will allow for the compression of the air flow, which increases velocity of the flow, and made of an internal surface that reduces the effect of the no-slip condition. Smooth surfaces are not ideal, a contoured surface that reduces the detachment and shear away speeds is best.

Most Cold Air Intakes are just that... they route air from outside the engine bay through a tube to the throttle body. As stated in previous posts, the Vararam does this very well, but it doesn't do anything for the flow velocity as there is no runner length to increase the intake velocity. It does have a much larger reservoir capacity compared to most cone filters, but the tiny hole it has to move air through doesn't impress me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM View Post
Actually, a short ram intake will always give you better flow, it's a characteristic of their design. Intake air temps aren't the same as the ambient air temp except at highway speeds in the short ram intake design because of heat soak. It's a minimal change, <10 deg, but a change none the less.

The Vararam just gets closer to ambient intake temps because it's a shorter travel distance and you see less heat soak into the intake air pocket compared to most short ram CAIs that use a plastic or aluminum mid-tube. If you want the best mid-tube heat characteristics you want to look at a carbon fiber tube, they don't heat soak and don't pass that heat into the intake air charge.

hope this helps you all get the benefits of SRI's

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!
Old 11-19-2013, 01:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 sport CC
Trim Level: sport
Color: white
Rep:16
calvinmx48 is on a distinguished road
Default Macc08

Macc08- I haven't gotten my final quote shipped to Canada yet. I will have it today
Sounds like we should get two and split shipping
Hemi fever tuned Trinity, bilsteins @ 2.8, 1" TGC spacer, LMI SRI, 180 T-stat, 2500/3500 flares, weather techs, heart-throbe muffler kit, BT catch can, 5K HIDs, on the way- black rhino glamis wheels wrapped in nitto trails
Old 11-19-2013, 01:43 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:722
macc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bully's Performance View Post
For the entire intake through us is $264 delivered, if you find a lower price we will match it or beat it. http://bullysperformance.com/dodge-r...nufacturer=101.

The SRI's almost always give more horse power, as it is not just how cool the air is, however the air velocity and how smoothly it gets to the engine, here are some very good posts from a fellow member in another thread explaining it much better than I can.

hope this helps you all get the benefits of SRI's
great info, thanks!

also, is there any support for the intake (physically) or is the weight of the intake/filter just depending on the clamp to the throttle body? i'd like to see some kind of support bracket for the tube...
Old 11-19-2013, 02:31 PM

Vehicle: 2014 dodge ram
Color: Black
Rep:10
RAMESPY24 is on a distinguished road

So the LMI Short Ram CAI will fit our 2014's?
LMI Short Ram Intake, Diablo Sport Trinity 93 tune, Retrax Pro Cover, Stubby Antenna, Deeze Tailgate Assist and Moroso Gloss Black Oil Catch Can, tint, and blacked out emblems. Soon to come Spintech 6000 pro street muffler with Flowmaster Y-pipe and Fastmann TB with Hemifever Tune.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:07 PM

Default Yes

From what I'm being told yes it will
Hemi fever tuned Trinity, bilsteins @ 2.8, 1" TGC spacer, LMI SRI, 180 T-stat, 2500/3500 flares, weather techs, heart-throbe muffler kit, BT catch can, 5K HIDs, on the way- black rhino glamis wheels wrapped in nitto trails
Old 11-19-2013, 03:22 PM

Vehicle: 2014 dodge ram
Color: Black
Rep:10
RAMESPY24 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvinmx48 View Post
Thank you for you kinda and quick response
LMI Short Ram Intake, Diablo Sport Trinity 93 tune, Retrax Pro Cover, Stubby Antenna, Deeze Tailgate Assist and Moroso Gloss Black Oil Catch Can, tint, and blacked out emblems. Soon to come Spintech 6000 pro street muffler with Flowmaster Y-pipe and Fastmann TB with Hemifever Tune.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram R/T
Rep:42
okcrt is on a distinguished road

Which one of these would be best for my 2014 R/T?? It looked like there's 3 options.

http://www.modernmuscleperformance.c..._Air_s/161.htm
Old 11-21-2013, 12:12 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Color: Mineral Grey Metallic
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:722
macc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to beholdmacc08 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Macc08- I haven't gotten my final quote shipped to Canada yet. I will have it today
Sounds like we should get two and split shipping
lol i wish i could right now. but i am very curious to see how it works out. i havent really seen to many threads with reviews on it.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:01 AM

Default Sri

Well I will update when I put it on. It should be here earlie next week
Old 11-22-2013, 01:04 AM
BULLYS PERFORMANCE

Vehicle: MOPAR
Rep:931
Bully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to beholdBully's Performance is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc08 View Post
great info, thanks!

also, is there any support for the intake (physically) or is the weight of the intake/filter just depending on the clamp to the throttle body? i'd like to see some kind of support bracket for the tube...
The intake tube is very very light (as it is 100% carbon fiber w/ the exception of the coupling and clamps) and then the weight of the filter, the entire set up can't weigh more than a couple pounds, the only support is the clamp on the TB like many other SRI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMESPY24 View Post
So the LMI Short Ram CAI will fit our 2014's?
They should fit the 14's just fine

Quote:
You would be correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcrt View Post
Which one of these would be best for my 2014 R/T?? It looked like there's 3 options.

http://www.modernmuscleperformance.c..._Air_s/161.htm
I do not see any of the RAM intakes on there, the only one from LMI that is confirmed working ATM is this one http://bullysperformance.com/lmi-sho...3-5-7-564.html (which I do not see on the page you provided), and then there is just the tube which should work but I have not seen anyone install it yet http://bullysperformance.com/lmi-mid...3-5-7-565.html.

If you need one of these shipped out feel free to grab one up, if you find a lower price we will match it or beat it

ALSO Feel free to PM us, OR post in our Vendor Section for quotes/questions/assistance!