DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Quad 4X4
Trim Level: SPORT
Color: Black Pearl
Rep:35
HEMI5150 is on a distinguished road
Default 2010 Hemi Truck Transmission Noise`s...????

Anybody else with this going on...?

2010 Hemi Truck (1500 Reg Cab Shortbox)
545rfe auto trans

Annoying tranny noise`s come an go constantly... can make it do it anytime... (only hear it AFTER the torque converter goes into lock up) the noise description sounds like a A/C compressor turning on an off all the time that has been overfilled will freon or a/c oil... the engine power drops when i hear it too. (its NOT the AC compressor either, i already unhooked that, so thats not whats doing it) Its definately coming from the transmission. Hit the switch on the shifter and drop it into 5th or 4th, noise gone. Also push in the dash button for tow mode, noise also goes away until converter locks up into overdrive mode again. The noise does effect it when in OD, it just makes the grumbaling noise and the tranny stays in OD until you push the gas pedal down to get it to stop makin noise`s. Dosent seem to be getting worse, but it isnt going away either. Its done it since the day i drove it home. Anybody else ever heard of that with the 2009 and 2010 hemi`trucks...?

Also the exhaust is horrible on this truck...
sounds like ther`s something rumbling inside the resonator at the backend.
Just a real nasty droneing sound when you drive the truck at lower speeds.

Took to 3 different dealers already... nobody has a clue...!
All they seem to know how to do is, bring it back when it quits or breaks.

I spent 30yrs working in dealerships as a top mastertech,
since retiring, i`ve never been so depressed with todays so called tech`s and dealers.

Anyhow, hope maybe someone else has heard of this type of complaint...
maybe with a few good heads together we might be able to help others including me

Thanks guyz - HEMI5150

You might be able to bullshit your way to the top, BUT, it wont keep you there

Never believe what you hear, and only half of what you see
Sponsored links
Old 12-26-2009, 11:07 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

I just searched DealerConnect for any outstanding TSB's and can't find any info on either problem. I haven't seen or heard of either of these problems as of yet, but we haven't had many problems with the '09-'10 models or the 545RFE. Occassionally we have had to put in a torque converter due to shudder on lockup. Are you sure your problems aren't related to the MDS kicking on and off?
Old 12-26-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remerson228 View Post
I just searched DealerConnect for any outstanding TSB's and can't find any info on either problem. I haven't seen or heard of either of these problems as of yet, but we haven't had many problems with the '09-'10 models or the 545RFE. Occassionally we have had to put in a torque converter due to shudder on lockup. Are you sure your problems aren't related to the MDS kicking on and off?
Hello Remerson,
thats a good question on the MDS budd, because now that i think about it, it seems to coralate with the MDS going in an out. (my 5.7 hemi rt charger is nothing like this truck... my rt is super quiet in an out of MDS mode, absolutely no tranny issues, no noise`s at all from anywhere) Whenever you put the trans in manual mode, you dont hear the noise, but also, the OD dosent come on in maual mode either... BUT after going back to AUTO mode and when i see the ECO light turn on in the EVIC, shortly after that, you hear the noise come back. Slight gas pedal pressure does effect it. Soon as you push a little gas, the noise instanly disappears, and so dosent the ECO lite, but thats supposed to do thatbecause it goes back into 8cyl mode at that point. Its definately a shuddering kind of sound... i really cant describe it any better other than it sounds like a bad A/C compressor shuddering/rattling. I was hopeing is WASNT an issue with the torque converter because i DONT want ANYBODY touching this truck unless it leaves me stranded... i`ve been thru WAY too many dealer nightmares, and not just with cars/trucks, motorcycle dealers too. I have no faith in them anymore, so i am always gonna have my guard up whenever around them. Here`s a for instance for you.... i just took the truck in for its first oil change, the guy brought out BULK filled jug`s of oil to put in my truck... i asked him WTF are you gonna do with that reconditioned oil...?!?!?!?!... he said he was going to dump it in my truck. Well i guess you knowwwww what i told him to do with that bulk reconditioned oil...! I made him go back to the parts department and get brand new mopar oil in brandnew sealed jugs. And people wonder why their HEMI`s are developing ticking noise`s...?!?!?!?!?!

As for the exhaust rumbling, i`ve read on couple other dodge truck forums that they`ve had issues with exhaust on these new 4th gen trucks... if it gets any worse, you can bet ther will be a custom exhaust installed

Ok, i think i`ve givin ya enough to read for a couple minutes....lol
....and thankyou very much for chimeing in here...your help is gladly appreciated....!

Old 12-26-2009, 11:51 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie 4x2
Color: Deep Water Blue Two Tone
Rep:432
MightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really niceMightyBlueRam is just really nice

I don't mean to sound foolish, but uh "reconditioned oil" at a dealership? Um I thought that they used good oil?

.[/I]

Old 12-27-2009, 12:31 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Hemi Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:62
boostjunkie1 will become famous soon enough

Sound to me like you are hearing the MDS come in and out..... The exhaust note is bad with the MDS on the trucks. If you are not feeling the shudder from the tranny during O/D that is not the issue! Take it to the dealer and make sure that they make a report about it ASAP! This will help cover your rear in the future with the warranty!
Old 12-27-2009, 01:08 AM

Rep:41
fireman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostjunkie1 View Post
Sound to me like you are hearing the MDS come in and out..... The exhaust note is bad with the MDS on the trucks. If you are not feeling the shudder from the tranny during O/D that is not the issue! Take it to the dealer and make sure that they make a report about it ASAP! This will help cover your rear in the future with the warranty!
plus 1 on the MDS.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:50 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:1824
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The hemi tick is what it is. I've never heard one that doesnt do it. The reason the MDS kicking in and out is more prevelant in the trucks is because it uses the 545 RFE. The NAG transmission in the LX bodied cars does a better job of masking the MDS activation. Regardless of what brand oil you choose, make sure it's 5w-20 as it is critical for proper MDS operation. In case you weren't aware, your engine also has variable cam timing.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:39 AM

Quote:
The hemi tick is what it is. I've never heard one that doesnt do it. The reason the MDS kicking in and out is more prevelant in the trucks is because it uses the 545 RFE. The NAG transmission in the LX bodied cars does a better job of masking the MDS activation. Regardless of what brand oil you choose, make sure it's 5w-20 as it is critical for proper MDS operation. In case you weren't aware, your engine also has variable cam timing.
Remerson...
I think i can agree with you about the 545RFE vs the NAG trans in the LX cars and the masking
The truck is still very much brand new yet, so maybe i should do a little more investigating on the noise issue... i`m just not totally sold on the idea that its a normal noise that i`m hearing, especially when i drove some other hemi trucks identicle to mine, and they dont have the noise i`m hearing in mine.

On the other hand, the exhaust rumbling is somethin i`ll have to deal with right away, as it just drives me crazy... gives me a headache with all that droneing sound waves.

Yes, i know about the variable cam timing... (2009VVT and the 2010VCT)
And YES i agree, a good oil (5w20) is a definate must for ALL the hemi`s
I am by the book about ALL my vehicles...! Service interval`s as well...!
I even made the mechanic look up the torque spec for the oil drain plug (which is 25ftlbs) and made him use a torque wrench to tighten it. Some people call it anal, i call it the correct way to do things. Torque spec`s are there for a reason, so why not do it right the first time.

As for the other person questioning the re-conditioned oil (at my dealer), that has and IS going on at most places you get your oil changes done at... its called profit, thats why they do it. If you dont watch them put your oil in, you will most likely get re-conditioned oil... so be alert...! Most of your JiffyLube`s, and all of the McDonald`s fast food oilchange places ALL use re-conditioned oil across the whole country. This guy actually brought out the oil in used mopar oil containers... can you believe THAT BS...?!?!?!?!?! I told him, "OH HELL NOOOO, you go get brand new containers that havent had the cap/seal broke open on them...!" They had been useing old mopar oil containers and just refilling them with re-conditioned BULK oil from a 55gal drum located in their parts room... the labels on the old mopar containers were just about rubbed clean off, otherwise had i NOT seen them, i would NOT have known the difference...! Thank god i was standing there watching them...!

Heyyyy, thanks again guyz, any more ideas, just toss`m out at me...
i`d love to figure this out before i have to go back to ANY dodge dealer`s...
as i much prefer to do my own work, warrantee or not, i`m the only guy thats gonna make sure the truck is 100 percent perfect when the work is done on it. Nobody will ever do the work to your own personal standards like YOU will. Some people really dont care how they work on YOUR car. Its MY money, MY truck, MY way.

Last edited by HEMI5150; 12-27-2009 at 04:03 AM.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:

No tick in my 2010 hemi truck
Never a tick in my RT Hemi Charger either
Only ticking i hear is the fuel injectors in both hemi`s
My 2005 hemi truck didnt tick either... maybe i`m just lucky huhh

I think good 5w20 oil and factory oil filter changed often is the key (every 2,500 miles maximum)
All i ever used in all my hemi vehicles is Semi-Synthetic 5w20... and no 100% synthetic`s have ever been used... inside all my engine(s) is always super clean

Last edited by HEMI5150; 12-27-2009 at 04:03 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-27-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostjunkie1 View Post
What gets me is, the tranny shifts PERFECT everytime in this 2010 truck, no shudder felt at all comin from the tranny... clean shifts and firm
Thats why its confusing me with this noise when it goes into O/Drive and i hear this noise coming from under the hood.
I`ve rebuilt hundreds of automatic tranny`s in my days, this one shifts GREAT...!

Last edited by HEMI5150; 12-27-2009 at 04:02 AM. Reason: spelling