DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 4th Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-20-2013, 11:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 ram 1500
Trim Level: slt
Color: Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
TbGabe is on a distinguished road

Do you have email for quality control V P
Old 11-21-2013, 09:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Laramie Longhorn
Color: Prairie Pearl Coat
Rep:46
R@mF@n is on a distinguished road

Got a call first thing this morning from the dealership - I am being told that they have a way to fix. I was told that they are going to replace the hoses and back level to 2012 type coolant. I was told that they will have the parts in by Monday and will fix the truck. I will admit, I am a little leery here as this forum has posted in a previous thread that Chrysler was not going to back level the OAT coolant. I wonder what happens down the road (from a warranty perspective) if someone decides to top off the coolant with OAT once I have been ported to 2012 type. This seems more like a temporary work-around than a fix.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram Laramie Crew cab Hemi
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
paulswagelock is on a distinguished road

I was originally told that would be the fix, new hoses and back spec to 2012 coolant. I asked about having a new owners manual and all new under hood warning stickers to protect me and any future users from an accidental top off since 5% of the wrong coolant will ruin the motor. Chrysler engineers came back and said they were no longer going to use that fix, but would instead have new hoses made that do not react. I was to get them Monday. As it turns out, I got a call today and the new hoses were to be manufactured starting Monday. So I do not have them yet. The owner of my dealer has and still offers that I can drive his personal 2014 Ram until mine is fixed. I have not taken him up on the offer but might soon if this keeps dragging on.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:07 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 RCSB
Color: Red
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:69
USAF Long will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to USAF Long

I would take his truck and let mine sit.

Do parts stores not offer hoses yet for these trucks?

This is something that I would rather just fix myself. I can drain and flush the coolant, and replace some hoses without getting jerked around by Chrysler and my dealer and having down time without a truck that I pay every month on.

I wouldn't sell my truck back over this issue though. I love my truck and with the custom touches I've done to it so far I'd lose money selling it back. I don't notice this problem on my 2013 5.7L but I am going to go today and open the radiator and see if it smells like death.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:31 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express Quad Cab
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:45
TinMan68 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulswagelock View Post
I was originally told that would be the fix, new hoses and back spec to 2012 coolant. I asked about having a new owners manual and all new under hood warning stickers to protect me and any future users from an accidental top off since 5% of the wrong coolant will ruin the motor. Chrysler engineers came back and said they were no longer going to use that fix, but would instead have new hoses made that do not react. I was to get them Monday. As it turns out, I got a call today and the new hoses were to be manufactured starting Monday. So I do not have them yet. The owner of my dealer has and still offers that I can drive his personal 2014 Ram until mine is fixed. I have not taken him up on the offer but might soon if this keeps dragging on.
If I were you I would be driving his truck. This is going to turn into another Obama Care and you might get a fix next year after they find out what it is. I'm not too sure its only the hoses there are other factors involved here. I had a long talk with shop techs and parts man and its surprising just how little they know! LOL! Right now they are guessing!
2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Express Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi With 6 Speed Automatic And 3:55 LSD Gears and 20 Inch Rubber
2002 A6 3.0L 30V Quattro Avant Auto
2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Model 6 Speed Manual
Old 11-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Larimie
Trim Level: Larimie
Color: Black Gold Pearl
jimbopa is on a distinguished road
Default $53,000 for a smelly fishbowl follow up

So I took my 2013 dodge ram in to get the dealer, motorwold in Wilkes barre to address the issue. I first talked to dodge customer care who advised I need to take in to dealer to establish a case number. Both the dealer and dodge play dumb on the smell issue. I wait around for three hours and the dealer tells me they sent a message into dodge, they found and old case on it and that dodge does not have a fix. We will call you if we hear anything. In the meantime, I left my jacket in the truck and it smells like the fishbowl. My kids don't want to rid in the truck, feel sick when they do. I am going to start a sh**t storm on Monday. I just bought a new cts at this dealership and this fishbowl truck. This is completely unacceptable since its a known issue since may 2013. Why not change the hoses and flush the system going back to the old coolant. Oh, the dealer changed my oil, told me 95 dollars for Mobil one synthetic and when I go to pay the bill they made a mistake, it's 125. The customer rep calls and says sorry, we will give you a credit of 25 dollars on your next service.. I will not be getting any more service at motorwold and if they don't fix this fishbowl soon They will never see me buy another car there. In the last ten years I purchased seven new cars from these clowns... Anyone have emails or contact info for dodge execs please send over the war will start Monday.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:55 AM

Vehicle: 2014 1500 4x4 CC Laramie 392
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Bright White
Rep:24
ramit355 is on a distinguished road

Give Em Hell Jim!!!!!!

UOTE=jimbopa;1252213]So I took my 2013 dodge ram in to get the dealer, motorwold in Wilkes barre to address the issue. I first talked to dodge customer care who advised I need to take in to dealer to establish a case number. Both the dealer and dodge play dumb on the smell issue. I wait around for three hours and the dealer tells me they sent a message into dodge, they found and old case on it and that dodge does not have a fix. We will call you if we hear anything. In the meantime, I left my jacket in the truck and it smells like the fishbowl. My kids don't want to rid in the truck, feel sick when they do. I am going to start a sh**t storm on Monday. I just bought a new cts at this dealership and this fishbowl truck. This is completely unacceptable since its a known issue since may 2013. Why not change the hoses and flush the system going back to the old coolant. Oh, the dealer changed my oil, told me 95 dollars for Mobil one synthetic and when I go to pay the bill they made a mistake, it's 125. The customer rep calls and says sorry, we will give you a credit of 25 dollars on your next service.. I will not be getting any more service at motorwold and if they don't fix this fishbowl soon They will never see me buy another car there. In the last ten years I purchased seven new cars from these clowns... Anyone have emails or contact info for dodge execs please send over the war will start Monday.[/QUOTE]
Old 11-23-2013, 02:09 PM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:29
Brandon .30-06 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbopa View Post
So I took my 2013 dodge ram in to get the dealer, motorwold in Wilkes barre to address the issue. I first talked to dodge customer care who advised I need to take in to dealer to establish a case number. Both the dealer and dodge play dumb on the smell issue. I wait around for three hours and the dealer tells me they sent a message into dodge, they found and old case on it and that dodge does not have a fix. We will call you if we hear anything. In the meantime, I left my jacket in the truck and it smells like the fishbowl. My kids don't want to rid in the truck, feel sick when they do. I am going to start a sh**t storm on Monday. I just bought a new cts at this dealership and this fishbowl truck. This is completely unacceptable since its a known issue since may 2013. Why not change the hoses and flush the system going back to the old coolant. Oh, the dealer changed my oil, told me 95 dollars for Mobil one synthetic and when I go to pay the bill they made a mistake, it's 125. The customer rep calls and says sorry, we will give you a credit of 25 dollars on your next service.. I will not be getting any more service at motorwold and if they don't fix this fishbowl soon They will never see me buy another car there. In the last ten years I purchased seven new cars from these clowns... Anyone have emails or contact info for dodge execs please send over the war will start Monday.
I fully agree with you being pissed off. I have had one truck and an SRT8 300 that had this issue and it was corrected once the coolant was completely flushed, hoses replaced and putting different MOPAR coolant in (PM me if you want to know). I have talked to other techs at the training centre and they have cured trucks by doing the same trick. I had all the parts I needed after a week and the customers have said the stink is fixed.

The problem is the coolant reacting with an additive and then when it flows the the heater core the smell radiates into the truck via the air ducts.

If you were in Canada I have lists of executives that I could give you contacts for but i notice your in the US so these will be useless to you

Good luck and hopefully the dealer will resolve your issue
Brandon
Level 4 Chrysler Tech
Old 11-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 8sp longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Max Steel
Rep:11
MaxDane1 is on a distinguished road

I had this problem, it seems to be fixed. It’s been several months and about 1000kms since they replaced the hoses, reservoir/overflow tank and flushed the system with cascade (they flushed it twice as they didn’t get all the crap out the first time). Very frustrating. If you have this problem and they don’t want to do anything about it I say get it nice and hot go to the dealership on a nice Saturday and show people your truck that are coming to the dealer and highlight this not so great smell. Or tell the guy who is saying there is nothing wrong with it to park it in his attached garage and go from there. It’s a documented problem techs know about it or at least the shop foreman should know about, the service advisors (the people you typically deal with) are trained to know nothing about anything to limited unnecessary costs.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 5.7L
ACR is on a distinguished road

Good evening,

I picked up a 2012 Dodge Ram 5.7L yesterday. Took it on a 15 minute drive through the city, hit the highway. I ran at 100 km/h for only a short time, maybe 2 minutes each way. Another 15 minute drive back to the dealer, through the city.

Signed the papers!

I admit, I love this truck. It's addicting, except for the smell I experienced while driving back to work. Soon after leaving the city, it was once again onto the highway. 5 minutes of highway driving at 100 kmh, I began to detect a terrible smell. This smell is different than what has been previously described. The smell in my truck seemed more musty than that of sulphur or fish, musty mixed with something I cannot describe. It seemed constantly there, though sometimes it would intensify, and lessen, fade, and then smell increased.

Repeat.

Soon after detecting this smell, it was clear I was becoming sick because of it. The temperature was -15C, so I had the heat with defrost on, fan set on 2 clicks out from lowest setting.

I had to drive with a window open in an attempt to lessen the smell. The trip takes a little over an hour and a half to complete. By the time I arrived back at work, my headache had become more of a migraine. I felt slightly strange, perhaps a little off, nauseous, and just felt like puking for a brief amount of time. Two advil, an hour, and started to feel back to normal.

The truck has around 27,000 kms/16,000 miles. Every occurrence has been with years 2013 and 14 from whats been read. Again, mine is a 2012.

To the posters that have washed their hoses and effectively removed the smell.

1. Which hoses did you clean?
2. Did you replace the coolant, if so, with what?
3. Is it ok to replace coolant with non-dodge coolant?

Thanks for the help in advance. Since it was purchased yesterday, If this isn't fixable, I'll have to give it back and get something different. I'll give the hose washing a go, and possible coolant flush(?), and see what happens.

As a side note. After reading about other people experiencing the "musty" smell, they had figured it to be mold in the HVAC, and some say spraying a couple bottles of some special cleaner or Lysol, into the cowl while the truck is running, fan on full, would effectively kill the mold, removing the musty stink. They did this spray method a couple times to remove the smell.

I don't know exactly which of these issues the ram has, could the two be linked?

Please send help!! Hah! I will remove rad cap tomorrow and be prepared to vomit. Will check back in with rad cap test. It's far too cold and windy out there to check it tonight!