DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Washing & Waxing


Notices

Washing & Waxing Washing and Waxing your Dodge Ram! Talk about it here!


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-04-2013, 12:02 PM
rrgmrg rrgmrg is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: So Cal
Posts: 166
Gender: Male
Vehicle: Shopping for a 2013 Ram 1500
Rep Power: 2
Rep:104
rrgmrg will become famous soon enoughrrgmrg will become famous soon enough
Default Using an orbital to remove wax?

Anyone use their orbital for wax removal? I know that Griots sells a wax removal bonnet and claims that it works well. Seems like if it works it could speed up a wax job and could potentially bring out some more shine.

Thanks,

Randy
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 12-04-2013, 12:18 PM
Hermes1's Avatar
Hermes1 Hermes1 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member

 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 60
Posts: 2,575
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 8
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Random orbital machines such as the Griot's Garage you mentioned can be used to remove wax and I have found saves some elbow grease, though in theory, with a high quality wax, properly applied little effort in buffing should be required. It will be interesting to see if Primo Spaghetti and/or Lead Foot Luke chime in as they are the resident experts on all things washing, polishing, waxing and detailing in general.
__________________
Regards, Bruce
Sure you can take my truck, the door is un-locked and the keys are under my Akita.

Last edited by Hermes1; 12-04-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Content
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-04-2013, 06:54 PM
Leadfootluke Leadfootluke is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 420
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 7
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes1 View Post
Random orbital machines such as the Griot's Garage you mentioned can be used to remove wax and I have found saves some elbow grease, though in theory, with a high quality wax, properly applied little effort in buffing should be required. It will be interesting to see if Primo Spaghetti and/or Lead Foot Luke chime in as they are the resident experts on all things washing, polishing, waxing and detailing in general.
I have never used a bonnet to remove wax, so I can't comment from experience. But the products I use are easy to remove if applied correctly, which actually makes it much quicker than pulling out a machine. I also like to use multiple sides of a folded towel and feel I can remove the product better when I have control over that.

Even though this "shouldn't" be an issue, if any super small piece of debris gets caught in the bonnet, you will be instilling millions of super small swirls in your paint, which is inherently the risk of using any machine polisher, but if I can go through applying and removing the wax or sealant without a polisher, I will feel like I have more control over the condition of the paint.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Jayincali's Avatar
Jayincali Jayincali is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: So Cal, I.E.
Posts: 511
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram 8 Speed 3.92
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Peral
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep Power: 3
Rep:95
Jayincali will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
I have never used a bonnet to remove wax, so I can't comment from experience. But the products I use are easy to remove if applied correctly, which actually makes it much quicker than pulling out a machine. I also like to use multiple sides of a folded towel and feel I can remove the product better when I have control over that.

Even though this "shouldn't" be an issue, if any super small piece of debris gets caught in the bonnet, you will be instilling millions of super small swirls in your paint, which is inherently the risk of using any machine polisher, but if I can go through applying and removing the wax or sealant without a polisher, I will feel like I have more control over the condition of the paint.
100% agree. Me personally, I would never use a wax removal bonnet to remove any type of wax or polish. As stated above any tiny piece of debris gets caught up, that would be it, and if you are lucky the, swirls you just instilled will buff out again.

If the wax isn't completely removed with a light wipe of a towel, then 1) you are using cheap product, 2) You applied the product waaay to thick. There shouldn't be any "buffing" wax off, it should be a quick wipe down with minimal effort. or 3) you applied/removing in direct sunlight and the product being used doesn't work in direct sunlight.

I usually avoid products that can't be used in direct sunlight, as I can't always be in full shade.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2013, 07:46 AM
primo spaghetti's Avatar
primo spaghetti primo spaghetti is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Member



 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: southern ontario
Posts: 2,296
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2014 Ram Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Maximum Steel Metallic
Rep Power: 6
Rep:910
primo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to beholdprimo spaghetti is a splendid one to behold
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadfootluke View Post
I have never used a bonnet to remove wax, so I can't comment from experience. But the products I use are easy to remove if applied correctly, which actually makes it much quicker than pulling out a machine. I also like to use multiple sides of a folded towel and feel I can remove the product better when I have control over that.

Even though this "shouldn't" be an issue, if any super small piece of debris gets caught in the bonnet, you will be instilling millions of super small swirls in your paint, which is inherently the risk of using any machine polisher, but if I can go through applying and removing the wax or sealant without a polisher, I will feel like I have more control over the condition of the paint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayincali View Post
100% agree. Me personally, I would never use a wax removal bonnet to remove any type of wax or polish. As stated above any tiny piece of debris gets caught up, that would be it, and if you are lucky the, swirls you just instilled will buff out again.

If the wax isn't completely removed with a light wipe of a towel, then 1) you are using cheap product, 2) You applied the product waaay to thick. There shouldn't be any "buffing" wax off, it should be a quick wipe down with minimal effort. or 3) you applied/removing in direct sunlight and the product being used doesn't work in direct sunlight.

I usually avoid products that can't be used in direct sunlight, as I can't always be in full shade.
couldn't have said it better. i only use an RO for application of wax and that is only occasionally.
__________________
2014 Dodge Ram 4X4 Sport, BakFlip F1 cover, Weathertech DigiFit Liners, BedRug bed mat, PIAA Extreme White Fog Bulbs, ProComp 2.5" / 1.5" Nitro Level Lift, Zone Off Road Upper Control Arms, ProComp 5050 20" -12 offset, MT Deagan 38 35x12.5.20, iron Cross Step Bars, DeeZee Tail Gate Strut

I am the heir to the primo spaghetti sauce fortune!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum