DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Brakes

Notices

Brakes Brake Maintenance and Replacement

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-05-2013, 09:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT - Big Horn
Color: Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:18
jeb6294 is on a distinguished road
Default My Brakes are F@#$ed

The brakes started grinding a bit the other day. It's only been a couple days but it got a lot worse real quick.

Tonight stopped to eat and when I went to back out of my spot it felt like I was hung up on something. It was bad enough to make sure something hadn't gotten lodged under one of my wheels. It was the brakes dragging. Once I got it into Drive it quit dragging but the grinding was still there.

I haven't been able to get it in to the shop yet, but I'm guessing that for less than what they'll want to charge I could get one of the EBC kits and swap out the rotors and pads myself.
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

The minute you hear any type of grinding coming from your brakes, address it ASAP.

I too found this out the hard [expensive] way many years ago.

Good luck.

Grub out!
Old 12-05-2013, 10:07 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a grinding sound it's quite possible it's a bearing issue and not brake related.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Is there an easy way to tell which one it is short of jacking the thing up and seeing if there's any play in the wheel? The scraping feel is there whether I'm going straight or turning. It definitely feels like it's coming through the brake pedal but it could just be that it's the most direct connection to the wheels. Probably hoping it's the brakes because I could probably do those myself...new hub would probably have to take it somewhere.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: red/grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:26
wchnu is on a distinguished road

If it is the brakes you should see the rotor messed up. No need to jack up or anything that way.

George Washington
Old 12-06-2013, 11:55 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2007 1500 Mega Cab 4X4 3.73
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:185
namretsud has a spectacular aura aboutnamretsud has a spectacular aura about

Hub assemblies aren't that hard to change. When I got my Mega and went to have it saftied, it needed a front drivers hub replaced. Cost from dealer using an offshore pare was going to be around $1100 cdn. I picked up the hub and universal for Less than $250us delivered and did the r&r myself in the driveway and saved big bucks. Jack your truck up and take the tires off and inspec the rotor and pads. You may even have a pad the has delaminated causing the noise. A quick visual will help determine your course of direction.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

I'm leaning towards the brakes. I turned the radio off this morning and tried to really pay attention to what was going on. There was a little scraping noise at lower speeds but it was really bad whenever I'd hit the brakes. As soon as I let off the sound would decrease quite a bit and I'd go back to a light scraping noise like I've got metal from a pad hitting my rotor.

Leaving our subdivision is a straight followed by two intersections, one with a right turn and the other a left turn. As I was headed out this morning the light scraping was pretty well constant up the straight and through both turns.

I went ahead and ordered some new sport rotors and green 7000 pads from EBC from Autoplicity for just under $300.