DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 4x4 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:100
CharlieL will become famous soon enoughCharlieL will become famous soon enough

Ok, can't help but chime in on this one - particularly since I am an attorney! From reading this thread, I'm curious about what the ticket you were given actually cited you for - there has to be some specific traffic code/statute/etc. written on the ticket. From that, you can find what you were charged with....likely a misdemeanor & the max fine.

Now, for the $750 fine here's how I suggest you look at your situation....especially considering it will likely cost you around that much (or more) for an attorney to represent you in Court to fight the ticket. You should first evaluate what's the worst case situation....you go to court, are found guilty & have to pay the $750 plus court costs on top of that. Many judges will permit you to make a "payment plan" of some sort. So, going by yourself you know your worst case out of pocket at court. Then, what's the cost of the consequences....points on your license could result in higher insurance costs, e.g.

The next thing to analyze is what's the best case situation on your own....you admit you were acting immature & stupid, tell the Judge you are sorry & embarrassed, and he fines you some lesser amount maybe even 0.....but you still pay Court costs. The number of points.????? In my experience, if you take the "fall on the sword" approach (& most importantly have a very clean prior record), the Judge will show leniency and not fine you the max.

Now, if you do hire an attorney either of the same two outcomes are possible.....but add on top of that your attorney's fees, who gets paid regardless of the outcome & most attorneys will require full payment before they go to Court on your behalf.

So, what's this all mean.....just my 2 cents for you to ponder about..... This cannot be legal advice since I'm not licensed to practice law in Texas.

Last edited by CharlieL; 10-04-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:01 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star PKG
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:11
robustRed is on a distinguished road

Update: went into court on Wednesday and sat in for an hour. I did hire a traffic lawyer(Citizen) to represent me. $50(not that much in the grand scheme of things) but they were running late. The judge dismissed all cases with the Citizen lawyer because the law firm did not want us waiting. But in my case, the cop didn't even show up. So I got double lucky. I didn't even have to pay court costs. I have heard good things about Citizen lawyers, one of my co-workers used them in a similar case like mine with HPD and got his dismissed.

2WD-Dsp 93 tune-55 series tires-3.92s-PacesetterLT Headers w/ 3in catted y-pipe- DynoMax Race Bullet- 2.2K ohm power wire- hellwig rear sway bar- 190 Degree Thermostat-
Old 12-08-2013, 01:32 AM

Vehicle: 2007 1500 Mega Cab 4X4 3.73
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Inferno Red
Rep:185
namretsud has a spectacular aura aboutnamretsud has a spectacular aura about

So hopefully lesson learned, if you want to burn rubber and maybe show off a little take it to the track where it is legal and way less expensive.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:39 AM

Very true. I went to the track like 4 times after that ticket lol. Definitely will not be doing that ever again.

2WD-Dsp 93 tune-55 series tires-3.92s-PacesetterLT Headers w/ 3in catted y-pipe- DynoMax Race Bullet- 2.2K ohm power wire- hellwig rear sway bar- 190 Degree Thermostat-
Old 12-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I agree that it should be considered a lesson learned. There's a time and place for most things, and you just happened to be the victim of doing the wrong thing, at the wrong time and place.

I'm pretty sure the significance of it will fade over time but it'd do you well to try and remember it before you get the notion to do something you very well know that you shouldn't.

All of that being said...Awesome!
Old 12-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Addicted to the Z

Vehicle: 2014 RAM 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Crew Cab 4X4 Limited
Color: PX8 Black
Engine: 2014-20?? 182.3ci (3.0L) L630DOHC V6 240hp 420lb/ft Eco-Diesel
Rep:2471
RansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond reputeRansRAM has a reputation beyond repute
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by robustRed View Post
Update: went into court on Wednesday and sat in for an hour. I did hire a traffic lawyer(Citizen) to represent me. $50(not that much in the grand scheme of things) but they were running late. The judge dismissed all cases with the Citizen lawyer because the law firm did not want us waiting. But in my case, the cop didn't even show up. So I got double lucky. I didn't even have to pay court costs. I have heard good things about Citizen lawyers, one of my co-workers used them in a similar case like mine with HPD and got his dismissed.
^^^^ Good the hear, fighting it is always the best option as it delays prosecution and usually results in a reduced fine or no fine at all. I had a BS turning violation a couple of years ago, went to court and the cop did not show so no fine for a couple of hours of my time.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:14 AM

Thank you guys for your support. With your advise and some of my judgment, I am almost certain that had the cop showed, and lawyer present, that I would have had a much, much better fighting chance.