DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-11-2013, 02:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Color: Black on black on black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
icallshotgun88 is on a distinguished road
Default first oil change for new truck...

on a brand new truck, when would you do your first oil change?

the salesman told me 1,000 miles

the service department guy told me 5,000 miles

and a friend told me 3,000

at normal oil change intervals?

This is my first brand new vehicle...

i come from the world of street bikes where you do the very first oil change after 500ish miles...

this is because everything is so tight and bits of metal shavings grind off..so the oil has bits and pieces of small metal and needs to be changed early...

this is only on brand new engines for street bikes, I just don't know what applies for trucks/cars...I know the engines are completely different...(street bike engines running at much higher RPMs and at much higher compression levels)

I'm at about 900 miles and wondering if I should get it done at the 1k mile mark..?

Last edited by icallshotgun88; 12-11-2013 at 02:18 AM.
Sponsored links
Old 12-11-2013, 02:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram quad
Color: gray
Rep:321
bartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the rough

I do my first oil change within the first 1,000 maybe even less. On my racing engines The joe gibs racing oil is $100 and it runs for less than 1hr and gets dumped.

all the engines first start shavings are in the oil. rings bearings casting flash ect is going threw the engine. I like to do my fist couple changes pretty quick and after that 7,000 on dino oil 10,000 on syn ....
Old 12-11-2013, 05:54 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Cherry Red
Rep:465
Monster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of lightMonster5601 is a glorious beacon of light

There is nothing unique with the first oil change, if you hear different it is just legacy thinking from the old days. Change it when the oil life monitor tells you.

I purchased Chrysler's oil change contract, four oil changes for $87 in my market. The small print, the contact has a life of two years. I have the oil changed every six months and the oil life monitor on the last oil change (which was the first one) was at 39%.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:39 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:519
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I did mine around 6k. I intended to do it at 5k, but things came up. I agree with monster that the first oil change is no longer unique as it used to be. Advancements in manufacturing quality for example mean that these trucks have a very short break in period (I believe 300 miles according to the manual), and likewise there will be virtually no shavings and other contaminants left over from manufacturing for the first oil filter to pick up.

From what I could tell, the oil indicator in my truck had me on track for a 10k interval. Monster, did you have about 6100 on it when you changed your oil?
Old 12-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4WD Quad Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:2549
Hermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond reputeHermes1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster5601 View Post
There is nothing unique with the first oil change, if you hear different it is just legacy thinking from the old days. Change it when the oil life monitor tells you.

I purchased Chrysler's oil change contract, four oil changes for $87 in my market. The small print, the contact has a life of two years. I have the oil changed every six months and the oil life monitor on the last oil change (which was the first one) was at 39%.
Probably true with the modern engines. I am a creature of habit and so I changed mine at 500 miles (dino) then again at 1,000 miles (synthetic). Also makes me feel warm and fuzzy. The reality is waiting to change at the normal intervals will not kill your engine, nor will changing it early. Do what you feel comfortable with.