DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 > Exhaust

Notices

Exhaust 5.7 HEMI Exhaust Discussion

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-14-2013, 08:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram Rcsb
Trim Level: SLT 4x4 3.92
Color: PDM Metallic Gray
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:32
RcsbHemi is on a distinguished road

Remove the resonator. I have the 14 inch magnaflow and it was too quiet, so i eventually removed the resonator. It is considerably louder. I did notice a little more drone but it is nothing compared to how good the truck sounds now.

Mods: Magnaflow DOD14(resonator removed) line-x, tint, silverstars, tonno pro trifold tonneau, LED Licence plate and reverse bulbs, 2- 27w led fog lights behind grille. more to come........
Old 12-20-2013, 08:05 AM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM Big Horn 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:58
Spike will become famous soon enough

I removed the resonators in two separate vehicles over the years and won't be doing it again.

Yes, it increased the sound and that was nice but without the resonators, both rigs had the ever so slight, high frequency vibration that was translated though the exhaust and then though the floor board and anything else that was connected rigidly to the drive train. On normal commutes to work, it was hardly noticeable. But on any length of highway driving, I could feel it in my feet. After an hour, my feet would tingle and go numb. It happened to my wife too.

I slapped the resonator back in, and the numbness went away. So, in the end, it was just too annoying to ignore the vibration.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:10
mreed1491 is on a distinguished road

I was about to pull off the resonators. However I don't want drone. In the original post i put the wrong muffler number. I have a magnaflow 12588, maybe I should get a different muffler
Old 12-21-2013, 05:13 PM

Vehicle: 2013 RAM 1500
Trim Level: EXPRESS QUAD CAB
Color: BRIGHT SILVER
Rep:10
BigOrange is on a distinguished road

I've got a Magnaflow 14" w/o reso's and love the sound. You will here it a little more in the cab, but it's a great sound!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 02:00 PM

Vehicle: 2010 1500 Sport 5.7L Hemi
Trim Level: Sport Quad Cab
Color: Mango Tango
Rep:98
MangoTangoMofo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreed1491 View Post
I was about to pull off the resonators. However I don't want drone. In the original post i put the wrong muffler number. I have a magnaflow 12588, maybe I should get a different muffler
If you are running the 12588 magnaflow you're crazy if you leave the resonators on. It's the same muffer that I run and its the exact same one that comes in the magnaflow cat-back kit (and if you look at the cat-back kit you'll notice that it deletes the resonators as well). I originally wanted the 14" magnaflow until I actually heard it in person. From the exterior of the truck it sounds amazing but the drone that it induces inside the cab while cruising I found unbearable.

Although this is not exact science and only my opinion (keeping in mind that sound is subjective and knowing full well I may start a fight on here sorry in advance) I am a firm believer that this has to do with the case size of the muffler. The more popular 14,18 & 24 inch mufflers found in the mufflex kits all have a 5x8inch case which is a size that induces drone where the 22" 12588 has a 5x11 inch case and doesn't. So removing the resonators on a 5x8inch case muffler will amplify the drone that pre-exists from the muffler and you don't get the same result by removing the resonators on a muffler with a 5x11 inch case.

This is my observation from directly comparing my set up on a 2010 quad-cab sport with a 22" muffler and a resonator delete with no drone to my buddies 2010 quad-cab laramine with a 14" maggy and resonators still in place that drones like crazy! And surprisingly the exterior volume of our 2 set ups is very similar however mine has a deeper tone where his is more raspy but in-cab the trucks are completely different animals. Mine is tame as can be and you have to listen for it to notice it, where his truck reminds you that it's there every mile of the trip.

I say save your $ and delete the resonators and see if you like it, just be sure to keep the parts in case you ever want it reversed... but purchasing a different muffler like the 14" to increase the sound but keep the drone down will be a failing venture... JMHO from hearing and driving in both setups.

5x11x22 Magnaflow with a resonator delete // Rough Country 2.5F&1.75R level kit // 17 XD Cranks // 35x12.5x17 Toyo MT's // Air Lift 1000 // Armor Thane bed liner // Century Ultra Sport Canopy // Yakima Roof Rack // Mopar side steps // Custom Browning Mudflaps

Last edited by MangoTangoMofo; 12-22-2013 at 02:11 PM.