DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-05-2013, 10:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 1500 big horn
Trim Level: big horn
Color: flame red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:16
2011bighorn is on a distinguished road
Default Coolant leak

Hey guys just posting about my current situation. I have had a coolant leak off and on, on my 2011 1500 bighorn. I took it to dealer for oil change and asked them to check it out. They said we see old dried coolant nothing new. They put the due in and told me to come back the next day. I go back they pressure test it and can't get it to leak of course. They told me we see a small spot where it might possibly be coming from. They order a new water pump gasket and tell me they will call when it's in. That was the 23. I gave them until the 2 of dec due to holiday and called back because now when I start the truck first thing on cold mornings, it leaks like a bastard until truck gets to operating temp. They had me drop the truck off last night to see if they can get it to duplicate the issue I describe. The think the water pump has a small weep hole in it that closes when it gets warm. And I course the water pump is on national back order for Chrysler. They haven't called yet to tell me what it exactly is yet it will repost when I find out.
Sponsored links
Old 12-05-2013, 12:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: SLT 4x4
Color: Red
Rep:10
whatroads is on a distinguished road

Hate to say this......If there is coolant coming form the weep hole you have a dead water pump
Old 12-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

They replaced the gasket and said it didn't look like there was anything wrong with the pump itself. Tomorrow morning will be the ultimate test when it sits over night tonight in cold temp then is started. They also replaced thermostat because they said it looked like it had a little leak around it too.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 Ram 1500 4X4 / 3.55 LSD
Trim Level: Outdoorsman Crew Cab
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl Coat
Engine: 2013-20?? 220ci (3.6L) Pentastar 305hp 269lb/ft
Rep:1043
gcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud ofgcscott has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatroads View Post
Hate to say this......If there is coolant coming form the weep hole you have a dead water pump
If you have coolant coming out the weep hole on the water pump than the bearing shaft seal is bad and the only fix is a new water pump.

Greg

Old 12-10-2013, 05:17 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:136
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough
Default Water pumps

I've owned lots of different vehicles over the years and of them all, only two have leaked as you've described,...both times it was a water pump gone bad. The puzzling part here though is that your truck is an '11. The two leaks that I experienced were on vehicles with over 150k miles on them. But, if there's a national backorder situation, then for sure sounds like a defect issue with the water pumps.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:32 AM

Vehicle: 2013 Ram quad
Color: gray
Rep:321
bartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the roughbartlett is a jewel in the rough

Cold leak is very common in water pumps. The shafts shrink from the cold and leak. the weep hole is a built in fail safe. It is designed to let the water past the first seal and the leak is to tell you the water pump is about to fail.

To me it sounds like the dealership is stalling because they cant get the water pumps.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:47 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

should be able to upgrade with aftermarket. thats what i would do.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

So they replaced the seal was good for 2 days then I started smelling coolant and I knew it wasn't the old coolant burning off the engine because I had already driven 120 miles and smelt nothing. I pop the hood and it is spraying of a hose. My truck started over heating. Took it back to the dealer and they said one of my hoses had a huge hole in it. They replaced and an no more leaks. I'm trying to get the wife on board with trading this thing in before more problems pop up. Only have 8000 miles left on 3yr/36000 warranty.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:14 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:136
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough
Default trade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011bighorn View Post
So they replaced the seal was good for 2 days then I started smelling coolant and I knew it wasn't the old coolant burning off the engine because I had already driven 120 miles and smelt nothing. I pop the hood and it is spraying of a hose. My truck started over heating. Took it back to the dealer and they said one of my hoses had a huge hole in it. They replaced and an no more leaks. I'm trying to get the wife on board with trading this thing in before more problems pop up. Only have 8000 miles left on 3yr/36000 warranty.
Wow,...surprised that your dealer did not catch some indication of an impending hose failure before this ! Just me, but I'd start having my truck serviced at a different dealer in the future if you don't trade off. Think I'd also change the oil now if your truck has overheated, those molecules don't reconstitute back in the same way.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:48 PM

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:621
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

agreed, you need a different dealer.