DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-26-2013, 12:06 AM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Realistically you can expect 17-19mpg combined with the 3.92 gears.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:45 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Burgundy
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
DieTryin is on a distinguished road

I have the 2013 6 speed with 3.92 gears and the only way I can get over 15MPG is driving 65 on flat land. The final gear ratio between the 6 and 8 speed is the same so I guess there must be other changes that make the 4MPG difference. My window sticker says 19MPG highway-no way in hell. I also had a lot less problems with my last 3 new trucks than with this one. I hate taking a new truck to the dealer. I especially hate having to take it back again and again.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:32 AM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:500
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

I get about 18-18.5 combined with the 3.21 gears, I can't imagine that the 3.92s would lose you more than 1MPG if that. If I were you I'd expect 17-18 combined, granted it wouldn't be right after you bought it, but once you get the engine worn it. I know they say there's no break in period, but your mileage will still improve as you put the first few thousand miles on the truck.

With the 8 speed, the gear limiter buttons are on the steering wheel, there is no column or floor shifter for them to be on. They are on the 3 o clock arm just above the cruise control buttons. dawoodsman is correct with regard to how they work.

The 8 speed does have the same top gear ratio as the 5/6 speed, however the intermediate gears have closer spacing so when you downshift it does not increase the engine RPMs as much, so you don't lose as much mileage passing or climbing hills for example. The 8 speed is also more efficient so there is fuel efficiency gained despite the fact that they have the same top gear ratio. I get better mileage in my 2013 4x4 than my dad does in his 2009 4x2 with the 5 speed. They are both Hemi quad cabs with 3.21 rear ends.

Drive both and see which you like better. The Chevy is significantly less powerful and the 8 speed transmission in the Ram has a 4.71:1 1st gear so you'll definitely feel the difference.

Also, not to derail the thread, but what are some of the problems you've been having with your truck DieTryin?
Old 12-26-2013, 08:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Laramie
Trim Level: Longhorn Crew Cab
Color: White/Gold
Rep:487
Silvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of lightSilvercreek is a glorious beacon of light

I have a 2013 RAM 5.7 with a 3:55.1 rear-end gear ratio and haven't been very impressed so far with the fuel mileage at 17 mpg at 65 mph on the highway. My new truck only has 3600 miles on it. I was previously driving an F150 4.6 L Crew Cab that got 21.7 at the same speed. I may have been a little spoiled with the better fuel mileage of the Ford and my expectation may have been a bit to high with the new RAM.

*** US Army Retired - 11B40 - 1964/'85 ***
Old 12-26-2013, 09:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

@Thunder horse:
Touchscreen phone error message
Touchscreen clock looses 10 minutes a week.
Auto dimming mirror quit working
Folding mirror quit working
Error message throttle body sensor
Rear view mirror droops over night- this is stupidly annoying.
Bed rattles
There are more, I keep a list in the truck so I don't loose track when I bring it to the dealer. Not too happy with my purchase at this point.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge sport 1500 hemi
Trim Level: sport
Color: green
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:636
huntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to allhuntergreen is a name known to all

op i hate fords. that being said, would the eco boost f150 be a better fit for the higher altitudes you encounter out there.? if you are looking for mpg, have you looked a 2500 cummins? my rcsb 4x4 sport with 3.55 got a tad over 20mpg hand calc on 400 mile trip up to boston from nj. all hwy. good luck with your choice.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:44 PM
The Sound of Eight Hooves

Vehicle: 2013 Ram1500 4x4 8HP70 3.21LSD
Trim Level: Lone Star Quad Cab
Color: Bright White
Rep:500
Thunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of lightThunderhorse is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieTryin View Post
@Thunder horse:
Touchscreen phone error message
Touchscreen clock looses 10 minutes a week.
Auto dimming mirror quit working
Folding mirror quit working
Error message throttle body sensor
Rear view mirror droops over night- this is stupidly annoying.
Bed rattles
There are more, I keep a list in the truck so I don't loose track when I bring it to the dealer. Not too happy with my purchase at this point.
Has the dealer been able to fix them for you? A few of those seem like they may be fixable with a uconnect update.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse View Post
Has the dealer been able to fix them for you? A few of those seem like they may be fixable with a uconnect update.
Touchscreen seems to be ok but I've only driven it a few times in the last two weeks. Mirrors still don't work, I guess they looked at them and said they fixed them, or I got two broken mirrors in a row. Either way, it doesn't speak to well to Chrysler and the way they build or fix things. Rear view still doesn't stay put. bed still has annoying rattle, I guess I'll just have to fix that myself. I'm not real keen on fixing my brand new truck cause the dealer can't/won't. I really loved this truck when I bought it but it is quickly becoming a pain in my ass. I guess I should stay off these forums, it just makes me more aggravated to talk about it. Especially when I comment on the fuel mileage and get ganged up on. I know it's a bigger more powerful engine than my last truck but my last truck had a window sticker that said 18 MPG highway and I had no problem getting that and better. This truck said 19 and after nearly 5000 miles, I know I will never see even close to that. I'm lucky to get the occasional 15.5MPG
Old 12-26-2013, 05:16 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram RCSB 4x4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Stone White
Rep:100
dbuzz77 will become famous soon enoughdbuzz77 will become famous soon enough

every new vehicle i have had did not get the best mileage until after 10k
Old 12-27-2013, 03:35 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 CC 4X4
Color: Silver
Rep:83
SFVDOC will become famous soon enough

2012 ram 1500 CC 4x4 5.7L hemi, LS, 3.92, 6 speed

I get 12-14 city, 15-19 highway. Anything over 70mph and the mpg drop.